daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast

Southeast » Development News | Includes TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #121
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 633

- Is LA actually building a true subway or merely pockets underground rail? If they're going underground how the dickens are they affording it?

- Re: Family migrations, schools, etc.
Upgrading schools may not cause any immediate influx, but around here I think the notion is to endear future families to remain within the city vs moving out. The Atlanta Public School system has been a woeful manager of facilities and meager in its technological investment, a feature of both limited funds and meek leadership. Two districts for the wealthy north enclaves, 5+ more for the 'po folk. (Really hate the property tax formula used to define funding!) Until this changes there's little impetus for the city's demographics to evolve. OMO, anyway.

Sponsored Links

Old September 13th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #122
Lakelander

Likes (Received): 646

LA has two subway lines and four LRT lines. In the DT LA map below, the red/purple lines are subway. The gold and blue lines are LRT. The initial segments of the red/purple lines opened in 1993. They now have around 17 miles of subway in operation. A chuck of the funding came from the FTA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_R...Angeles_County)

Their LRT lines also have significant segments that are either underground or elevated.

Old September 14th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #123
Lakelander

I'm just getting back to Jax after attending the American Planning Association's statewide conference, which was held in Orlando. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to tour Sunrail construction sites. The first phase of the 61-mile commuter rail line is scheduled to begin operations in May 2014. Here are a few images from yesterday.

The existing Amtrak station in Winter Park is being rebuilt to accommodate both Amtrak and Sunrail.

^Sunrail platforms under construction at the Orlando Amtrak Station, just south of downtown.

A glimpse of LYMMO BRT crossing tracks with Sunrail's Orlando Central Station's (downtown) platform under construction in the back ground.

Look hard and you can see an Amtrak train passing by on the tracks that Sunrail will run on. Transfering between bus and rail should be pretty simple at this station.

The Church Street station platform under construction in downtown Orlando.

An Amtrak train passes through Sunrail's Florida Hospital Station. Florida Hospital is one of the region's largest employers and they are in the middle of turning their entire campus into a mixed-use TOD district called "Health Village".

Florida Hospital is building a new administration office tower at their station. The first two floors will contain several shops and restaurants. Across the street (yellow crane), construction has recently broken ground on a medical highrise.

Florida Hospital's station under construction with the downtown Orlando skyline in the background.
Old September 14th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #124
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 1005

Thanks for the update on Sunrail. Love that last shot with the downtown skyline!
Old September 29th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #125
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 21839

ATL streetcar tracks being laid on Peachtree

image hosted on flickr

ATL Construction by theindustrialist, on Flickr
Old September 30th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #126
Lakelander

Hmm, I don't know why I don't post pics more often. I'm an urban planner that's involved in a few things that enable me to travel quite frequently. I was in Atlanta in late August and took several pics of Atlanta's streetcar construction and the BeltLine. Here are a few of the streetcar:

desertpunk liked this post
Lakelander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 07:02 AM   #127
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 17

Oklahoma City city council approves streetcar route, completion by 2017! http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...P7bAatOj7oqLYg http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...mp4nXWOg1m-2DA

Last edited by dmoor82; October 1st, 2013 at 07:18 AM.
dmoor82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 03:53 PM   #128
spencer114

Likes (Received): 212

I love that the South is getting all of this infrastructure. Atlanta is going to look great with streetcars!
spencer114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 01:59 AM   #129
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Lynx Charlotte

image hosted on flickr

LYNX Light Rail Line - Charlotte, NC by JayCass84, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Jeanf1990 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 12:25 AM   #130
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Atlanta Takes Key Step In Expanding Streetcar System

Quote:
Transportation officials now expect the Atlanta Streetcar's initial 2.7-mile loop to open sometime in May, as opposed to April, as was previously expected. But that's not the biggest streetcar news of the week: The city was recently named a Federal Transit Administration grant designee. That means, for the first time, Atlanta will be able to apply directly for federal funding — instead of relying on MARTA to apply on its behalf — when it comes time to expand the streetcar system, WABE reports. With T-SPLOST's bludgeoning at the polls last year, officials say federal funding is crucial for developing a more extensive streetcar network. About half of the current streetcar project's $100 million bill is being footed by the feds.

When the streetcar loop begins service, all rides will be free for the first three months. Officials have said the 2.7-mile route will have 12 stops and an estimated 15 minutes between trains. After the free-ride period, rides will cost just $1 for a while, until MARTA upgrades its Breeze Card system to accommodate the light-rail route. A project leader also noted recently that traffic lights along the route will be adjusted, in hopes of keeping the streetcar from being mired in congestion.
Old December 14th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #131
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

MARTA station

image hosted on flickr

MARTA Station by Nasty_Canasta, on Flickr
Old December 16th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #132
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Amtrak Station, Meridian MS

image hosted on flickr

Meridian, MS station 11-14-13 by petespix75, on Flickr
Old December 20th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #133
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Norfolk VA

image hosted on flickr

Norfolk Southern and the Norfolk Tide Light Rail by Norfolk Southern, on Flickr
Old January 14th, 2014, 02:08 AM   #134
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

$59 Billion Plan For Atlanta Region Could Improve Intown ATL

Ponce Market development spurring pedestrian and bicycling projects

Quote:
A big-picture plan to help metro Atlantans move around the region could include a healthy dose of changes in the heart of the city. Continuing through March, the Atlanta Regional Commission is updating what's known as PLAN 2040 — a Regional Transportation Plan meant to ease traffic woes and prepare us for an estimated onslaught of three million more people in the next 25 years. (Is that estimate low?) The projected $59 billion would be spent mostly on maintaining existing infrastructure in the 18-county regional transportation area, but $15 billion is earmarked for more interesting objectives like widening roads, adding bike lanes and sidewalks and funding transit options.

