daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Chicago

Chicago » Projects and Construction | Infrastructure & Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #1
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Lakefront development: South Side & more

We are all amazed on the way that North Side-style gentrification has spread to the South and West sides. The city is transforming.

Clearly we can expect a totally different lakefront in areas undergoing transformation. The South Side is certainly such an area.

To me, if I were looking at the traditional picture of non-downtown lakefront Chicago, I'd being seeing two places:

1. Lincoln Park, from North to Hollywood

2. Hyde Park

These areas create the highly evocative lake, beach, park, high rise we associate with our residential areas' lakeshore..

So what about other areas?

1. The city is in the process of rebuilding Burnham Park. What will the private sector do behind that? Unlike the North Side, there is no Inner Drive; there are Metra tracks and there is no street that parralels the tracks to take you from McCPl to Hyde Park. How will this prime real estate develop? The location is choice, the views of the lake and skyline unbelievable. Will we ever see this stretch look like the Lincoln Pk West, LakeView, Sheridan, LSD with impressive stretches of high rises?

2. Do you think the city will ever go ahead with a Hollywood-to-Evanston extension of Lincoln Park that has been talked about for years?

If it does, I imagine that Sheridan Road from Hollywood to Devon will no longer be the nightmere it is today to drive (I know of no other street like it: stay to the right and you're stuck behind a bus; go to the left where there are no turning lanes and you will be stuck behind those turning...at all hours of the day).

And what would the implication of LSD and parkland be for Rogers Park development?

3. What pressure will Chicago's residential growth place on South Shore and South Chicago? South Shore has a prime lakefront location and quality buildings. Yet, for some reason, it seems stuck in the city's segregated past rather than evolving into the integrated community it should be.

How about South Chicago, still much further from the city's core and unforuntately tied to the industrial areas of Indiana's Calumet region. What effect will the major construction at South Works have on this area and can South Works, upscale though it may be, attract the urban pioneers that the Cabrini area attracts, people willing to move in when things are not at their best but knowing they will get much better?

With all the good things going on to the west of the lakefront, we sometimes forget that that area will change enormously. How do you see these changes?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #2
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

I think you're absolutely going to see the under-utilized areas of the lakefront burgeon over the coming decades. It's the next logical step in the City's evolution... water brings an unmatched natural boone to property value that developers (and residents alike) are going to want to tap.

In regards to the south side, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see plans for burying/hiding/building over the rail ROW's start to roll in within the next several years.
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #3
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

^It's already happening between Hyde Park and the South Loop, we're just beginning to see the effects of it in parts of Bronzeville. It's not widespread yet, but I'd bet that the South Side lakefront will look a LOT different in 10-15 years than it does today. The only major thing that will keep it back is the lack of frequent rail access. The green line is a bit too far away and doesn't have the station density that the northside brown and red lines have. However, converting the Metra electric line to a CTA heavy rail el line with express service as well, would certainly solve that dilemma so long as they find a way to tie the line directly into the existing CTA system downtown. I see a subway link under Monroe or Van Buren Street as the key to this.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 02:25 AM   #4
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore
^It's already happening between Hyde Park and the South Loop, we're just beginning to see the effects of it in parts of Bronzeville. It's not widespread yet, but I'd bet that the South Side lakefront will look a LOT different in 10-15 years than it does today. The only major thing that will keep it back is the lack of frequent rail access. The green line is a bit too far away and doesn't have the station density that the northside brown and red lines have. However, converting the Metra electric line to a CTA heavy rail el line with express service as well, would certainly solve that dilemma so long as they find a way to tie the line directly into the existing CTA system downtown. I see a subway link under Monroe or Van Buren Street as the key to this.
I see a lot of development between McCPl and Hyde Park, but nothing of note on the lakefront itself. No real residential high rises south of Museum Park.
Old January 9th, 2005, 08:00 AM   #5
oshkeoto

Likes (Received): 2

By the time I'm out of college and ready to settle in the city, the only place with affordable housing is going to be some godforsaken block at Harlem and 95th or something...
oshkeoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #6
MyLargeRod

Likes (Received): 0

Hey everyone, this is my first post. Im 16 and from Oak Lawn...and I love this city very much.

Hey, hey, hey...I live right by 95th and Harlem...Its not THAT bad...plus there's nothing around there but the 294, train tracks, open space and a Culver's.

Im glad to see the South Side flourishing with all this new development.
MyLargeRod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 05:02 PM   #7
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLargeRod
Hey everyone, this is my first post. Im 16 and from Oak Lawn...and I love this city very much.

Hey, hey, hey...I live right by 95th and Harlem...Its not THAT bad...plus there's nothing around there but the 294, train tracks, open space and a Culver's.

Welcome abord, MLR. Nice to have a new perspective here. And i have a feeling you'll be reading more and more about South Side flourishing. It looks like a bright new era south of Congress.
Old January 9th, 2005, 11:30 PM   #8
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:

^Welcome, MyLargeRod. Quick warning: Considering your screenname, you're automatically on the radar by the mods. So don't say anything that'll get you banned!

Anyway, I also look forward to seeing the south side flourish
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 01:15 AM   #9
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician
^Welcome, MyLargeRod. Quick warning: Considering your screenname, you're automatically on the radar by the mods. So don't say anything that'll get you banned!

Anyway, I also look forward to seeing the south side flourish
and i thought he was a fisherman
Old January 10th, 2005, 01:52 AM   #10
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 04:10 AM   #11
MyLargeRod

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks guys, I'll be good little kid...and I do like fishing
MyLargeRod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #12
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks guys, I'll be good little kid...and I do like fishing
speaking of water (if not fishing), you do the one about the men taking a leak from a bridge and comparing endowments?

the first one said, "This water sure is cold"

to which the second replied, "and deep"
Old January 16th, 2005, 02:22 AM   #13
dancethingy

Likes (Received): 6

Otay

LOL
dancethingy no está en línea   Reply With Quote