SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baltimore Development News 20

511K views 5K replies 128 participants last post by  jamie_hunt 
#1 ·
#4,001 ·
Last year when preparation began, there was a sign stating "from the $700's". Then the Lennar website stated the price was just shy of $1M. Now it is $1.375M. See http://lennar.com/findhome/community.aspx?COMID=18392&DIVID=PATPAT

What could possibly drive the developer to make such a drastic change in price especially in light of the times? The base product has not changed as far as I know. Anybody?

I hope somebody buys here, although there is a lot of competition around the harbor at this price point and it is not waterfront like most of the competition. If nothing else, it's a better view than I had before.
i saw that too on the pricing. i am worried that they won't sell as well. they put a huge billboard on the north side of the model unit. you can see the thing from the other side of the harbor. while i think they're a little too big, the detailing on the facades is excellent!

#4,002 ·
i like the tower.

should bring some much deserved respect to the city and it's skyline.

as for the two renderings, yeah, looks to be the same tower, but isn't it supposed to be a duplicate? maybe i'm wrong. probably am. if so, go ahead and start throwing eggs. i'm used to it.
They have a somewhat Oriental look about them, don't they? Something that would not look out of place in Hong Kong or Shanghai. I think we might be looking at 800' plus here!!

People are going to want to live here. If this gets built, I think another development boom will begin..breaking the lull we have now.

#4,003 ·
That's very interesting. When I went to Rotterdam a while ago it reminded me a little bit of Baltimore, because much their development is based on the waterfront properties (I mean, this is true simply because both cities are major ports, but a lot of the developments along the lines of cosmopolitan buildings such as the Inner Harbor development). IMO it already has more than the necessary amount of surrounding buildings (the few-hundred footers) to make a 800-1000 ft building look nice. I can just imagine the drive in from DC, Raven's Stadium in the foreground, the Pratt Street and beyond buildings, and then a 1000 footer in the background. That would be pretty awesome.
Under Construction with the Baltimore

read more: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=477850

#4,004 ·
They have a somewhat Oriental look about them, don't they? Something that would not look out of place in Hong Kong or Shanghai. I think we might be looking at 800' plus here!!

People are going to want to live here. If this gets built, I think another development boom will begin..breaking the lull we have now.
I was going to say the same thing. They are very ultra modern Tokyo.

#4,005 ·
[snip] IMO [Baltimore] already has more than the necessary amount of surrounding buildings (the few-hundred footers) to make a 800-1000 ft building look nice. I can just imagine the drive in from DC, Raven's Stadium in the foreground, the Pratt Street and beyond buildings, and then a 1000 footer in the background. That would be pretty awesome.
The current arena site would be great for something like this. Coming to Baltimore on I-395, you'd see it straight on rising above the stepped 250 W. Pratt building. From the harbor, it would be a "culminating" peak rising above and beyond the current highrises, like Mont St. Michel. It's also on the light rail line, and a half-block from the subway. Would also anchor the "traditional" CBD, which some see as losing ground to Harbor East, et al.

#4,006 ·
I think that rendering of the RWN towers shows both towers. I do not believe there to be another set rising from there. I would be thrilled if that exact rendering started being built in the next year or so. I'm also quite concerned about 300 E. Pratt. 10 IH I'm slightly worried about, but at least you keep hearing things from them every now and against and the amount of space there has actually increased. I just wish they would bring out the final design and build already.

#4,007 ·
City officials use two separate projects in effort to retain NAACP
Baltimore Business Journal - June 1, 2007by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

The Cordish Co.'s $70 million redevelopment project by Port Discovery and Cormony Development's $200 million Gateway South office and sports complex are among the high-profile sites Baltimore City officials have dangled before the NAACP in hopes of keeping the group from moving to Washington, D.C.

Phillip E. Croskey, who oversees development projects in the west side for the Baltimore Development Corp., said the city tried to encourage officials with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People to consider the sites, and a third on the city's west side, to entice it to stay in Baltimore.

#4,008 ·
in the end, RWN towers will probably end up being cut in half. 300 east pratt will become a 13 story tower, and 10 inner harbor will be a 39 story tower around 499 ft. tall. all the haters will be once again happy, and the world can go on as it always has. ya know, over at ssp and some comments on other threads concerning all our projects, including the RWN towers, there is so much critiquing. i mean, why? baltimore has never had anything remotely this exciting/huge/tall ever proposed. and some are being picky about the base and that it is a chinese designed tower and does not belong in bmore. i think some people really just don't want to see baltimore ever build anything this grand. they are secretly wanting to see every major proposed project fail or be drastically reduced in scale and design and use. why? go over to ssp and check out the comments about the RWN project.

#4,012 · (Edited)
:) BBJ's 10 IH Update

59 Stories
750 Feet High
Cost $500 - $550 Million (Up From $360 Million)
Condos 150 - 200 (Down From 285)
500,000 Sq. Feet Offices (45,000 -50,000 Sq. Foot Floor Plans)
225 Hotel rooms (Up From 192 Rooms)
Significant Retail (Sq. Feet Not Specified)
1,600 Parking Spots

~~~~~

The pyramid is rising over 414. It's not very large.

Starbucks and Suntrust Bank have leased retail space at 1200 N. Charles on the 1'st floor of the new condo building. (Signs are in the window)

I like RWN's tower proposal. Can't wait to watch it rise from my balcony! My camera is ready. Point of clarification. The rendering is of 1 tower. The other tower will be constructed a block away on a different site.

#4,013 ·
Just curious what is BalWash's new handle and do we have a handle on him [i.e. control out of his natural forum] now if he still posts?

I am not a moderator but I would love to watch his progress of the trials and tribulations about learning and respecting other metro areas.

Any hints?

BalWash where are you?
As to your first question: get a life.

As to your last question: I'm in Maryland and loving it.

#4,014 ·
He may be going by the name of "Ajoutz". Their posts and location are similar. Scroll down to the "highway over the outer harbor" comment.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=476340&page=3

When you can't make a rational argument to defend a position, you simply make things up!
Ajoutz and I are different people. I really don't appreciate you implying that I ever made arguments that relied on anything other than fact. If I ever did use incorrect facts it was an honest mistake. Perhaps your comments were made because you resent the fact that I insist Washington has a positive impact on Baltimore. Perhaps you don't like me because I'm closer to Washington. Either way, you should know that I appreciate all the pictures/info you provide and your love for Baltimore.

#4,015 ·
It's not like those comments are baseless. It's common knowledge that the BDC cancels or downsizes most Baltimore projects.
Nonsense. Baltimore Development Corporation does everything it can to encourage development; even if that means encouraging a smaller proposal. In the end, BDC isn’t just about the “look and feel” of the proposal, but also the financing. It cannot give a green stamp to each and every project proposed, especially one on weak financial footing. It is their responsibility to encourage fiscally sound development. To do otherwise would be a major disservice to developers, the city council, mayor, and the taxpaying citizens of Baltimore. If anything, I question if they haven’t become too soft in proposed growth?

#4,016 ·
E-mail from ArcWheeler

Got this e-mail from John Voneiff at ArcWheeler today.

I wrote:

Hey John,

How are you? I saw your name pop up in the Baltimore Business Journal today
about 10 Inner Harbor's change of gears towards office space. This is
really exciting news. I was wondering if you could tell me how this is
expected to affect the project? Does the tower need to go for further
approval from the city? When is it expected to break ground? Thanks so
much in advance, John. I really appreciate any information you can give me.

Kind regards,
Peter Smith

He wrote:

Dear Pete.

If anything office speeds up the timetable. There is still plenty of room for residential because of all the available FAR. Important is the ability to park everything on site. Unlike the Ritz Carlton this is a true mixed use project - retail, residential, hotel, office with parking. Construction is about 12-14 months out - then a 3 year build. This is the reason we couldn't land Legg Mason; they need to be moved into a new site (now Harbor East) by mid 2009. But there are other big nationally known office users who plan to relocate to Class A space sometime between 2011 and 2014. This fits our time table. In development you do what you can based on market conditions. Risk is the driver behind all such decisions. There is plenty of high-end condo housing scheduled to come on between 2009 and 2012 (something like 2000 units - assuming 1/2 of the projects scheduled go forward) We are not willing to risk so much on residential even if we have the premier site. Plus the property begs to be the cornerstone of the west side of the Inner Harbor.

Best

John

#4,019 ·
I think that rendering of the RWN towers shows both towers.
I really think the rendering we have is only for one of the properties. In an earlier article, Naing talked about how they're going to focus on only one of the towers first, and then work on the second tower when the market is more welcoming. I think the tower we're seeing here will rise at one of the properties, and then we'll get something entirely different for the other property.
Also, note that the rendering includes a note that this is only one of the designs that was entered into a competition, so it's possible that we won't ever see this tower, but rather an entirely different design instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.