Anticipated PLAN 2040 spending includes more than $15 million to operate the Atlanta Streetcar for its first years of transit infancy, the AJC reports. The streetcar expects to start snaking around its initial 2-mile loop in May.

More than $4 million will go toward "bicycle and pedestrian facilities" spanning Juniper Street, from Ponce De Leon Avenue up to 14th Street. Work should begin on that project in 2015. In the (hopefully) more immediate future, a connection between the Beltline and Ponce De Leon Avenue is planned as part of ongoing, pedestrian-friendly improvements to that corridor. That cost is pegged at $4.5 million.

[...]

Funding prospects for more large-scale projects remain a mystery, such as MARTA rail expansion on the Clifton corridor near Emory, Ga. Highway 400 north and I-20 east. Barring a miracle federal contribution or private investor, those initiatives aren't slated to break ground until roughly 2030.
Old March 11th, 2014, 08:31 AM   #135
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Key Takeaways From Atlanta Streetcar's 'Final Report'

Quote:
Sure, the Atlanta Streetcar's initial segment might be opening months behind schedule, millions over budget and with no operator at the proverbial helm, but the grand-scheme plans are terrific food for thought. A "Final Report" has emerged for the Atlanta Beltline/Atlanta Streetcar System Plan, a longview glimpse at how streetcar segments will be implemented and which will be given first priority. With almost no funding identified, project timelines are next to impossible, and thus they're not provided in the 57-page report. (It's worth noting that legislators have recently voted overwhelmingly in support of allowing public-private partnerships to fund transit projects). The report's overview notes that, since the 1996 Centennial Olympic Games, "robust development activity" has been the norm in places like "Midtown, Buckhead, the northeast quadrant and limited parts of the northwest and southeast quadrants just outside of the urban core." Interconnected mobility options will be key to "supporting and accelerating this transformation of the city" in order to "facilitate the concentration of development in appropriate locations."

Much more: http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2...eport.php#more
Old May 1st, 2014, 09:00 PM   #136
Lakelander

Orlando's Sunrail commuter rail system began service this morning.

Old September 19th, 2014, 06:11 AM   #137
Blocked ID

Likes (Received): 23

Are there any recent updates on the SEHSR? The latest info I could really find on the project is almost a year old..
Blocked ID no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #138
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

The one I'm observing - The Atlanta-Charlotte concept is within the 1st yr of a 3 yr logistical study. The three State DOTs are gathering information about route alternatives and pre-engineering in the hopes of pursuing the first round of federal assistance somewhere around 2017. Even then that would largely be to pursue the low-hanging fruit of repairs and improvements to existing lengths of track that will be included in the final route. Purchase of new right-of-way and any thoughtful development of new rail on this route won't occur until in the mid2020's, barring a financial windfall.
Old September 20th, 2014, 03:35 AM   #139
Blocked ID

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
The one I'm observing - The Atlanta-Charlotte concept is within the 1st yr of a 3 yr logistical study. The three State DOTs are gathering information about route alternatives and pre-engineering in the hopes of pursuing the first round of federal assistance somewhere around 2017. Even then that would largely be to pursue the low-hanging fruit of repairs and improvements to existing lengths of track that will be included in the final route. Purchase of new right-of-way and any thoughtful development of new rail on this route won't occur until in the mid2020's, barring a financial windfall.
Thanks for taking the time to reply; but have you heard anything about the Charlotte-Raleigh-Richmond-DC segment? I know the Richmond-Raleigh segment is the furthest along in development (with Draft Tier II EIS being completed in 2010) and I've heard that DCDOT is planning on upgrading the bridge over the Potomac river (a prerequisite for any increased service; ) but other than that I haven't heard anything recently..

Last edited by Blocked ID; September 20th, 2014 at 03:37 AM. Reason: it thought my grammar was an emoticon..
Blocked ID no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #140
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Charlotte to Raleigh is wholly NC DOT, so I've no knowledge of that leg. (I'm in Ga.) From what I understand NC and VA will seek federal aid for the Raleigh to Richmond connection once Richmond to DC has completed upgrades and been running for about a year or two. Depending on the performance of the Richmond/DC leg they'll seek either full funding for construction or a lesser amount to supplement a longer, state-funded program.

Tags
atlanta streetcar, hampton roads wave, high speed rail, lynx, marta