daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2015, 06:19 AM   #201
Urban_Lover

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Seahawk View Post
I thought when the city removed a number of trees in Occidental Park that it was going to solve the homeless issue in the park?
The only way to solve the homeless issue is to get them homes. It doesn't have to be permanent. Give them 6-8 months to live some place. Give them job training, drug treatment, etc. so they can turn their lives around.

Hoping they will go away because of a change in the built environment will not work.
Urban_Lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 18th, 2015, 06:31 AM   #202
cadre

Likes (Received): 125

It's a port city. It comes with the territory. Get used to it or get out.
cadre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 06:35 AM   #203
Donnie Seahawk

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Lover View Post
The only way to solve the homeless issue is to get them homes. It doesn't have to be permanent. Give them 6-8 months to live some place. Give them job training, drug treatment, etc. so they can turn their lives around.

Hoping they will go away because of a change in the built environment will not work.
I was being sarcastic. When the city removed a number of trees a couple of years ago, they were very emphatic that the loitering and the homeless problem would be greatly reduced or somehow magically go away.
Donnie Seahawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 07:19 AM   #204
Doomgoggles
Unregistered non-user

Likes (Received): 432

Quote:

Also:

-wolves
-ice age
-etc
Doomgoggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 05:37 PM   #205
AzChristopher

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:

I don't think that would matter unless every city on the west coast did a better job. Personally, most of my interactions with homeless people whether it was Seattle, San Diego, Phoenix, or elsewhere have been good normal interactions.

Even if you build housing they still have to eat. Pioneer Square has lots of services for homeless so that is a spot many hang out.

I hope the activity from this building deters people who want to be criminals, whether homeless or not. I expect this building along with other developments in the neighborhood to make it more eclectic. Filled with people from all sorts of places. Because honestly that is one of my favorite parts about visiting home.
AzChristopher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #206
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 1053

We have a truly bizarre situation where we don't have public bathrooms, benches, parks, unfenced sidewalk areas for bars and restaurants, unsecured building entries, and so on all in sizeable part to wierdos on the street.

The answer needs to be to actually have at least the first three, so diffusion theory can take effect. Twice as much park space and twice as many benches, and the ratio of bums to bench is cut by 50%. Or realistically maybe 40%. But by encouraging normals to site there too, maybe it would be 50%.

Of course the problem is drunks, scofflaws, and the insane, not basic poor people. Bust the former, and give the latter more places to sit. Put the insane back into institutions or treatment.

The bar thing is just the US and state making things worse via cracking down, as we like to do.

It would be great to add five or ten full-size public bathrooms in core districts, each with an attendant. Or alternately a bunch of Portland Loos or whatever they're called. The latter would be affordable due to advertising. The cost is high either way, but it's way better than the current situation.

geoffloftus, Matt the Engineer liked this post
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2015, 12:06 AM   #207
Matt the Engineer

Likes (Received): 994

Something ironic about this scene is that there's a huge labor shortage in our building industries. And a large number of homeless (and presumably jobless) right next to a construction site...
Matt the Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2015, 05:18 AM   #208
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt the Engineer View Post
Something ironic about this scene is that there's a huge labor shortage in our building industries. And a large number of homeless (and presumably jobless) right next to a construction site...
I think the key word you're missing is "Skilled". As in there's a huge shortage in Skilled labor. Takes special know how to do drywall, fancy tile setting, crane operation, etc. You can just grab some random alcoholic/drug addict/disabled person off the street and expect them to go start swinging hammers.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 08:40 AM   #209
Matt the Engineer

Sure I can. Hammers are pretty easy. So are shovels and brooms. Are you telling me job sites don't need any unskilled labor?
Old July 23rd, 2015, 05:22 PM   #210
mhays
Journeyman

There's zero chance that you'd be allowed on a commercial jobsite for a top (i.e. union) general contractor. You have to be in the union, which means you're trained, have healthcare, take a drug test, etc.

If you want to build a 5+1 or a strip mall, that's usually non-union, and they might have use for unskilled labor.

But even then, the bar is probably pretty high for an untrained person to be useful enough to offset them getting in the way, the liability, and so on.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 06:11 PM   #211
Matt the Engineer

Of course. But I've heard a lot of claims of a labor shortage in the construction world. You would think that if it's a large enough problem someone would invest in the basic training necessary to make sure they don't get in the way. We're not talking about a master's degree here.

And yes, I realize there are a wide range of problems that puts people on the street that make them less- (or un-) employable. But unless we're really at 0% unemployment, it seems like much of our labor issues are solvable.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 06:12 PM   #212
geoffloftus

Likes (Received): 3443

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
You have to...take a drug test
Damn. So much for my summer-job hopes.
geoffloftus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2015, 06:46 PM   #213
mhays
Journeyman

Yes, we'd kill to get more people into apprentice programs. The trades were already trending toward older workers before the bust, then a bunch of people retired or changed industries in the downturn, so now the labor pool is smaller than it was. Kids should know the pay is good (think upper 30s/hour) and you get an increasing percentage of that while you're an apprentice. Even you Geoff if you can drop the drug habit!

Seattle can boom like this because most of the country isn't. When that changes the labor shortage will get severe.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 11:38 PM   #214
jessejb

Likes (Received): 384

Westlake Park has been having "Dance til Dusk" nights with live bands, decorative lighting and dancing. Not a bum or criminal to be found.

Supports my "make it lame and it'll be safe" theory. Criminals don't like rumba music.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jessejb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2015, 11:52 PM   #215
Matt the Engineer

I just walked by at lunch, and there were plenty of homeless. But they were right next to many, many more tourists, families, and office workers playing shuffleboard and ping pong. Actually, some homeless-looking men were playing chess. This is a large improvement.

velciane, Xiyatu liked this post