SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Kanya Kumari (Cape Comorin), Nagercoil & Colachel

1M views 6K replies 229 participants last post by  gyme 
#1 · (Edited)
Ladies & Gentlemen,

Located 89 km on the South East of the Trivandrum City Centre is the beautiful locale - the Cape Comorin .

This place is the southern most tip of the Peninsular India.
It is the Cape in the Indian Sub-Continent , where the three seas viz.

The Indian Ocean, The Arabian Sea / Laccadive Sea and the Bay of Bengal merge.

It is one of the very rare locations on this mother earth, where we can see the Sun Rise and the Sunset as well.

Cape Comorin is also called Kanya Kumari. (Comorin is the anglicised form of Kumari). Devi Kanya Kumari is the main Idol of the famous temple located in Cape. Apart from this temple, the Gandhi Smrithi Mandapam,
Vivekananda Rock & Thiru Valluvar Statue attract millions.

Nagercoil (located 70 km South of Trivandrum) is the Headquarters of the Southermost District of India (Kanya Kumari). In Tamil Nadu, this District is more popularly called KK District and the people are known as Kumarans. The District was constituted in 1956 (at a time when the State Re-organisation took place) by dividing the elstwhile Trivandrum District and out of the eight Taluks of the then Trivandrum, four were given to Tamil Nadu.

Colachel is an ancient port city, which is historically important. The Dutch Captain Delnoy was defeated by the Travancore Navy at the end of the 'Battle of Colachel'). Colachel is located 50 km south of the Vizhinjam Port in Trivandrum District.

I welcome all to add interestng features on the development of these three places.

I shall also be adding in more informations on the other attractions like
Colachel Port, Uzhavar Chandai, Monday Market, River Thamraparni, Pechipparai Dam, Kothayar Dams, Thripparappu, Kulasekharam,
Padmanabhapuram Palace, Uppalam, Vivekananda Centre, Thiruvitamcode Tunnel,Azhakiyamandapam, Thuckalay, Veli Malay, Maruthua Malay , Marthandam, Vedivechan Coil, Mulagummoodu, Thoduvetty, Saamiyar Madom , Netta etc etc.

Cheers

See less See more
#61 ·
i am from Monday Market,and was the Headmaster of Mondaikad Hr sec school for 20 years , mondaikad being just 3 km from colachel, and myself being the native of the land, the reason for not developing the port lies entirely on the people who feared their lands may be taken. There was a chance to fill the sea with the rocks available from the Chunkan kadai, and the adumechan parai, a rock in the vicinity of colachel and mondaikad , be connected with the land and a port with the depth of more than 150 bothoms could have been achieved. Though there are difference of opinion in Kerala, when a proposal comes, all the parties cutting across their individual opionion ,join to gether and that is why Vizhinjam got through, and now the best solution is linking colachel as feeder port to Vizhinjam, and with the advent of coasal secutiy, it is better to make the rock land in the Mondaikad adumechan parai be converted as sea base for the navy which will monitor the proposed vizhinjam port and would be colachel port

#62 ·
colachel port has a history , from this place the ships from Japan, came way back to 1943 to take the ilmanite and monosite and other rare earths from Manavalakurichi, and it has a story behind it, Actually the coconut coir were sent to japan,in order to gain weight they immersered it in the water and then the coasal sands got throug it and when the coir bundles reached there were signals in the detection of rare earths and through the mouse trap and thread, they reached this place and ships came from Japan and were anchored some two kilometers away and the catamarans were used to ferry the materials. I was fortunate to enter with the contracter to one ship that ends the name " maru " usually all ships with names ...maru' used to come over there. The natural harbour of colachel would have been developed but for the dethroninw of DMK rules some ten years back, and Malaysian connection was there. now the chances are all gone and the only way is joining with Vizhinjam port, as the locality and culture and language spoken here is common and understandable.

