daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Bangladesh > Economy, Business & Investments

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 718 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 06:27 PM   #1621
nayeem007

Likes (Received): 579

Plastic money keeps growing

Md Fazlur Rahman

The use of plastic money rose 5.5 percent in the third quarter of fiscal 2014-15 from the previous quarter as local consumers continue to embrace cashless transactions.

The development is in line with the expectations of policymakers, central bank officials and foreign experts, all of whom are bullish about the country's potential in digital payments.

“The country can create a cashless society by familiarising its large population with the digital payment system,” TR Ramachandran, group country manager of Visa Inc for India and South Asia, told The Daily Star recently.

He particularly pointed out the potential of the debit card, saying the number of debit card holders should be 4 crore in Bangladesh.

At the end of the January-March quarter, there were 88.93 lakh credit, debit and pre-paid card holders in Bangladesh in contrast to 84.29 lakh in the quarter that ended in December 2014, according to data from the central bank.

The use of credit cards in withdrawing funds from ATMs, for shopping and e-commerce rose 3.24 percent during the quarter to Tk 1,432 crore. Debit card holders spent Tk 21,386 crore using ATMs, point of sales and e-commerce in the third quarter, up 3.68 percent from a quarter earlier.

Pre-paid card holders spent Tk 59.8 crore in the third quarter in the country, which was Tk 58.8 crore in the second quarter. However, their spending outside the country dropped to Tk 11.3 crore from Tk 14.9 crore a quarter ago.

In digital payments, cheques worth Tk 359,096 crore were cleared using the magnetic link character recognition technology during the January-March period, which was Tk 356,376 crore in the second quarter.

The number of internet banking customers also saw a jump: their number rose to 20.91 lakh in the third quarter from 20.69 lakh a quarter ago.

Internet banking transactions in money terms rose more than 35 percent to Tk 4,929 crore in January-March.

Mobile banking transactions also increased significantly: it was Tk 34,556 crore in the third quarter, up 22.36 percent from the October-December quarter.

The number of mobile banking customers stood at 2.69 crore from 2.52 crore in the second quarter. Agent banking transactions went up 62 percent to Tk 75.5 crore, according to the central bank's latest statistic

http://www.thedailystar.net/business...growing-105454
nayeem007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 2nd, 2015, 07:34 PM   #1622
Ananta_Jalil

Likes (Received): 25

Plastic money is growing and with it will grow fraud - being behind technologically, internet banking fraud/credit card fraud is still rare here.

But it is on the rise.
Ananta_Jalil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 12:23 AM   #1623
jason.kazi
Supermember

Likes (Received): 1147

The True Digital Revolution

“I would like to emphasize that a strategic combination of commendable technical ecosystem and rich content could be the game changer to bring about the true Digital Revolution”

Quazi Shafi Sunny
Project Coordinator of Google Bus in Bangladesh and organizer of Google I/O Extended Dhaka shares his insights about the recently held Google I/O 2015

For the first time, there is an event called Google I/O Extended Dhaka Program. What intrigued you to organize such an event?
This is not the first time that Google I/O Extended Dhaka is being held in Dhaka, it’s the second. The first Google I/O Extended Dhaka was held at HubDhaka organized by Google Developer Group Dhaka (GDG). I was intrigued by the facts how active different Google Communities are Bangladesh is and this was chance to meet and greet everyone who are all somewhat working towards same goal, exemplifying the prospect of ICT Industry in Bangladesh.

What is the response of developers who participated in the event and enjoyed live streaming of the actual I/O event?
The developers are always the core focus group in the I/Os as they are always ahead of the curve in terms of understanding and adaption in comparison to the consumers towards the latest innovations and technology. A good number of developers stayed back to watch the announcements made at Google I/O San Francisco in a similar fashion as football fanatics watch Fifa Worldcup Finals. They were most excited about the announcement made about Project Ara, a modular smartphone project by Google.

How is Google Bus doing in Dhaka?
Google Bus Bangladesh is one of the most important projects to land in the shores of Bangladesh in this golden time of Digitalization, it is going great. Ofcourse, apart from a few setbacks due to the political turmoil in the beginning of the year, it has been persistently been achieving its target of teaching key digital skills to more than half a million students in Bangladesh. I personally think it is a great initiative for first time internet users to familiarize themselves with the possible benefits.

