SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Molineux Redevelopment | Wolverhampton | 40,000+ | Phase 1 Completed

2M views 10K replies 240 participants last post by  BlackCountryAl 
#1 ·
Shock plans for Molineux rebuild

Molineux could be completely rebuilt under ambitious plans to increase its capacity to 40,000 plus.

Wolves owner Steve Morgan wants to make the stadium a more intimidating venue for the opposition and create a hotel as part of the grand scheme.

The Molineux chairman was today meeting with chief executive Jez Moxey and architects as part of a series of meetings to form plans.

“We have a 10-year masterplan to develop the club as we want,” said Mr Morgan. “I want to get the crowd closer to the pitch so that the opposition are terrified when they come to our ground.

“Jez and I are meeting with architects today, in fact, to see what we can do. We have a competition going with them to see who can come up with the best proposals.”

It is understood Mr Morgan favours a rebuild of all four stands with an increased capacity on the current 28,500 limit.

Another option would be to lower the pitch to create another tier of seating.

Mr Morgan said: “What has really got to me is just how much of a bond there is with the supporters.

“Now we want to kick on. We are all passing through but I want my reign to be remembered as successful.” Wolves play their final League game on Sunday when they host Plymouth, a game they must win to have any chance of making the end of season play-offs, where a place in the Premier League is at stake.

Should Wolves join Albion in the Premier League by winning promotion through the play-offs, they would be guaranteed £62m and demand to see the team would go through the roof.

Three sides of Molineux were rebuilt by former owner Sir Jack Hayward between 1991-94 for a cost of around £10m.

Sir Jack built a £5m Billy Wright Stand and new North and South Banks at a cost of £2.5m each, while what is now the Steve Bull Stand was refurbished.

See less See more
#3 ·
"Wolves owner Steve Morgan wants to make the stadium a more intimidating venue for the opposition and create a hotel as part of the grand scheme."

haha, what a statement! modern football eh!?

In all seriousness, surely this is totally unnessecary? Not because Wolves couldn't theoretically fill 40,000, but because Molineux is fine, surrounded by car parks (ie relatively easy to build upon) and could surely be expanded?

Complete re-build? Seems OTT.

#5 ·
Indeed, but as fans, we are along way from the pitch!

Im split in two minds. I think a complete redevelopment would be needed if we ever wanted to host Major footballing competitions but its still a relatively new stadium anyway so the costs might not be warranted.

Thereotically also James, I dont think anything is happening on a grand scale until a team is being built in the top flight. I think thats what every fan wants. A team first. A stadium second. And when thats done. 40,000 reguarly would be very easy to fill, His even mentioned 50,000 earlier in the year at the fans parliment.

Hopefully we shall hear more over the next few months. Whatever happens. Molineux will remain on the same site. Also any plans will make its current southbank the 2nd largest kop within England, the same statud it had in the 60's and 70's before its downfall which means a sheer terrace fan culture uninterrupted which is also very good.

#6 ·
i've never liked the way the steve bull and billy wright stands curve away from the touchline at molineux, rather than run parallel to it - it just looks messy, and it keeps supporters further back from the action than they need be.

looking forward to seeing proposals for the site, and it's great for wolves that they can stay at molineux and redevelop the place, rather than have to relocate somewhere new and lose all that history and magic of the traditional home.

#7 ·
Indeed, but as fans, we are along way from the pitch!

Im split in two minds. I think a complete redevelopment would be needed if we ever wanted to host Major footballing competitions but its still a relatively new stadium anyway so the costs might not be warranted.

Thereotically also James, I dont think anything is happening on a grand scale until a team is being built in the top flight. I think thats what every fan wants. A team first. A stadium second. And when thats done. 40,000 reguarly would be very easy to fill, His even mentioned 50,000 earlier in the year at the fans parliment.

Hopefully we shall hear more over the next few months. Whatever happens. Molineux will remain on the same site. Also any plans will make its current southbank the 2nd largest kop within England, the same statud it had in the 60's and 70's before its downfall which means a sheer terrace fan culture uninterrupted which is also very good.
That old South Bank was absolutely huge. I've seen pictures of it....ahh the good old days!

#9 ·
i've never liked the way the steve bull and billy wright stands curve away from the touchline at molineux, rather than run parallel to it - it just looks messy, and it keeps supporters further back from the action than they need be.

looking forward to seeing proposals for the site, and it's great for wolves that they can stay at molineux and redevelop the place, rather than have to relocate somewhere new and lose all that history and magic of the traditional home.

They curve in you mean?

#14 ·
Some points, the main stand at Wolves is nearly 30 years old. The end stands are a cheap infill. The other side stand has major circulation problems in the lower tier. For all that though it's a good football ground and given the demands of Wolves it's about on the money for them.

The other point - Steven Morgan...he's a developer, he's not a philathrapist, the move for Wolves was effectively a land deal, he's looking at maximising the activity and use of the stadium footprint, he has no interest in bring fans closer to the action he wants to free space up for hotels, homes, offices and shops - a chelsea village type operation.

I love that 1960/61 plan by the way, working with the awkward shape to create a unique stadium.

#16 ·
Yes it does...
no, i said doesn't matter because i'd just written up another one of my standard fcuking different class posts when the site decided to shit its pants and i lost it. the "doesn't matter" was - fcuk it, i can't be arsed typing that gem up again - doesn't matter.

as for standing at football - been there loads, done it loads, i'd just personally rather sit and actually concentrate on the game instead of being jostled about for 90 minutes. i suppose that makes me a shandy-drinking nouveau fanboy to the old skool terrace hardcore. so be it, but to suggest i have lemonade with my beer? - fcukign outrageous accusation!

#17 ·
Some points, the main stand at Wolves is nearly 30 years old. The end stands are a cheap infill. The other side stand has major circulation problems in the lower tier. For all that though it's a good football ground and given the demands of Wolves it's about on the money for them.

The other point - Steven Morgan...he's a developer, he's not a philathrapist, the move for Wolves was effectively a land deal, he's looking at maximising the activity and use of the stadium footprint, he has no interest in bring fans closer to the action he wants to free space up for hotels, homes, offices and shops - a chelsea village type operation.

I love that 1960/61 plan by the way, working with the awkward shape to create a unique stadium.
Agree with most Tubeman but how can it be a land deal? The land is owned by the council and is leased to Wolves. Infact the Haywards still. Any development has to be fully agreed by the community aswell as the club, its parliment and Morgan. His effectively brought the name and the players. Not the stadium. Not only that but redevelopment plans have been on the table since 2001. However, the uncertainty of who's hands the club lay in delayed any action. Now with a pretty steady chairman, things have begun to move again. Wether it was Robert Plant a musician, Souness a turd or Morgan a developer, Molineux was going to change dramatically whoever took over.

#20 ·
no, i said doesn't matter because i'd just written up another one of my standard fcuking different class posts when the site decided to shit its pants and i lost it. the "doesn't matter" was - fcuk it, i can't be arsed typing that gem up again - doesn't matter.

as for standing at football - been there loads, done it loads, i'd just personally rather sit and actually concentrate on the game instead of being jostled about for 90 minutes. i suppose that makes me a shandy-drinking nouveau fanboy to the old skool terrace hardcore. so be it, but to suggest i have lemonade with my beer? - fcukign outrageous accusation!
its summer! shandy is 100% acceptable now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.