#63 ·
Other Projects in Tamil Nadu cover four-laning of 422-km length of NH-45 and NH-45B with an estimated cost of Rs.2,530 crore from Chennai to Madurai via Tiruchirapalli, in which works in 306-km length have already been completed and works in remaining 116-km length are in progress, the Minister informed.
so the distance has shortened by around 40 kms

#64 ·
Chennai-Kanyakumari rail track to be electrified

Nagercoil: The government has allotted Rs.400 crore for electrification of the Kanyakumari-Thiruvananthapuram railway line, according to Minister of State for Railways R.Velu. Steps would be taken to electrify the Chennai - Kanyakumari track. :banana:

He was in Kanyakumari to inaugurate the annual conference of Railway Protection Force personnel on Wednesday. He told reporters that the government would explore ways and means to operate bullet trains in different parts of the country. A team of officials would visit Japan to study its functioning. Railway Minister Lalu Prasad would lead the team.

The Railways had decided to operate ‘railway tourism’ services, covering important spots in the country

courtesy

http://www.hindu.com/2009/01/08/stories/2009010852750400.htm

#66 ·
Yes, the Historic Colachel Port

colachel port has a history , from this place the ships from Japan, came way back to 1943 to take the ilmanite and monosite and other rare earths from Manavalakurichi, and it has a story behind it, Actually the coconut coir were sent to japan,in order to gain weight they immersered it in the water and then the coasal sands got throug it and when the coir bundles reached there were signals in the detection of rare earths and through the mouse trap and thread, they reached this place and ships came from Japan and were anchored some two kilometers away and the catamarans were used to ferry the materials. I was fortunate to enter with the contracter to one ship that ends the name " maru " usually all ships with names ...maru' used to come over there. The natural harbour of colachel would have been developed but for the dethroninw of DMK rules some ten years back, and Malaysian connection was there. now the chances are all gone and the only way is joining with Vizhinjam port, as the locality and culture and language spoken here is common and understandable.

..... and the Dutch Captain Dilnoy was miserably defeated by the brave men of the Travancore Navy at Colachel during the famous Battle of Colachel.

Cheers

#69 ·
thotilpalam at Mathur

Having lived in Cherupaloor,near Kulesekaram,I have umpteen time visit to the Asias's highest Bridge over a river, running in the ravine, connecting two hills to let the Dam water pass through canal built in the bridge, passing it to Thengapatnam, near to Vizhinjam,.It is 8 feet width and over it two and half feet pedestrian path, even before railings were erected one Joseph, of the local, who wished to have recognition in crossing the ravine over the bridge with a bag load of sand on his head crossed it in the presence of reporters of Malayalam,Tamil and English papers, We, Lions club member, myself being one of MJF Lion, tried to our best but the Court prohibited his venture on safety ground, Poor soul had hunger strike in front of Collectorate,Nagercoil only to be arrested. Any body walking across the bridge would have aerophobia sensation, and when reaching the other end on either side, will have a feeling of landing of an aero plane.,I myself felt

#70 ·
Padmanaba puram palace, and the vatta kotai, fortress have unique place in the sense,that though they are within Tamilnadu government after 1957 partition, these two places are still under the control of Kerala Government and are managed by it. Another startling factor is, From Vatakotai, to Padmanabapuram palace, via Udhyakiri fort, there runs a underterestial,beneath the ground path. but might be in a dialpidated condition, but the opening is still there in the Udayagiri fort, just near the Melancodu temple

#75 ·
But when taking from wikipedia or somewhere else, they gotta mention the source!!
What ever ! Any pictures related to Kanya Kumari District are most welcome here, from anywhere. If you have, you can post here. Either post or do not post; It is upto you. But don't be jealous on people who post beautiful pictures of this great land. Better don't make the morale of creative people lost. After all, Wikipidia is a free encyclopedia, where any creative individual can post & eidt the facts.

Also one more thing, always better to criticise other people after making proper identity. This is the good manners. Under fake multiple IDs, anybody can criticise anyone. This is bad.

So next time, before criticising someone else, think twice - then reveal your identity and then you can post.

#76 ·
What ever ! Any pictures related to Kanya Kumari District are most welcome here, from anywhere. If you have, you can post here. Either post or do not post; It is upto you. But don't be jealous on people who post beautiful pictures of this great land. Better don't make the morale of creative people lost. After all, Wikipidia is a free encyclopedia, where any creative individual can post & eidt the facts.

Also one more thing, always better to criticise other people after making proper identity. This is the good manners. Under fake multiple IDs, anybody can criticise anyone. This is bad.

So next time, before criticising someone else, think twice - then reveal your identity and then you can post.
This aint my fake multiple ID FYFI Mr. Jaleel! [am not here to argue with ur stupid remarks].:nuts:
When u take pictures from sites without mentioning the source, it equals to stealing them!

Am not against posting pics from wikipedia or anywhere! But juzz include the source at the end too! That way it'd be like a credit to the pic owner too!:) [Also remember, pics in wikipedia are also copyrighted to the owners!]
keep posting! cheers:cheers:

#77 ·
native of kanyakumari

Hi,
There are still beautiful places in KAnyakumari, once I return from USA I shall let you see,what they are, first, Muttom Beach,the beauty is immediate sand which is hill like, is absolute red in colour,and is known as redsand, in tamil sivantha man,and when there is rain, it will be interesting to see, how red coloured rainwater embrace dark blue sea water and comingle within a short period and the froth lashes the sand with red colour only to return as white,

and another beauty is we can see the sea as an enclave,
similarly is the sea of Thengapatnam, a sight only to be believed if you see it,
Near the tirparappu false, is the thirunanthigarai, and you can still see the rock caves where Jains lived,as usual all these jains buildings have turned as siva temples.
Near thuckaly,there is one place known as cheman, ( red sand) denoting the blood shed, caused bythe aggression of Muslim rulers,(where asthe local call itas muhilanpadaiyedupu, Near the Kumarakoil, there is one cave known as valli koil, where to, I had a previlege to climb up,to the tune of 1500 feet,high,to ones surprise, in thecliff there are paddy fields, and banana thops,and goats and cows and cocks and hen live in plenty in the houses of aborigines,there, partly cultured, and the horrible thing isthe children daily comes down and goes up, in the untrodden path, tothe climax is there is dialpidated conditioned temple with pillars and carnivas, thrown on the sand,
the rest in next

#78 ·
Barring a small section between Panagudi and Kanyakumari, the four-lane stretch of National Highway 7, connecting Chennai with the southern tip of the country, will be fully ready for vehicular traffic before May this year, Minister for Shipping, Road Transport and Highways T. R. Baalu said on Friday.
when will panakudy kanyakumari done? why ? who is to be blamed
refer;
http://www.thehindu.com/2009/02/07/stories/2009020754210400.htm

#79 ·
Barring a small section between Panagudi and Kanyakumari, the four-lane stretch of National Highway 7, connecting Chennai with the southern tip of the country, will be fully ready for vehicular traffic before May this year, Minister for Shipping, Road Transport and Highways T. R. Baalu said on Friday.
when will panakudy kanyakumari done? why ? who is to be blamed
refer;
http://www.thehindu.com/2009/02/07/stories/2009020754210400.htm
cheers

#80 ·
This aint my fake multiple ID FYFI Mr. Jaleel! [am not here to argue with ur stupid remarks].:nuts:
When u take pictures from sites without mentioning the source, it equals to stealing them!

Am not against posting pics from wikipedia or anywhere! But juzz include the source at the end too! That way it'd be like a credit to the pic owner too!:) [Also remember, pics in wikipedia are also copyrighted to the owners!]
keep posting! cheers:cheers:

Requesting someone to reveal their identity is not a stupid remark, my dear. I just said, better reveal our identity, especially before criticising anyone. This is just natural justice and good manners.

Cheers