Being an expert in Digital Media marketing, what’s your take on the current scenario?
I think we are in a transition period where we are quickly adapting to the uses of internet and smartphones. If you notice, all major advertising agencies in Bangladesh are investing into their digital wings or developing a separate digital agency due to the growing market demands. One of the most popular tools used to reach audiences in Bangladesh remains Facebook with over 11 million users; I realized that its quick bargain largely undermines the possibilities of the Internet in general with 42 million users in the country. I would like to emphasize that a strategic combination of commendable technical ecosystem and rich content could be the game changer to bring about the true Digital Revolution.

What according to you is the most exciting take-away from this year’s I/O and why?
The most exciting take-away from this year’s Google I/O Extended Dhaka would be finding out audience’s level of fascination towards the various start-ups and initiatives in Bangladesh and by Bangladeshis globally at the local Key-Note presentations in relationship to Google I/O San Francisco’s Key-Notes. I plan to set out for an excavation to establish communication with more such revolutionary initiatives to offer the audiences fresh new narratives in the coming years of Google I/O Extended Dhaka.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jason.kazi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #1624
nayeem007

SK C&C builds Bangladesh’s e-government network

Published : 2015-07-06

SK C&C, South Korea’s IT service provider, said Monday it recently completed Bangladesh’s online national network system, paving the way to expand the country’s e-government services.

The company, an affiliate of SK Group, secured the 32 billion won ($29 million) project in 2012, which aims to connect 368 websites of the central government and public organizations through a single Internet-based network.

In Bangladesh, public information used to be managed separately across local governments, but now the information is controlled under the new integrated network system, the company said.

SK C&C also built a maintenance system called the Total Operation Support System, or TOSS, which can monitor server and storage issues and real-time system errors across the network.

Bangladesh is building up diverse systems for e-government services like land registration, taxation and resident registration.

Starting with the latest project, SK C&C hoped to secure more business opportunities to export Korea’s IT solutions to Bangladesh and other countries.

“We have secured close ties with the Bangladesh government through the project,” said Doh Ji-hun, the company’s global business chief. “SK C&C will continue efforts to become a trusted IT service partner for the country’s further growth.”

SK C&C has offered technical training to some 100 local engineers in recent months on maintaining and monitoring the network. Bangladeshi government officials have also visited Korea to see the company’s headquarters and data center.

On June 23, the company was honored with a plaque of appreciation by the Bangladeshi government.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20150706001005

mirzazeehan1989, jason.kazi liked this post
Old July 9th, 2015, 09:36 PM   #1625
nayeem007

The ascent of e-commerce

http://www.thedailystar.net/business...ommerce-110311
Old July 10th, 2015, 12:56 AM   #1626
Ananta_Jalil

surprised with the demographic breakdown - men 83% - someone should tell my wife - 3 times a week, we have parcels delivered from some online entity or other.

- Mobile phone covers
- jewelery
- make up
- Casual clothing

Then I realized - men because there are actually some big online clothing places (people buying lots from garments) - and so males being dominant at this stage would make sense.
Old July 11th, 2015, 04:20 AM   #1627
tislam84

Likes (Received): 165

Glad to see that more people are using online stores for shopping. Is online food ordering popular in Bangladesh? I would expect that to be popular, especially during lunch time.
tislam84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 04:46 AM   #1628
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Likes (Received): 608

Quote:
Originally Posted by tislam84 View Post
Glad to see that more people are using online stores for shopping. Is online food ordering popular in Bangladesh? I would expect that to be popular, especially during lunch time.
While I don't know how popular food delivery service is in Dhaka, my wife has been using them for quite some time now. She orders meals from various restaurants to be delivered to her relatives on special occasions like birthday, wedding anniversary, etc. It's pretty painless process.
TIslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 05:57 AM   #1629
tislam84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIslam View Post
While I don't know how popular food delivery service is in Dhaka, my wife has been using them for quite some time now. She orders meals from various restaurants to be delivered to her relatives on special occasions like birthday, wedding anniversary, etc. It's pretty painless process.
That's pretty neat!
Old July 11th, 2015, 12:03 PM   #1630
jason.kazi
Supermember

Quote:
Originally Posted by tislam84 View Post
That's pretty neat!
Quite popular. They deliver via motorcycles which allows them to be relatively quick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 12th, 2015, 01:33 AM   #1631
Ananta_Jalil

Don't know about outside of dhaka...but here we actually have two companies one international 'FoodPanda' and the other local - 'HungryNaki' with apps.

