SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Molineux Redevelopment | Wolverhampton | 40,000+ | Phase 1 Completed

2M views 10K replies 240 participants last post by  BlackCountryAl 
#1 ·
Shock plans for Molineux rebuild

Molineux could be completely rebuilt under ambitious plans to increase its capacity to 40,000 plus.

Wolves owner Steve Morgan wants to make the stadium a more intimidating venue for the opposition and create a hotel as part of the grand scheme.

The Molineux chairman was today meeting with chief executive Jez Moxey and architects as part of a series of meetings to form plans.

“We have a 10-year masterplan to develop the club as we want,” said Mr Morgan. “I want to get the crowd closer to the pitch so that the opposition are terrified when they come to our ground.

“Jez and I are meeting with architects today, in fact, to see what we can do. We have a competition going with them to see who can come up with the best proposals.”

It is understood Mr Morgan favours a rebuild of all four stands with an increased capacity on the current 28,500 limit.

Another option would be to lower the pitch to create another tier of seating.

Mr Morgan said: “What has really got to me is just how much of a bond there is with the supporters.

“Now we want to kick on. We are all passing through but I want my reign to be remembered as successful.” Wolves play their final League game on Sunday when they host Plymouth, a game they must win to have any chance of making the end of season play-offs, where a place in the Premier League is at stake.

Should Wolves join Albion in the Premier League by winning promotion through the play-offs, they would be guaranteed £62m and demand to see the team would go through the roof.

Three sides of Molineux were rebuilt by former owner Sir Jack Hayward between 1991-94 for a cost of around £10m.

Sir Jack built a £5m Billy Wright Stand and new North and South Banks at a cost of £2.5m each, while what is now the Steve Bull Stand was refurbished.

See less See more
#8,281 ·
Some negativity on here by some !

Wolves as a club has so much going for it and I for one am happy with the long term plans of the Morgan and Moxey. Yes its disappointing that we went down, but we did and life goes on. If I am honest I am more excited following the club now than last season where we were obviously struggling.

I think most clubs are living in some sort of dream world where they spend more than they earn and that is another reason that I support our sensible approach. Maybe some people on here think ambition means spending more that you can afford. Its always easy to criticise when it involves spending someone else's (or a clubs money) or when you can blame others for making bad decisions after the event. I would rather we stayed solvent while increasing other revenue streams.

As for other broken promises like video screens. Well, who said that they would be installed on completion of one stand ? I never heard that. Yes they are on the renderings of the proposed 3 sides of the redevelopment so maybe that will be also be the best time to install them. i.e. 2 matching screens. I would really not like it if we got one now and later had one at the other end that looked different because of obsolescence / new models etc. Better to be patient and wait, after all we have not had one for such a long time anyway.

#8,283 · (Edited)
I think the thing about the screens is that we have them stupid towers in the corners not doing anything. I don't see why they couldn't attach 2 screens to them until/if the 3 sides are finished then move them
Exactly! Other older grounds in the lower league clubs, have them all WORKING! What's the point of them being there otherwise?
Maybe it's because of the mainly drivel football played over the past 2 or more seasons ..
With how many home wins? M & M don't won't to see the drivel repeated on big screens, do they :lol:

Stale is saying he will be given money to spend to strengthen the team in January? Maybe 2 or 3 million? That's why Mr Morgan won't invest in new screens also. Tight a$$ with all £24 million from summer sales, plus all the houses built in Compton for £££££millions in his pockets :lol:

Thousands will still fall for the early bird again for next season no doubt too.

Seasons Greetings :cheers:

#8,285 · (Edited)
Exactly! Other older grounds in the lower league clubs, have them all WORKING! What's the point of them being there otherwise?
Maybe it's because of the mainly drivel football played over the past 2 or more seasons ..
With how many home wins? M & M don't won't to see the drivel repeated on big screens, do they :lol:

Stale is saying he will be given money to spend to strengthen the team in January? Maybe 2 or 3 million? That's why Mr Morgan won't invest in new screens also. Tight a$$ with all £24 million from summer sales, plus all the houses built in Compton for £££££millions in his pockets :lol:

Thousands will still fall for the early bird again for next season no doubt too.

