SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Skysores: Ugly skyscrapers

1M views 4K replies 1K participants last post by  SanFranRising 
#1 ·
heres a good example of ugly buildings

chicago spire

80 south street this porbley wont get buildtthank god

Crown Las Vegas this also might not get built as well i dont think it looks so great and its to big for las vegas
idd add a pic but i cant seem to find any

u can also post buidling that are already built or ones that are going to be built

See less See more
#2,154 · (Edited)
@Kanto since when is a cathedral a skyscraper ?
btw if you hate historical buildings.. you must hate this too right?
Gooosh I'm all for historical architecture but Mike you've choosen my favorite architecture from gothic period! Loving this harmonical and proportionate brabantine gothic city hall...its richness and sculptural intricacy is almost enjoyable as the baroque to me!

And yes, I see arkward ugliness in some modern building because I just can't read them. What is the order? What is the overall plan? Why there are 60 floors and not -say- 56? Why there are 12 windows in a floor and not 15? It is just too arbitrarial, lacking of a deeper structure. They seems to just say: "hey, let's do something strange now!". It's a toy, it is a game, it is a play, it is structural engineering, it it structural experimentation, but it is by no means art, it is by no means a research to achieve beauty, that is to hidden order, plans or harmony above the plain surface of physical matters, of marbles, of colours. To hidden an utopical dream beneath reality, beneath things: That's what beauty it is to me ;)

#2,158 ·
In architecture I love right angles and simplicity. Old architecture is the exact opposite of that. Old architecture is a mix of countless shapes and angles which I hate though one thing that I hate even more are the "decorations" on the buildings which I call spikes. To me the old buildings look like a mace with all the spikes :puke:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.