So, order online and delivery is within 45 mins.

Obviously they are only scratching the surface atm....but I expect in 2/3 years for things to explode.

Both are pretty reliable and when problems do occur are quick to rectify the situation.

I once ordered 4 pizzas through FoodPanda - only 3 arrived.

They provided me with a coupon for 2 free pizzas next time.

tislam84 liked this post

Last edited by Ananta_Jalil; July 12th, 2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old July 12th, 2015, 07:02 PM   #1632
tislam84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananta_Jalil View Post
Don't know about outside of dhaka...but here we actually have two companies one international 'FoodPanda' and the other local - 'HungryNaki' with apps.

So, order online and delivery is within 45 mins.

Obviously they are only scratching the surface atm....but I expect in 2/3 years for things to explode.

Both are pretty reliable and when problems do occur are quick to rectify the situation.

I once ordered 4 pizzas through FoodPanda - only 3 arrived.

They provided me with a coupon for 2 free pizzas next time.
Thanks for the info!

jason.kazi liked this post
Old July 24th, 2015, 12:10 PM   #1633
jahidus2005

Likes (Received): 23

Cox’s Bazar to become digital surfing city
Tribune Report

The sea beach town Cox’s Bazar is going to be a lot more fun for tourists soon!

The government plans to transform the place into what it dubs a “digital surfing city” featuring a surfing institute and advanced high-speed internet facility.

Under a private-public partnership initiative, Bangladesh Computer Council, the ICT Division and Airtel Bangladesh Ltd signed a memorandum of understanding yesterday to build the surfing institute and an ICT club and provide Wi-Fi hotspot across the town.

The project has been taken as part of the government’s vision to build a digital country.

The tourism city will be branded through radio, television, newspaper, social communication tools and a website.

Digital connectivity is expected to improve the lifestyle of the city dwellers and also support the local and foreign tourists travelling to the city.

Both the residents of and the visitors to the “smart surfing city” will be able to enjoy faster browsing experience at their convenience from any device on the go or from their computers.

Bangladesh Computer Council Executive Director SM Ashraful Islam and Airtel’s Chief Corporate Affairs Officer Ashraful Haque Chowdhury signed the MoU on behalf of their organisations.

State Minister for ICT Division Zunaid Ahmed Palak, ICT Division Secretary Shyam Sunder Sikder, Airtel Managing Director and CEO PD Sarma, Chief Technical Officer Sandipan Chakraborty and Chief Service Officer Rubaba Dowla were present at the signing ceremony.

In recent years, Cox’s Bazar has made steady progress to become a surfing destination for many a surfer – both local and international.

Many tourists and surfers visit Cox’s Bazar to see the world’s longest unbroken sandy beach and to challenge the white waves.

Officials expect that the initiative will redefine Cox’s Bazar and create greater attraction among surfers and tourists.

“This is a path breaking and extremely innovative initiative under PPP programme and I am glad to have Airtel Bangladesh as our partner to establish Cox’s Bazar as an eco-friendly digital surfing city of tomorrow,” said Zunaid Ahmed Palak.

Airtel CEO PD Sarma said: “Connectivity and digitisation are basic necessities in the 21st century. Through innovation and technology the world is coming closer. I am humbled to be a part of this initiative that I believe will not only connect Cox’s Bazar to the rest of the world but will also enhance the lifestyle of its residents.”

- See more at: http://www.dhakatribune.com/banglade....JutSbArA.dpuf

AbidM liked this post
jahidus2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 11:50 PM   #1634
Equinox2
Citizen of the World

Likes (Received): 19

Ticket Sales Business Surfs Rising Tide of Web Usage in Bangladesh

The Muslim festival of Eid al-Fitr is the signal for Ramadan fasting to end and holiday partying to begin.

In Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh, it also prompts an annual exodus, as millions rush to join family and friends for the most important festival of the year. According to the police, over five million people, or almost half of Dhaka’s population, leave the capital during the Eid holidays, putting tremendous strain on already clogged roads, railways and waterways.

