SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baltimore Development News 20

511K views 5K replies 128 participants last post by  jamie_hunt 
#1 ·
#3,943 ·
Turnpike doesn't stop Yankees fans from coming down.
True. Generally, the Turnpike is fine. I've driven from NH to Baltimore via the NJTP three times in the last month. Typically, the trip is seven and a half to eight hours. Memorial Day is a special case, though. Seems like every vacationer in the northeast converges on that 100-mile stretch of highway around 5 pm that day. Game ends around 3:30; on the highway by 4; home god knows when. This year, I took a vacation day and gave the kids a day off from school and drove home Tuesday.

Again, none of this is a slam against Baltimore, which is a fantastic venue. Every place has limiting factors that are beyond its control. When y'all come up for the NCAA men's lacrosse finals at Gillette Stadium next year, you'll be introduced to the special hell that is getting in and out of Foxboro, MA, on game day. Pack dinner.

#3,944 ·
Ooh, Ooh, Ooh - Hot Off The Press - From this week's BBJ

PLANNED SKYSCRAPER BOOSTS OFFICE SPACE AFTER HOUSING SLOWS

Baltimore Business Journal - June 1, 2007 by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

The planned tower will be built on the former McCormick factory site.

The Philadelphia-based company developing the former McCormick spice factory in downtown Baltimore now hopes to carve out as much as 500,000 square feet of prime office space to land a signature corporate tenant in the proposed 59-story building at Light and Conway streets.

John Voneiff, director of southeast operations for ARC Wheeler LLC, said a softening in the residential market prompted his company to shave the planned residential units in the building to between 150 and 200, down from earlier plans for as many as 285 condominiums. He is now in talks with two major Baltimore-area companies, and has been contacted by a third considering becoming the building's signature tenant.
AWESOME!!! To Hell with the residential, Office is where it's at! This should solidify a high-quality architectural design that only an office building can demand.

Baltimore will only be taken seriously if it's seen as a place of employment, not some bedroom community.

#3,946 ·
^^ Wow. Great find, Silver Springer. Those towers are faaaaantastic! I'm very excited about Canton Crossing now.

Also, if you go to the Lessard website and hit the Zoom button on the upper right hand corner of the picture, it'll zoom out and you can see the pedestal upon which the front two towers sit.

#3,948 ·
I like 414 Water St. It's a little bit unique. I bet 100 years from now preservations will be trying to preserve it as the last skyscraper built in Baltimore's "quirky era." It's not iconic, but in the long run, I bet it'll stand out more than when whatever we get for 10IH, 300EP, etc. are surpassed in height.

#3,949 ·
#3,950 ·
I like 414 Water St. It's a little bit unique. I bet 100 years from now preservations will be trying to preserve it as the last skyscraper built in Baltimore's "quirky era." It's not iconic, but in the long run, I bet it'll stand out more than when whatever we get for 10IH, 300EP, etc. are surpassed in height.
Naw. It will be because I lived there! Moi - owner of the worlds largest collection of Baltimore architectural photos! (30,000 and counting) :cheers:

#3,951 ·
^^ Wow. Great find, Silver Springer. Those towers are faaaaantastic! I'm very excited about Canton Crossing now.

Also, if you go to the Lessard website and hit the Zoom button on the upper right hand corner of the picture, it'll zoom out and you can see the pedestal upon which the front two towers sit.

^^yeah, great find SS.:eek:kay: i've always thought that lessard's work (along with ksi) was highly underrated.

#3,953 ·

^^yeah, great find SS.:eek:kay: i've always thought that lessard's work (along with ksi) was highly underrated.
This is a very nice tower, but I don't think I would want to live on that side of town. I'm exclusively looking for somewhere to look with a "city" feel to it. I don't get that "city" feel for Canton Crossing. About a week ago, someone posted a picture of a building named Harbour's Edge. It had a suburban look to it. So does this building.

#3,955 ·
^^ Yeah, but think of the views from the west side of the 24th floor: Ft. McHenry and Canton below, vista stretching up the NW branch of the Patapsco toward the downtown skyline and beyond to the wooded expanse of Patapsco State Park. I'd take that even if the exterior were clad in discarded auto parts.

#3,958 ·
I think the Canton Crossing Condo towers

will go up 1 at a time. Hale may take a chance on 1 tower in the next year or two and see if they sell. 10 Inner Harbor looks like it has a great chance of happening if they land a office tennant. Free Parking and the view would likely attract a county business.

This is a very nice tower, but I don't think I would want to live on that side of town. I'm exclusively looking for somewhere to look with a "city" feel to it. I don't get that "city" feel for Canton Crossing. About a week ago, someone posted a picture of a building named Harbour's Edge. It had a suburban look to it. So does this building.

#3,959 ·
This is awesome news indeed!! With this mostly being an office building we may end up with a much taller tower than we anticipate. Perhaps close to 800ft! I'm really anxious to see some new rendering now.:)

Ooh, Ooh, Ooh - Hot Off The Press - From this week's BBJ

PLANNED SKYSCRAPER BOOSTS OFFICE SPACE AFTER HOUSING SLOWS

Baltimore Business Journal - June 1, 2007 by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

The planned tower will be built on the former McCormick factory site.

The Philadelphia-based company developing the former McCormick spice factory in downtown Baltimore now hopes to carve out as much as 500,000 square feet of prime office space to land a signature corporate tenant in the proposed 59-story building at Light and Conway streets.

John Voneiff, director of southeast operations for ARC Wheeler LLC, said a softening in the residential market prompted his company to shave the planned residential units in the building to between 150 and 200, down from earlier plans for as many as 285 condominiums. He is now in talks with two major Baltimore-area companies, and has been contacted by a third considering becoming the building's signature tenant.

#3,960 · (Edited)

Couldn't remember if someone had posted these before of the RWN Development Group's planned (now on hold) condo towers.
I never seen these pics before. They look kinda cool. (Edit: I just looked at the RWN Development site and saw that these renderings are one of the proposed architectural designs. I guess this is the one they liked.)

...And what a good business move on behalf of ArcWheeler. They promised a dominant structure and is pulling at all costs to make it reality. Making the office component larger was something that skipped my mind. Mark my words, "1OIH will be Baltimore's signature tower."

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.