PS. Scrooge has got Wolves fans paying already for the screens in the museum.. Even kids :(
£7777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777..

#8,286 ·

Name a Championship club who have spent more money than we have so far this season.

#8,288 ·
Don't you mean..
Name a championship club besides us that has £30 million and more to spend?

Or is better off financially to get us back to the promised land of the premiership. By buying good players and building a good team, rather than homes or stands??

After reading your last few comments and replies to others, I've come to the conclusion that posts you make from this point forward are to just be ignored. Literally not even worth the time it takes to read them. You almost always entirely miss the point of what someone has said to you, and then misconstrue it into something completely different. You have no interest in genuine discussion at all. You seem incapable of applying logic to your own arguments, or often even properly structuring a coherent sentence. You seem to live in a strange doom world completely unattached from reality, where things that you imagine are suddenly fact.

Respond to this comment however you wish, sir, as I shall not read it.

#8,289 · (Edited)
Don't you mean..

Or is better off financially to get us back to the promised land of the premiership. By buying good players and building a good team, rather than homes or stands??
What's doom and gloom about getting back to the premiership as I proposed??

By logically spending at least the profits from the summer sales of players??

Like I said it seems to me the standards & expectations of this great football club have nosed dived in the passed 2 to 3 seasons.
Well, at least by a few on this forum that are content to watch championship football rather than premiership.

Content! content! content! with the championship and Mr Moxey's spin

Stoke City FC are doing much much better since he left, did you not notice?

#8,291 · (Edited)
Would rather have a financially stable Championship club (which is itself still a respectable league to be in and has only resulted in an £80k drop of profits if I read right) than be crashing through the leagues like Coventry or Portsmouth.
See you championship generation are all content and took in by Mr Moxey's spin..
Quote " It's going to get worse before better " . So please keep giving us your money. :bash:

Looking down instead of UP!

NO EXPECTATIONS OF SOME GLORY DAYS AGAIN!

Like this once great club had in the 1950's & 70's to 80 :cheers:

#8,292 ·
Don't you mean..

How many teams have ever spent that sort of money in one Championship season? There's no way you'd get value for money on that sort of spend at this level, you'd just end up with a huge squad containing very similarly able players as anyone good enough to really improve you would be waiting for a Premier League offer.

It's far more sensible to keep back a fair chunk of the Jarvis/Fletcher money seen as we lost a huge chunk of income over the summer thanks to relegation. That money combined with the parachute payments means the damage isn't too bad.

We still managed to replace most of what we lost with our summer activity too, Jarvis>Sako Kightly>Peszko Fletcher>Sigurdarson Milijas>Doumbia Craddock>Margreitter. There's no point spending on top of that just for the sake of it.

Bet you're convinced the club is 'doing it on the cheap' appointing Thelwell as the long await Director of Football type too aren't you?

Muppet.

#8,293 ·
I'm not championship generation, I ashamedly only really started to follow the Wolves when they went up into the Premiership the time before last. Even so, I still don't think being in the championship is the ultimate shame. It's bad, yes, worse than being in the Premiership, but it's far better than they could be, and we seem to be doing relatively well if we can pick it up a little in the last few games before the break.

#8,294 · (Edited)
How many teams have ever spent that sort of money in one Championship season? There's no way you'd get value for money on that sort of spend at this level, you'd just end up with a huge squad containing very similarly able players as anyone good enough to really improve you would be waiting for a Premier League offer.

It's far more sensible to keep back a fair chunk of the Jarvis/Fletcher money seen as we lost a huge chunk of income over the summer thanks to relegation. That money combined with the parachute payments means the damage isn't too bad.

We still managed to replace most of what we lost with our summer activity too, Jarvis>Sako Kightly>Peszko Fletcher>Sigurdarson Milijas>Doumbia Craddock>Margreitter. There's no point spending on top of that just for the sake of it.

Bet you're convinced the club is 'doing it on the cheap' appointing Thelwell as the long await Director of Football type too aren't you?

Muppet.
YES ON THE CHEAP AGAIN!
Just look at those players against the others. Like for like?
Maybe Sako is the only one that will in years to come be better than Jarvis?
Doumbia, Siggy they paid around 2 to 3 million so x 10 it's gonna take that much yes just to replace all the dead wood and get a decent team now.
Remember with Fletcher Jarvis Knightly and all. The end of last season we did not win a game in 15. So you don't have to be Sir Alex or Brian Clough to see the complete team what was left, needs to be rebuilt and changed but with quality ;)

What also did Mr Moxey do for the new manager pre-season. Waiting right until the end to get the best price for the fore mentioned players. Leaving Stale only the rest of the league one standard players to work with, barring his new buys.

Stale has done a very good job considering the muppets he has to work with.

Did you see the Wolves vs Honved on BBC TV Local News tonight..
Wolves were classed as one of the best teams IN THE WORLD in the '50's! with 55,000 in attendance

Now supports are content for mediocracy in the championship and a chairman that will build MAYBE a quality new stadium. But not pay for and build a quality new team.

CART BEFORE THE HORSE ..
Just like in the 1980's when they built the John Ireland Stand. :bash:

Sir Jack sold the club to Mr Morgan for £10 on the promise he'd pay £millions to build a quality team not a new ground!

#8,295 ·
YES ON THE CHEAP AGAIN!
Doumbia, Siggy they paid around 2 to 3 million so x 10 it's gonna take that much yes just to replace all the dead wood and get a decent team now.
Remember with Fletcher Jarvis Knightly and all. The end of last season we did not win a game in 15. So you don't have to be Sir Alex or Brian Clough to see the complete team what was left, needs to be rebuilt and changed but with quality ;)

What also did Mr Moxey do for the new manager pre-season. Waiting right until the end to get the best price for the fore mentioned players. Leaving Stale only the rest of the league one standard players to work with, barring his new buys.

Wolves were classed as one of the best teams IN THE WORLD in the '50's! with 55,000 in attendance

Now supports are content for mediocracy in the championship and a chairman that will build MAYBE a quality new stadium. But not pay for and build a quality new team.

CART BEFORE THE HORSE ..

Sir Jack sold the club to Mr Morgan for £10 on the promise he'd pay £millions to build a quality team not a new ground!
I see the problem now, you're a massive ****.

#8,297 ·
Jay Jay Joy said:
YES ON THE CHEAP AGAIN!

CART BEFORE THE HORSE ..

Mmmmmm not quite right
John ireland stand was opened in 1979.
It single handedly nearly destroyed the club.
Its a great example of how "ambition" cam kill a club
Not the price of building the stand but the cost of buying the land & houses up that surrounded the ground at the time.

Some of us have been to Chorley & back so dont claim we lack ambition!

To make the club competitive isnt done over night with big money signings, its done over many years of slow building, same as a wall, it needs foundations!

#8,298 · (Edited)
Mmmmmm not quite right
John ireland stand was opened in 1979.
It single handedly nearly destroyed the club.
Its a great example of how "ambition" can kill a club
Not the price of building the stand but the cost of buying the land & houses up that surrounded the ground at the time.

To make the club competitive isnt done over night with big money signings, its done over many years of slow building, same as a wall, it needs foundations!
Sir Jack built great foundations and a ground that would still be one of the best today bar Brighton in the championship.
NO NEED TO CHANGE THAT!
Yes Brighton done it the right way. Like we did in the late 80's to 90's.

We are going in the other direction this time though on the playing field that is. Or have we just turned the corner?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.