This year was no exception. Bangladesh celebrated Eid last Saturday and in the four days preceding it an estimated two million passengers boarded buses, trains and ferries to leave the capital.

The journey is generally chaotic enough, but families desperate to spend Eid in their villages usually have an extra headache to contend with: uncertainty about whether they will be able to get a ticket. Such is the demand for tickets that it can take six hours to buy a ticket for a four-hour bus or boat journey.

Idris Ali, a 27-year-old salesman, wasn’t taking any chances. Sitting with his wife and two sisters on the upper deck of a double-decker ferry at Sadarghat, Dhaka’s bustling river port, on Friday evening, he described his daylong mission to ensure he got a ticket home. Ali had traveled from his rented apartment in Dhaka’s northern Mirpur suburb in the morning and had been sitting on deck since then, waiting for the ferry to depart for the overnight journey to Barisal, his home district on the country’s southern coast.

“We came early because we had to buy tickets,” he said, as he squatted on a blanket spread on the wooden deck. “It would be unthinkable not to go home to spend Eid with my parents.”

This year, though, a small e-commerce start-up began tackling Dhaka’s Eid exodus with an unprecedented innovation: online and mobile ticket sales.

The e-ticketing company, named Shohoz.com, which means “easy” in Bangla, is trying to banish the need to physically go to a ticket counter by offering tickets online through a website and a mobile app. Customers can view listed bus and ferry schedules of different companies, compare fares, view seat availability and book tickets via mobile phone—the first such service in Bangladesh.

Shohoz was started by Harvard Business School alumna Maliha Quadir, who says business is booming—although it’s still a challenge to get some people to believe that a text message on a mobile phone can be their ticket home.

Not too much of a challenge, though: Transport companies allocated roughly a quarter of their total seats for this year’s Eid exodus to the e-commerce start-up. The tickets were sold out within days, says Quadir, who gave up a corporate career in the U.S. to set up Shohoz last year.

Nazrul Islam, a civil servant who used the service last week, said e-ticketing had taken the hassle and uncertainty out of the journey to his village in the coastal Barisal district. He booked ferry tickets for his family of three on Shohoz’s website and had the tickets delivered to his house in Dhaka’s Azimpur neighborhood.

“It was surprisingly easy,” he said. “Before this, I had to set aside an entire day to go and get tickets—and even then you never know if seats are available until you get to the station.”

E-commerce is relatively new in Bangladesh, a country of 160 million people where per-capita annual income stands at around $1,100. Its potential is huge, though, given the proliferation of mobile phones and the growth of Internet use. According to the Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission, the total number of Internet users topped 45 million this year, up from 36 million in 2014. More than 90% of those are using mobile devices to access the Web.

The government has slashed bandwidth costs in recent months in an effort to spur Internet-based services and has introduced policies that have allowed mobile money transactions to boom.

Officials at Bangladesh Bank, the central bank, say average GDP-growth of nearly 6% and rapid urbanization in Bangladesh have contributed to the emergence of a middle class, which is expected to provide fertile ground for e-commerce, something start-ups such as Shohoz are keen to exploit.

Eid is not only the season for family get-togethers, but also a time for shopping sprees, meaning commuters faced a perfect storm of holiday gridlock last week.

Farzana Ahmed, a banker in Dhaka’s upscale Gulshan neighborhood, says she beat the traffic and the long queues by doing her Eid shopping online.

“I had to buy some sarees for myself and shirts for my husband,” she said. “I paid with a credit card and the clothes were delivered to my house. That wouldn’t have been possible a couple of years ago.”

According to the Federation of Bangladesh Chambers of Commerce and Industry, a trade group, Eid sales total around 150 billion taka ($1.9 billion), mostly consisting of clothes, shoes and jewelry. Online shopping accounts for just 400 million taka, but sales are growing rapidly as well-heeled customers choose e-commerce sites over brick-and-mortar stores, says Shameem Ahsan, president of the Bangladesh Association of Software and Information Services, an umbrella group of information technology companies.

Big challenges remain. Fewer than 30% of Bangladeshis have a bank account and just nine million have a credit or debit card. Most people are still wary of using their cards for online transactions over security concerns.

