daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2015, 12:31 AM   #661
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 241

Yeah but this is Liverpool Street station we're talking about, not somewhere funky full of funky people. It's a transport interchange for people who have the kind of jobs for which wearing a suit is a requirement. If you want sexy and feng shui architecture head to Kings Cross.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 10th, 2015, 12:48 AM   #662
Mr Cladding

Likes (Received): 2743

Why hasn't someone put this building toward for the carbuncle cup if forumers feel so negatively towards it ?
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 10:48 AM   #663
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 3179

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker View Post
Yeah but this is Liverpool Street station we're talking about, not somewhere funky full of funky people. It's a transport interchange for people who have the kind of jobs for which wearing a suit is a requirement.
With Shoreditch on its doorstep.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 11:29 AM   #664
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
With Shoreditch on its doorstep.
Yeah I know, and I am in fact a jeans-wearing Shoreditch worker.

But I don't understand what the fuss is about when it comes to the Broadgate area. It's just a functional area to me, not an unpleasant one but not one that I demand much from in the way of emotional reassurance.

I certainly understand why people say that the new building is not the prettiest thing that any city has seen. But I really do like the brutal look and the industrial feel the steel gives off as it glints in the sunshine.

And, it looks somewhat like a prison, which makes me happy because it's housing financial services workers.
Old July 10th, 2015, 11:33 AM   #665
london lad

Likes (Received): 941

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker View Post
Yeah but this is Liverpool Street station we're talking about, not somewhere funky full of funky people. It's a transport interchange for people who have the kind of jobs for which wearing a suit is a requirement. If you want sexy and feng shui architecture head to Kings Cross.
BL are totally reorientating the BG estate to focus on more mixed tenures attracting the Shoreditch tech crowd which is literally a stone’s throw behind this building ( Amazons new HQ is U/C across the road from this).All the new retail and food/bars at Broadgate Circle is geared towards City and Tech crowds.

This building is totally alien to the whole concept they are trying to achieve. It’s a classic case of BL & the Corporation of London bending over backwards to stop UBS moving to CW and to hell with the consequences.

It’s quite cool in a retro 70’s sci-fi way but has now reference to the rest of BG and this building is a huge hulk that dominates BG, cuts off the estate from Appold St, has no cut troughs and no life at ground level. Its essentially a factory farm for UBS bankers.

gothicform liked this post
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 11:57 AM   #666
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Its essentially a factory farm for UBS bankers.

I'm not trying to sell the building to anyone. And it's clear it has haters. I'm just saying that I actually enjoy seeing it. I almost see it as a space ship of some kind, or perhaps as a gigantic exhibit of modern art.

The fact that it does not blend in and looks totally different is precisely what I like about it.
Old July 11th, 2015, 02:34 PM   #667
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 4861

i have to say, it looks best from that position on the broadgate circle. it's like the best angle of an otherwise ugly woman, but half the reason the scene "works" is the broadgate circle, you've even got that small geodesic dome in the middle, oh and a gradient filter on the camera lens combined with perfect light for the cladding of the building. walking around it though it's almost unphotographable as darjole's photos showed a while back. there's nothing attractive, sexy or clever.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 06:27 AM   #668
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

Likes (Received): 390

If anyone were to call for the demolition of the 5 Broadgate building in the future, then you'd have to put up a ~100-metre highrise building on that site.

Also, could 5 Broadgate have had a better-looking exterior façade than it actually has? I think that would be impossible for any building with a large floor area.

Speaking as a member of the "You cant make everything is a major city beautiful" crowd.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.

Last edited by Jim856796; July 17th, 2015 at 06:47 AM.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 09:47 AM   #669
Mr Cladding

Likes (Received): 2743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
If anyone were to call for the demolition of the 5 Broadgate building in the future, then you'd have to put up a ~100-metre highrise building on that site.

Also, could 5 Broadgate have had a better-looking exterior façade than it actually has? I think that would be impossible for any building with a large floor area.

Speaking as a member of the "You cant make everything is a major city beautiful" crowd.
The buildings surrounding it such as those in the Broadgate estate are restricted by the St. Paul's viewing corridor. Consequently 5 Broadgate is fairly low rise when put in context of its location.
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 09:48 AM   #670
Storeys
Hello

Likes (Received): 732

I really quite like like this one. It's huge and quite low rise, but I think that's what the client wanted. The City has to have a mixture of buildings for practical reasons.

The cladding and the way the light reflects off it is great, the different shapes of windows are really interesting. It's got an almost timeless, retro feel about it and I personally find it very stylish.

I'm going to be really controversial now and say I even think it could become an iconic building. I can see this being listed one day.

TedStriker liked this post
Storeys no está en línea   Reply With Quote