SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Manchester Hospitality

3M views 14K replies 494 participants last post by  dunstable lagerdrinker 
#1 ·
News, views, and nights.

The Southern, Chorlton.

See less See more
#63 ·
Brilliant. I like the Briton's Protection. A guy in work who was at uni in Mcr told me it gets its curious name from its history as an army recruiting inn. Is this true?

I always have a pint there when work takes me to Manchester. Am I imagining this, but was Pevril of the Peak threatened at one point also? That one's good too.
MMM! The Britons Protection eh! Make mine a pink gin sweetie.

#66 · (Edited)
Sorry: that was crass.

Thanks, Longy. Orchestral players recover there? That's good. I think Mr has it wrong maybe. The Halle is a great orchestra but, like all others, hugely talented, committed and hard working its members might be, they're not rich.

That's why they're having a pint in the Briton's. Likewise in Liverpool you'll see them, in penguin costumes, in the Phil and the Everyman. Great places but not where you'll get pink gin.

What's pink gin? I once got a double g and t on an Air India flight. It was blue.

#68 ·
For a start its a listed building and for a second the whole story was a load of bullshit. Some developer was exploring some options and one of the many options was demolishing or moving it. The developer then realised what a fucking stupid idea it was and went about their normal business (ie stamping on fluffy kittens and eating babies). Something out of nothing.
Thats good enough for me. Would still like to see the land around sorted out, but as a smoking garden would be ideal! Im rubbish at keeping tabs on what is listed and not, the place could still need a touch of love outside.

#74 ·
Ithaca: Even Closer

Just a day after I blogged about Ithaca this press release landed in my inbox. The restaurant/bar is going to 'soft launch' in July, with a VIP party in September.

"Ithaca – Manchester ‘s newest and most stylish A-List nightspot looks set to open its doors in a blaze of glory this summer after a two year, multi-million pound fit out.

The eclectic Asian restaurant, which will also house an intimate bar and an exclusive members lounge is the brainchild of entrepreneur and leisure operator Arnie Hira, one of the owners and founders of One Central Street in the city centre.

The extravagant 7,700 square foot venue has seen an investment of more than £4 million to ensure perfection in every detail and is split across four floors boasting a dark and stylish interior.

Arnie, said: “Ithaca has been a long time in the planning and a lot of investment has taken place because I wanted the best of everything.

“I have lavished a huge amount of care and attention on this project and while it has taken a long time to get just right it will be well worth the wait.

“Paul Day, one of the best chefs in the country has created our menu and will be leading the kitchen team and what he has planned has to be seen and tasted to be believed.”

On the ground floor and first floor a stylish yet relaxed restaurant will serve eclectic Asian food to select diners who will be able to see Executive Chef Paul day and his team working through a semi-opaque glass wall.

The second floor is home to a snug bar dominated by a curved 30’ conch shell bartop crafted from a single piece of black Venetian glass worth £160,000.

The third floor of the building will be home to a private members lounge open from 6pm until late and prioritised exclusively for Ithaca Black Card members and their guests ensuring privacy and space.

Arnie, one of the heirs to the Hira Group fortune, said: “Nothing like this has been seen outside of London before now, it will offer something totally new and unique in Manchester.

“We are now approaching the end of a long creative process to get everything just right, but we hope to be open in July and are now working on plans for a VIP launch event later this year.”
http://manchester-clubbing.blogspot.com/

#75 ·
The Warehouse Project 2007

The Warehouse Project is back! The homeless club will be taking over another urban space in October 2007, almost ten months after their last event at the now defunct Boddingtons Brewery (unless you count the Beneath The Streets three-dayer they had back in May, and the upcoming 'Industrial Resolution' at the GMEX 'Manchester Central').

The chosen venue will be 'even bigger than last years', which poses the question: Where? There aren't many venues in Manchester that can hold circ. 3,000 people (The GMEX, Jilly's & The Music Box (at a squeeze) are two of the unlikely places....)

Whilst very little has been revealed yet, the chances are that they'll play from the start of term (the club was hugely popular with the students, who - for once - were given the opportunity to lap up real clubbing) until New Years Eve....

If it's anything like last years then expect that a) it'll be a dirty grimy affair with a nod to house, techno and a few more 'down tempo' events . b) it'll bring some of the biggest jocks in the world to Manchester (again) and c) every other event in Manchester will struggle!
http://manchester-clubbing.blogspot.com/

#77 ·
Well the 4 Restaurants/ Cafes were all supposed to have opened yesterday (20th June) and that didnt happen so they are obviously now going for a July opening as on Ha Ha's website it has them as opening in July so i would imagine an early July opening for Zizzi as it seems to be far along and the others will probably open throughout July.

#78 ·
What’s the current situation with the Britons Protection? Does the owner still want to pull it to develop the surrounding land?
Manchester Confidential have just posted an article and image about this:

http://www.manchesterconfidential.c...IjNwErIWc6IHqjNwB6IA&realname=Sleuth_22/06/07

THE BRITON’S Protection, behind the Bridgewater Hall, is one of Manchester’s finest and most popular pubs. Metier is a developer which owns land on either side and wants to put the pub on a concrete raft and shift it four metres to the east to fit against the wall of Jurys Inn. Of course the Briton’s Protection is listed and nobody but the developer wants this to happen. Or maybe not. It appears the Council are keen to have another tower here to mark the ‘gateway’ to the city from Princess Parkway – see the pic we managed to get hold of below. Sleuth hears on the QT that the Planning Department has indicated to the developer that they would look favourably on the proposal. This despite the storm of protest it has stirred up – inevitably many original features in the pub would be damaged or destroyed. As one regular told Sleuth, “It’s a pointless plan. Although if they could shift it nearer to Piccadilly Station, I suppose I wouldn’t have so far to stagger to the train.”
Obviously it's all pretty meaningless, but still, worth a post

#80 ·
** OPENING SOON!! **

GBK MANCHESTER, SPINNINGFIELDS Friday 29th June 2007 at 12noon
& GBK WINDSOR Mid July
from http://www.gbkinfo.com/

I didnt know about this but Gourmet Burger Kitchen are also going to be opening another store in the Manchester vicinity in Wilmslow which is cool as it is right near me so i may go down there and have a look see when it opens.

** COMING SOON **

WILMSLOW,
CROUCH END, OXFORD and many more!