Shohoz accepts mobile money transfers such as bKash as well as credit and debit cards. Maliha Quadir says that although habits are changing, her company still maintains a cash-on-delivery option where a motorcycle courier delivers a printout to the customer’s doorstep.

“It will take time,” she said. “These are big changes, both for the transportation companies and the consumers.”

Shohoz has rolled out an aggressive advertising strategy in recent months, including TV spots and a publicity campaign that has placed hundreds of thousands of Shohoz stickers on cars and buses in Dhaka. The company has developed ticketing software that is synchronized with the system used by major bus companies, Quadir says.

Shohoz makes money by charging just 20 taka—25 U.S. cents—per seat. For a home delivery, there is an additional charge of 50 taka. The market is price-sensitive and it remains a volume business.

“It’s called Shohoz.com meaning it’s easy,” says Ms. Quadir, “but it’s [still] very complex to execute Shohoz.” But, she adds, “digitizing an extremely challenging industry—plus the fact that this is bringing a digital dividend to the masses—is what makes Shohoz interesting.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/frontiers/2015/.../?mod=newsreel

A much-needed service. Hopefully it succeeds and inspires more such start-ups that seek to facilitate grueling errands for ordinary people. E-commerce seems to be a tremendous growth industry in Bangladesh right now. A lot of potential there and a lot of competent people getting involved.
Old August 16th, 2015, 01:33 AM   #1635
jason.kazi
Supermember

GP WiFi on Green Line buses
Tribune Business Desk

Passengers of Green Line Bus Service operating on the Dhaka-Cox’s Bazar and Dhaka-Sylhet route will be able to use Internet availing WiFi connectivity provided through Grameenphone’s 3G devices.

The service has been inaugurated yesterday by Md Abdus Sattar, general manager, Green Line Paribahan, and Mr Sazzad Alam, head of Direct Sales, Grameenphone, in presence of Mr Mohammad Alauddin, proprietor of Green Line Paribahan and Md Baqui Billah, head of Business Sales, Grameenphone, along with other officials from both sides.

This is the first such initiative to provide Internet connectivity to inter-district bus passengers in Bangladesh, reports UNB.

- See more at: http://www.dhakatribune.com/business....hwzqt8Ud.dpuf

Old August 22nd, 2015, 08:19 AM   #1636
jason.kazi
Supermember

DELETED

Old August 22nd, 2015, 08:19 AM   #1637
jason.kazi
Supermember

Japanese IT firm opens office in city to develop software
FE Report

A Japanese information technology firm has chosen Bangladesh as its next destination after China and Vietnam with the target to develop software for outsourcing.

Sekai Lab has already opened its Dhaka office employing more than 20 people and has a vision to employ around 5,000 people by 2025.

Informing about the company, Country Manager of Sekai Lab Bangladesh Limited Kazuki Nakayama said the company has planned to invest one million US dollars in next three years as part of its business expansion strategy.

He said by 2015, some 100 people will be employed which will be increased to 600 in 2017 and 2,000 in 2020.

The country manager said Sekai Lab is a global sourcing platform under which 90 teams from 14 countries are registered as business partners.

"At the beginning our target is to form a strong team to develop software for the Sekai Lab outsourcing network which means for the international clients, but gradually we will focus on the Bangladesh market to make lives of the people better," the country manager said while talking to the FE at his office.

Visiting Chief Executive Officer of Sekai Lab Hiroki Inagawa who also talked with some journalists said as a Japanese firm Sekai Lab has considered the strength of talent of young generation, competitive resources and culture of the country as the safe destiny of investment.

He said the company took a prompt decision to open the Dhaka office after a visit in last November when Sekai Lab delegation met a number of people and IT companies.

"Bangladesh is totally different. Bangladeshi people are very enthusiastic, passionate and dedicated which we understood during our visit," he said adding, "Why I took such a big decision in a very short time was that I felt an enormous opportunity for the future of this country."

Tareq Rafi Bhuiyan Jun, director of Japan-Bangladesh Chamber of Commerce and Industry, said the Sekai Lab is the first among 11 Japanese companies that visited Bangladesh in last November and it has come forward within a short time to expand their market.

Sekai Lab is operating as a global outsourcing platform for IT software engineers. Sekai Lab means world lab in Japanese language. It has more than 300 software development teams in 15 different countries around the world as of today.

smunima@yahoo.com

AbidM liked this post

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: