SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Kanya Kumari (Cape Comorin), Nagercoil & Colachel

1M views 6K replies 229 participants last post by  gyme 
#1 · (Edited)
Ladies & Gentlemen,

Located 89 km on the South East of the Trivandrum City Centre is the beautiful locale - the Cape Comorin .

This place is the southern most tip of the Peninsular India.
It is the Cape in the Indian Sub-Continent , where the three seas viz.

The Indian Ocean, The Arabian Sea / Laccadive Sea and the Bay of Bengal merge.

It is one of the very rare locations on this mother earth, where we can see the Sun Rise and the Sunset as well.

Cape Comorin is also called Kanya Kumari. (Comorin is the anglicised form of Kumari). Devi Kanya Kumari is the main Idol of the famous temple located in Cape. Apart from this temple, the Gandhi Smrithi Mandapam,
Vivekananda Rock & Thiru Valluvar Statue attract millions.

Nagercoil (located 70 km South of Trivandrum) is the Headquarters of the Southermost District of India (Kanya Kumari). In Tamil Nadu, this District is more popularly called KK District and the people are known as Kumarans. The District was constituted in 1956 (at a time when the State Re-organisation took place) by dividing the elstwhile Trivandrum District and out of the eight Taluks of the then Trivandrum, four were given to Tamil Nadu.

Colachel is an ancient port city, which is historically important. The Dutch Captain Delnoy was defeated by the Travancore Navy at the end of the 'Battle of Colachel'). Colachel is located 50 km south of the Vizhinjam Port in Trivandrum District.

I welcome all to add interestng features on the development of these three places.

I shall also be adding in more informations on the other attractions like
Colachel Port, Uzhavar Chandai, Monday Market, River Thamraparni, Pechipparai Dam, Kothayar Dams, Thripparappu, Kulasekharam,
Padmanabhapuram Palace, Uppalam, Vivekananda Centre, Thiruvitamcode Tunnel,Azhakiyamandapam, Thuckalay, Veli Malay, Maruthua Malay , Marthandam, Vedivechan Coil, Mulagummoodu, Thoduvetty, Saamiyar Madom , Netta etc etc.

Cheers

See less See more
#21 ·
Kanyakumari & Nagercoil Pictures

Folks,

I'm out of India and hence unable to post the latest pictures of the picturesque KK District. It will be much appreciated, if somebody can volunteer. The action will be much appreciated.

Cheers
Jal

Please click the link below to see more pictures.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=374707
This is from a thread that became inactive in uly 2006.
Kindly revive that thread too.

Cheers

#22 ·
#23 ·
A boost, not a threat....

Vizhinjam has been proposed for the past 50 years or so. So it is definitely not something which popped up all of a sudden. The project has unbeatable advantages like its natural depth, strategic location, minimal littoral drift and proximity to a major city.

However, Vizhinjam need not rule out Colachel or vice-versa. Major transshipment terminals are found close together, like in Singapore, Shanghai or Los Angelos and working synergistically. The transshipment demand in India could be over 100 million TEUs by 2025 or so, and this massive volume makes it possible for multiple hubs to co-exist.

Vizhinjam is finally on its way despite many a hinderance. It has received no favours from our Honourable Union Minister for Shipping, who once publically declared that he didn't know where Vizhinjam was. It definitely has a head start over Colachel, but that need not mean the latter is a closed chapter. In fact, Vizhinjam's success may strengthen the case for Colachel.

I read somewhere that the strongest opposition for Colachel comes, in fact, from Tuticorin Port Trust. After all, Colachel will pose a threat, if at all, to Tuticorin as much as it does to Vizhinjam.

Developments triggered by Vizhinjam will definitely spill over into and benefit Kanyakumari, Tirunelveli and Tuticorin districts. Considering the paucity of land in Kerala, most of the associated facilities like logistics hubs, warehousing zones, free trade areas and SEZs will mostly come up in the above mentioned districts.

So, frankly, I don't see what the competition is all about. Do you? :)

#24 ·
^^ Its only us who think this way and definitely not the politicians or the promoters who bid for such projects. Im certain that if at all Lanco is given the green signal, they will oppose or even set a clause in the MoU which prohibits new transhipment hubs in the region. Even if Colachel gets green signal, the promoter there too would insist on the same.

TN govt will definitely push for developing Colachel port and the central minister Mr. T.R Baalu could play a keey part in it.

#25 ·
^^ Its only us who think this way and definitely not the politicians or the promoters who bid for such projects. Im certain that if at all Lanco is given the green signal, they will oppose or even set a clause in the MoU which prohibits new transhipment hubs in the region. Even if Colachel gets green signal, the promoter there too would insist on the same.

TN govt will definitely push for developing Colachel port and the central minister Mr. T.R Baalu could play a keey part in it.

Lanco's MoU is with the GoK & not with GoI.
GoK has no jurisdiction over Colachel.
So no worries.
Please be optimistic, Madurai.
As Ajay had rightly said, Vizhinjam & Colachel will work complementarily & benefit mutually - the net result: tremendous improvement in the quality of life of the people of extreme South India, who had been neglected for ages.

Cheers

#26 ·
unnecessary debate

Vizhinjam has been proposed for the past 50 years or so. So it is definitely not something which popped up all of a sudden. The project has unbeatable advantages like its natural depth, strategic location, minimal littoral drift and proximity to a major city.

However, Vizhinjam need not rule out Colachel or vice-versa. Major transshipment terminals are found close together, like in Singapore, Shanghai or Los Angelos and working synergistically. The transshipment demand in India could be over 100 million TEUs by 2025 or so, and this massive volume makes it possible for multiple hubs to co-exist.

Vizhinjam is finally on its way despite many a hinderance. It has received no favours from our Honourable Union Minister for Shipping, who once publically declared that he didn't know where Vizhinjam was. It definitely has a head start over Colachel, but that need not mean the latter is a closed chapter. In fact, Vizhinjam's success may strengthen the case for Colachel.

I read somewhere that the strongest opposition for Colachel comes, in fact, from Tuticorin Port Trust. After all, Colachel will pose a threat, if at all, to Tuticorin as much as it does to Vizhinjam.

Developments triggered by Vizhinjam will definitely spill over into and benefit Kanyakumari, Tirunelveli and Tuticorin districts. Considering the paucity of land in Kerala, most of the associated facilities like logistics hubs, warehousing zones, free trade areas and SEZs will mostly come up in the above mentioned districts.

So, frankly, I don't see what the competition is all about. Do you? :)

Hi Ajay,
I think you are trying to deliberately prove Vizhinjam's "innocence". But nobody from KK forum opposes Vizhinjam because all wish that every part of the country grow equally. They are putting forward the view that Colachel can become economically unviable if they further delay this project.
I am from Tuticorin Port and I firmly believe that the purpose of Tuticorin and Colachel are entirely different. Tuticorin port has never been thought of as a Transhipment Harbour as it is almost locked within "Gulf of Mannar". And Indian Govt will not be stupid enough to propose Tuticorin as a Transshipment harbour, and if the Govt does so, then India will lose it to Colombo sea port.
In addition Tuticorin is already running close to its peak capacity just by feeding ****, TTPS, Sterlite copper and the Exports from Madurai/Covai regions. Also, there are 3-4 mega Thermal power projects coming up in Tuticorin Districts, which needs heavy capacity addition and hence the future of Tuticorin Port Trust can be considered to be one of the healthiest in the whole country. By the time Colcahel and Vizhinjam comes into existence, all the proposed Thermal Power projects would have become operational and started importing Coal from TPT.
To add to this, the viablity of both Colachel and Vizhinjam depends on their operational efficiency and cost efficiency in comparison to Colombo Port, and I firmly believe that Colachel and even Vizhinjam will be cheaper as these places are rural compared to Colombo which is a national capital. The very mission of these Transhipment harbours will be to give a tough competition to Colombo and may be a little damage to Singapore Sea Port too.

AND THERE IS ENOUGH ROOM FOR BOTH VIZHINJAM AND COLACHEL'S CO-EXISTENCE

#27 ·
Lol, Vinoth, one needs to prove one's innocence only when accused of something. Since that was never the case, I was only trying to explain that the development of Vizhinjam and the prospects of Colachel are not a zero sum game.

Vizhinjam has no sugar daddy like a lot of other projects in the area. If it success hampers any other project, then that is simple free economy competition. I am sure had the tables been reversed, Colachel would not have spared a thought for the development of Vizhinjam.

As Jaleel pointed out, the developers of Vizhinjam will have no right or power to put a hurdle before the development of Colachel as Vizhinjam is a State project. I believe that they will be happy to let the advantages of Vizhinjam as a deep-water transshipment hub do the talking instead.

My wife's family resided just 5 Km from Colachel and I have been to the harbour site. I am all for the project, since I think it will have excellent synergy with Vizhinjam.

Like you said, Vinoth, the two ports can easily co-exist.

#28 ·
Lol, Vinoth, one needs to prove one's innocence only when accused of something. Since that was never the case, I was only trying to explain that the development of Vizhinjam and the prospects of Colachel are not a zero sum game.

Vizhinjam has no sugar daddy like a lot of other projects in the area. If it success hampers any other project, then that is simple free economy competition. I am sure had the tables been reversed, Colachel would not have spared a thought for the development of Vizhinjam.

As Jaleel pointed out, the developers of Vizhinjam will have no right or power to put a hurdle before the development of Colachel as Vizhinjam is a State project. I believe that they will be happy to let the advantages of Vizhinjam as a deep-water transshipment hub do the talking instead.

My wife's family resided just 5 Km from Colachel and I have been to the harbour site. I am all for the project, since I think it will have excellent synergy with Vizhinjam.

Like you said, Vinoth, the two ports can easily co-exist.[/QUOTE]

This is the what we need and this will fulfil the dreams of the neglected people of the far South India.

Cheers

#29 ·

Like you said, Vinoth, the two ports can easily co-exist.
Hi Ajay... I was just trying to make fun by saying "vizhinjam's innocence".. My real concern is the Terrain around Vizhinjam (south Kerala) and infrastructure to provide essential services like Roads, Rail, Fuel- all in a cost effective way. If the government of Kerala has a long term view then Vizhinjam is going to be a huge success.. Else.. ? Also the communist impact over the workers in Kerala is a potential threat, which should be seriously dealt with amendments to Labour laws, like making an SEZ exemption.. This stands more or less the same to Colachel also. The ideal way of overcoming this problem, could be completely privatizing the projects even without a BOT model..

#30 ·
People of Vizhinjam are United.

Hi Ajay... I was just trying to make fun by saying "vizhinjam's innocence".. My real concern is the Terrain around Vizhinjam (south Kerala) and infrastructure to provide essential services like Roads, Rail, Fuel- all in a cost effective way. If the government of Kerala has a long term view then Vizhinjam is going to be a huge success.. Else.. ? Also the communist impact over the workers in Kerala is a potential threat, which should be seriously dealt with amendments to Labour laws, like making an SEZ exemption.. This stands more or less the same to Colachel also. The ideal way of overcoming this problem, could be completely privatizing the projects even without a BOT model..

The people of Vizhinjam are united beyond Politics, Race & Religion.
That is why the Project is coming up fast.
Some of the business groups having vested interest against Vizhinjam (both globally and locally) had tried their level best to creat confusions among the Locals & the media by money power. But nothing succeeded.

The GoK already have initiated actions to have a dedicated railway line to the port site. The NH 47 is passing close (soon to be converted to 3 + 3 lane) to the work site.

Also worthwhile to mention tha fact that it is the terrain, topography and geographical featues around Vizhinjam that saved Trivandrum from Tsunami in 2004. While 50 km North & South were badly hit by Tsunami, the Trivandrum coast was leat affected by the Tsunami.

It is the Communist Government that is bringing up this project. Also the opposition is for the Project. People are educated.

Cheers.

#31 ·
Marg plans new fishing harbour in TN

Marg (formerly Marg Constructions) today announced that it will set up a new fishing harbour at Rajakkamangalam, nearly the southern-most tip of the country, Kanyakumari (in Tamil Nadu) with an investment of Rs 45 crore.

Though the company will be investing completely in this new fishing harbour, a local fishing community's trust will be given a 51 per cent stake in the project. Company executives said that the idea is to initiate this project as an economic as well as a CSR activity.

An estimated 8000 fishermen will directly benefit from this project when it gets commissioned in October 2010.

The project will have a debt component of 90 per cent.

Some the key components in this port would be mooring facilities for some 300 boats, waterfront facilities for safe landing, boat building and repair yard, ice plant and cold storage facility for preservation of marines catches.

The location is known for good tuna catch. Company executives said that with motorized boats put to use, fishermen can expect their incomes to go up by as much as 10 times.

The project is expected to break-even within three years of commissioning.

#32 ·
Marg (formerly Marg Constructions) today announced that it will set up a new fishing harbour at Rajakkamangalam, nearly the southern-most tip of the country, Kanyakumari (in Tamil Nadu) with an investment of Rs 45 crore.

Though the company will be investing completely in this new fishing harbour, a local fishing community's trust will be given a 51 per cent stake in the project. Company executives said that the idea is to initiate this project as an economic as well as a CSR activity.

An estimated 8000 fishermen will directly benefit from this project when it gets commissioned in October 2010.

The project will have a debt component of 90 per cent.

Some the key components in this port would be mooring facilities for some 300 boats, waterfront facilities for safe landing, boat building and repair yard, ice plant and cold storage facility for preservation of marines catches.

The location is known for good tuna catch. Company executives said that with motorized boats put to use, fishermen can expect their incomes to go up by as much as 10 times.

The project is expected to break-even within three years of commissioning.

Thanks for your contribution.One humble request "Please provide the source ...". This will help forumers to understand the news,if you doesnt post the news fully.Moreover,we can decide whether these news are coming from genuine paper or channel,in the case of avialability of source.

#33 ·
Guys, please go through this report on Vizhinjam and Colachel ports.

http://azharttm.blogspot.com/2006/08/colachel-vizhinjam-port-projects.html

Monday, August 28, 2006
Colachel, Vizhinjam port projects caught in high seas

Two port projects, at a distance of just 40 km on the West Coast. The project sites are very close and the maritime, topographical and environmental features are more or less similar. But there's a hitch-- they are in two different states, Tamil Nadu and Kerala.

However, experts on maritime affairs say Vizhinjam has certain distinctive advantages over Colachel. The natural draft is 17 to 20 meters within 500 meters to one km from the shore. The sandy bottom makes dredging and deepening for construction easier, and the current velocity and tide levels are in acceptable range.

At Colachel, they say, the natural draft of 15 meters is found only one km from the shore and 20 meter draft is available only four-five km away. The sea bottom at Colachel is rocky requiring substantial amount of blasting for dredging or deepening, impacting marine ecology.

A hub port on the West Coast, close to the international sea route, is essential for India’s industrial and economic development.

Both Colachel and Vizhinjam can serve this purpose, may be with a variance in cost. Hence, from a national perspective, experts feel that instead of competing with each other, TN and Kerala should co-operate and jointly develop India’s star port.

#34 ·
As Ajay had rightly said, Vizhinjam & Colachel will work complementarily & benefit mutually - the net result: tremendous improvement in the quality of life of the people of extreme South India, who had been neglected for ages.

Cheers
Yes, Jaleel you said it right. Both Vizhinjam and Colachel ports should be developed by the respective state governments that can bring in more business and employment potential to this underdeveloped region. A Vizhinjam-Colachel corridor is welcome that can place warehouses and logistic hubs.

#35 ·
^^ Do you think Lanco who has won the bid will agree to the development of Colachel port. I am sure Lanco if at all signs an MoU will include a rule which prohibits development of ports in the region. The same will be the case with a developer of Colachel too. You must have seen the recent problem between BIAL and HAL airports in Bangalore.
As for HAL and BIAL, please note that the central government has come up now with a new aviation policy that in future existing airports will not be shut down. Best example is the new greenfield airport proposed in Sriperumbudur at Chennai by retaining the existing airport at Meenambakkam.

As for ports, already there is Vallarpadom transhipment terminal coming up near Kochi 200km north. Dubai ports is building the Vallarpadom port and there is no such restriction in the agreement signed barring any new transhipment ports in the region.

Hence, it is very clear that the promoters may not ask for any such restrictions considering the ample opportunity in the international shipping trade available and the fact that competing ports are located at other countries than the ones in India.

#36 ·
Foundation laid for fishing harbour

Staff Reporter

NAGERCOIL: Tourism Minister N. Suresh Rajan laid the foundation for the Rs.45-crore Rajakkamangalamthurai fishing harbour on Sunday.

Presiding over the function, Fisheries Minister K.P.P. Samy lauded the efforts of Marg Group’s initiative to build the first fishing harbour in India on a built operate and transfer basis. The port, to be built through public-private partnership, would bring inclusive growth to Rajakkamangalamthurai and surrounding coastal areas.

G.R.K. Reddy, Chief Managing Director, Marg Limited, said the harbour would generate employment for 8,000 people when it was fully operational in 2010.

http://www.hindu.com/2008/05/27/stories/2008052754360500.htm

Reactions: jonathanNCJ
#37 ·
Colachel harbour to be developed

http://www.chennaionline.com/colnew...CCF3-44BC-B24B-272BD816447E}&CATEGORYNAME=CHN

Nagercoil, June 08: The Kanyakumari district administration has been asked to acquire 1,000 acres of land for developing the Colachel harbour, Tamil Nadu Highways Minister Vellakoil Saminathan said today.

Saminathan told reporters here that the survey for land acquisition had already begun and the harbour would soon be developed into a commercial harbour.

He said government had planned to set up a port at Thirukuvilai in Nagapattinam district and a shipyard at Sivathimangalam in Cuddalore district at a cost of Rs 1000 crore.

Stating that the government had allotted a substantial amount for maintenance of roads in the state, he said the national highway between Kanyakumari and Thiruvananthapuram would be converted into four-lane for which the survey work had already started.

Later, at a function, the Minister said the state government had taken necessary steps to control the spiralling prices of construction materials.

He said the government had allocated Rs 44 crore for constructing more flyovers in Nagercoil.

#38 ·
Rs.23 crore sanctioned for laying double lane roads

Nagercoil: The Government has allotted a sum of Rs.23 crore for converting single lane roads in to double lane stretches to a distance of 216.55 km in the district, said the Collector, B. Jothi Nirmala.

Speaking to presspersons here on Saturday she said that eight roads in different parts of the district to a stretch of 18.78 km had been widened and strengthened during 2007-08. Similarly 41 roads to a stretch of 81.75 km had also been widened and strengthened during the same year. The Government has also allotted a sum of Rs.30.15 lakh for the construction of three bridges in different parts of the district.

Works were going on for the widening and strengthening of 34 roads to a stretch of 80.14 km, nine roads to a stretch of 33.2 km and also for the construction of 10 bridges in the current year. Works would be completed at the earliest.

Under the integrated road development programme a sum of Rs.6.42 crore had been allotted for the maintenance of 10 roads to a stretch of 25 km.

Administrative sanction had already been obtained from the Government for the construction of 69 small bridges across Valliyar near Eraniel at the total estimated cost of Rs.1.81 crore, Rs.2 crore for the construction of a bridge near Thiruvattar and Rs.1 crore for the construction of a bridge near Pechipparai dam.

For the remaining road and bridge works officials had already been asked to prepare a detailed estimate with an intention to complete all the works within the current financial year.

With the completion of all the road works 216.55 km roads would be widened and strengthened in different parts of the district

The Government has decided to construct 285 bridges in different parts of the State, including 69 bridges in the district.

http://www.hindu.com/2008/07/21/stories/2008072154510300.htm

Reactions: jonathanNCJ
#39 ·
Construction of Colachel Harbour has been in the air for over ten years. Feasibility report prepared by RITES in 1998 was updated by the Malasiyan government through a Board in 2000. It has been reported in April 2008, that Colachel can handle five million TEU and a land area of 2000 acres was required. Apparently the debate of Colachel or Vizhinjam has been settled in favor of a positive nod for both. So, the two will complement one another in output and vie with each other in efficiency.

Colachel is envisaged as a hub port for containers. The estimated global container movement as of now , is 550million TEU. China handled 115.445 million TEU through 9 of her major ports in 2007. Singapore ranked first in the world, handling 27.932 million TEU. With 12 major ports, India handled around 6 million TEU. The immense scope for India’s growth may be easily ascertained. A substantial share of future growth will go to ports in proximity to international shipping lanes. Colachel has the potential for instant success as a hub port for containers.

Among the essential attributes of a hub port is geographic location. The natural endowments of draft and excellent positioning can be exploited by Tamil Nadu to optimum advantage. Road connectivity through NH 47 to the west, NH 7 to the North and NH 45B to the East is already available. A short 8 lane link from NH 47 will complete the picture. Rail connectivity existing in close proximity will need only a spur line. To attract mother vessels, substantial amount of hinterland cargo is basic. The districts of Kanniyakumari and Thinnaveli, with a land area of 8494 sq. km. can go through a phase of rapid industrialization.

An enclave of 20,000 hectares (200 sq.km.) around Colachel carved out of Kanniyakumari district can be developed like Shenzhen. The latter was setup in August 1980 on 328sq.km. and has continued to serve as a model. Nanguneri SEZ and many more ultra mega projects, developed through conscious design in the deep south are sure to produce throughput for a thriving port. Colachel can rival Chennai in half a century. It took Shenzhen less than 30 years to grow into a flourishing city of 10 million people with Shenzhen ports handling 21.1 million TEU in 2007.

Besides Ennore, Chennai and Tuticorin, a major port is needed in the south for Tamil Nadu. It will serve the needs of general cargo as well as containers. More importantly, it will be the port for a major SEZ. Good infrastructure along with cheap marine transportation is a major contributor to a successful SEZ. Ground conditions appear ideal for Colachel to capture this position. It is anticipated that this harbor will in due course have a draft in excess of 25 meters. Handling 7th and 8th generation main line ships carrying 7 to 8000 containers each can be Tamil Nadu’s pride. So too will be the spatially dispersed and balanced growth of Tamil Nadu.

“Our minds build cathedrals before the workmen have moved a stone” - Prof. Whitehead

Keeran

#40 ·
Rs. 27-crore fishing harbour for Colachel

NAGERCOIL: A sum of Rs. 27.10 crore had been allocated for construction of a fishing harbour at Colachel in Kanyakumari district. The required land of 3.75 hectares was acquired from the Tamil Nadu Maritime Board, said the Executive Engineer of Department of Fisheries, S. K. Mohanan.

Speaking to The Hindu here, he said that the cost of the project would be shared equally between the State and the Centre. In this project, space would be provided to berth mechanised fishing vessels and fibre-reinforced boats, along with necessary approach bund.

A quay to a length of 242 metres would be constructed to facilitate loading of fuel and food and unloading of fish and other fishing gear. An auction hall, net-mending shed, gear shed, workshop, administrative office, canteen, toilets, generator room, radio communication tower and security room would be the other facilities.

Compound wall, drainage facility and approach road had also been proposed in the scheme, Mr. Mohanan said.

The harbour will benefit fisherfolk of Colachel, Kodimunai, Vaniyakudi, Kurumbanai, Kottilpadu, Mandaicaduputhur and Chinnavilai.

It was expected to enhance foreign exchange earnings through export of high quality fish and prawns, especially tuna fish fertilised in wedge banks. It would generate employment for 1,600 persons directly and 5,000 persons indirectly, particularly those from fishermen community.

There was no fishing harbour between Kanyakumari and Neerodi along the west coast of the district. Nearly 1,500 mechanised vessels from the district had switched operations to Kerala, Karnataka, Maharashtra and Gujarat. Kanyakumari fisheremen were facing problems leading to clashes, damage to boats, nets and other property in alien fishing centres, said Mr. Mohanan.

Local Administration Minister M. K. Stalin would lay the foundation stone for the harbour at Colachel on August 5.

Source: http://www.hindu.com/2008/08/04/stories/2008080457120100.htm