SkyscraperCity Forum banner

The Cargo Building | Wapping | 324 Apartments/Retail | 8-13 Storeys

286K views 1K replies 139 participants last post by  Pietari 
#1 ·
Is there a L1 thread? Anyway, I took a few pics, gone quite deep:

See less See more
#940 ·
I think that the Brasilia cathedral is more of an architectural icon. I've only ever seen it from TV and photographs but it appears to me to be rather theatrical. It is said that Neimeyer was an atheist and that seems to be revealed in the building. So the congregation enters through a dark lobby to enter this amazing space with the wig-wam columns and stained glass in-between - rather like some psychedelic experience. Maybe that was the architect's view of religion.

I suppose it is inevitable that the Metropolitan Cathedral will be compared to the Neimeyer building although the similarities are probably overstated. When seen four-square on from a distance, the Met isn't that impressive but close to the power of the building is apparent. I always love to see the lantern tower looming above the rooftops - rather like the dome of St Pauls in old films.

Maybe greater attention should have been given to some of the building details - the iconic feature of the ribs that come out of the ground - in one location punching through the side of the podium - and are continued until they end as the delicate finials on the lantern tower is a major component of the design but could have been done better, particularly where the ribs meet the base of the lantern tower and are interrupted by the heavy black ring beam.

Still, the setting of the cathedral with the steps and art works has been much improved since it first opened and I wouldn't see it as inferior to the Brasilia Cathedral.

#942 ·
Death of man found at Baltic Triangle building site not being treated as suspicious

The death of a man whose body was found at a building site in the Baltic Triangle is not being treated as suspicious.

The man’s body was discovered at the Balfour Beatty site in Kings Dock Street at about 8am today.

Merseyside Police confirmed the death was not being treated as suspicious.

A file is being prepared for the coroner and enquiries to identify the man are ongoing.

Police and paramedics were called to the site this morning and the man was pronounced dead at the scene.

His death is being treated as unexplained.

A spokesman for Balfour Beatty said: “ Merseyside Police has confirmed the discovery of a man’s body on Balfour Beatty’s Baltic Triangle construction site this morning.

“The safety of the public and our workforce is always our primary concern and we are assisting the police with their investigation.”
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/death-man-found-baltic-triangle-11930748

#943 ·
WHAT’S BEEN HAPPENING?

Block A – Precast installation completed, tower crane removed and roof waterproofing completed. Internal fit out commenced.
Block B – Precast complete and tower crane removed. Roof covering works complete. Internal fit out commenced.
Block C – Internal fit out progressing and sample apartments completed.

WHAT’S COMING UP?

Block A - Curtain walls to ground floor and South elevation underway, with balcony, bi-folding doors and window installation on-going.
Block B - Window installation on-going, ground floor curtain wall screens commenced. 3 no. cradles operating for cutting, cleaning, mastic snagging and window works.
Block C - 3 no. cradles are in operation for the remedial and mastic works to the elevations, and for any window completion and snagging.
Working towards completion February 2017

#951 ·
There is a lot of Liverpool. I don't wish CPOs on those people. Those are homes and communities. Move North, or South. Plenty of room.

As viewed from anglican cathedral today:

Look at all that red brick. Such a vibrant spatial identity. Its going to look completely different to Chinatown which in turn will look completely different (hopefully) to Liverpool Waters. Very, very good

#952 ·
splendid, but to further improve the area that cancerogenic electric substation must be moved out, little soweto bulldozed and its population rehoused in the new neighbourhood and bush covered but cherished heap´s rice mill bdg finally saved and reused, it could be set on fire anytime

#953 ·
Can anyone tell me what these maritime inspired blocks are here?

There's a fairly recent build in front of the Michel in Hamburg since I left, and it's also full of port holes, ship-like angles and resembles a cross between a prison ship and a cheaply built immigrant detention centre.

It's like they decided to splash out on some new balconies in Neubrandenburg

#954 ·
Can anyone tell me what these maritime inspired blocks are

There's a fairly recent build in front of the Michel in Hamburg since I left, and it's also full of port holes, ship-like angles and resembles a cross between a prison ship and a cheaply built immigrant detention centre.

It's like they decided to splash out on some new balconies in Neubrandenburg
I think it's called King's Quay...I think they've been there since the late 90's but I'm not sure as I was just a sprog back then!

#965 · (Edited)
The coloured panels on the internal elevation of the Wapping block have been put into the right order (mostly) -
https://flic.kr/p/MHxAGS

The Cornhill block showing firstly, the lowest windows are slightly below street level, meaning a conventional 'back of pavement' arrangement between the building and the street will not be possible. Also showing the jetwashing observed a number of weeks ago didn't progress any further than the corner nearest the Baltic Fleet. This is a shame, as not only does the rest of the block need doing... -
https://flic.kr/p/NxAWBV

...the rear elevation of the internal block desperately needs it -
https://flic.kr/p/MHxABb

#968 ·
Well looking at the photo they are not going to be able to clean/jet wash walls until all windows are fitted.

From the Albert dock this looks like a great addition especially after what has been there for years and years and years.

Looking forward to see the it cleaned up/finished product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.