daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > The Bothy

The Bothy Scottish Skybar

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Today, 02:17 AM   #8601
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 6181

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresjohnny View Post
I am saying Scotland was contributing more than it got back, even way back then.

Troll territory? You are one of the biggest unionists on here, you cannot hear a bad word about it. Now you are making excuses for the British Empire.

The NHS is just a bit more important than some fancy train lines that hardly go anywhere/benefit London only.
And I'm sure England contributed more than it got back in those purely direct terms too, I'm not 'making excuses' for anything, I'm just describing the reality of the time, on which much of the wealth of Scotland was built.

Your hatred of HS2 is a bit bizarre I must say, do you think you UK should not invest in modern rail services like Japan, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, China, Netherlands, Belgium etc and increase car dependency instead? It will cut the journey times from Glasgow and Edinburgh to one of the worlds biggest business centres significantly so it should benefit Scotland I think.

Of course the NHS is more important overall, that's why the healthcare budget is about 20x the transport budget, but we should still be investing in transport.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old Today, 02:23 AM   #8602
gmacruyff

Likes (Received): 282

I wonder if Sturrgo will support the idea of creating a new HSR/Road bridge for the 21 mile stretch between Belfast and Stranraer.

Connecting Ireland to Europe(via Northen Ireland/Scotland) is an economic benefit no brainer.

p.s. A similar design is the new Eurobridge between Vidin(Bulgaria) and Calafat( Romania)

With a mixture of money generated from various sources including EEC/Ireland/UK/USA
it might be feasible.

cosmictanya liked this post
gmacruyff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:50 AM   #8603
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 6181

The Shetland-Orkney-Scrabster causeway motorway should also be a priority.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:42 AM   #8604
heresjohnny

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
And I'm sure England contributed more than it got back in those purely direct terms too, I'm not 'making excuses' for anything, I'm just describing the reality of the time, on which much of the wealth of Scotland was built.

Your hatred of HS2 is a bit bizarre I must say, do you think you UK should not invest in modern rail services like Japan, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, China, Netherlands, Belgium etc and increase car dependency instead? It will cut the journey times from Glasgow and Edinburgh to one of the worlds biggest business centres significantly so it should benefit Scotland I think.

Of course the NHS is more important overall, that's why the healthcare budget is about 20x the transport budget, but we should still be investing in transport.
Why do i hate it?

Quote:
Of the total internal journeys made in Britain, 1.5% are by air, 9% by rail and the rest by road.
We are 50 years behind Japan and decades behind other countries. It would cost less than £80 billion to give the UK the best internet infrastructure on the planet. Nobody really needs to travel all the time for useless business meetings, especially in 2030. Tokyo Olympics are set to be the most hi-tech ever(8k broadcast), can you imagine what tele-conferencing could be like by 2030? Cars are starting to drive by themselves too.

Other countries have double decker trains, get them running on time and have more services. The ticket costs will also be enormous for HS2, train travel in Japan is obviously very good but also very expensive. How's their economy being doing over the years?

What's the point in building high speed rail that does not link up the whole country too, it defeats the whole purpose. Either do it properly or not at all. We had a train that was meant to link the whole country, Eurostar, how did that work out?

We can invest and build on what we have, we do not need to spend money on a vanity project. The CEO's are already hoovering up the cash.

The business case for HS2 is weak as water, it's not any solution to our transport issues. Hopefully Scotland will be independent by then anyway and you can build what you want.

Last edited by heresjohnny; Today at 03:50 AM.
heresjohnny no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
obsessednationalists

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: