SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Kings Dock Mill - Phase 2 | Hurst Street | 204 Apartments | 10-13 Storeys | Stalled

222K views 611 replies 103 participants last post by  Liverpool1207 
#1 · (Edited)
I've given this its own thread, rather than placing it in the Baltic Triangle thread, as it seems like, if it comes to pass, it'll be quite a large development.

Anyway, an application has gone in for the re-development of the current YHA youth hostel site, bounded by Hurst Street, Tabley Street, Sparking Street, and Wapping. For those uncertain of the site in question, it's the silver-roofed building in the centre of this image - http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=53.3978840988423~-2.9858275131977337&lvl=19&sty=h

The application reads -

Full application for the redevelopment of land at Hurst Street/ Sparling Street/ Tabley Street/Wapping to provide a mixed use development comprising 180 No. bedroom hotel, 100 No. apartments, 220 bed YHA building, and retail space (585 sq m), plus associated access and parking arrangements, landscaping and amenity space, together with outline application for 95 No. bedroom care home.
http://northgate.liverpool.gov.uk/P...kins/Liverpool_M3/Menus/PL.xml&DAURI=PLANNING

Although there is a fair amount of open space around the existing youth hostel, clearly to fit all of the above on that site is going to require a building several storeys taller than the existing three storey youth hostel. Together with the new Hampton by Hilton on the site diagonally opposite, this should make a valuable contribution to the regeneration of the Baltic Triangle.

See less See more
#164 ·
Question - Is the electricity sub-station at the back still in use? I tended to think this was in one of the phases.

I wouldn't think people would want to live so near such a place. Not good for your health.

#165 ·
Question - Is the electricity sub-station at the back still in use? I tended to think this was in one of the phases..
Based on the fact it seems to be well-maintained, and visually appears to be a more modern facility, I would imagine it's still in use, and thus will likely remain. I suppose it is a bit unfortunate having such a low level facility in a location that could easily hold more, but I suppose that's the price to be paid for all these new developments in the near vicinity, all requiring an electrical supply.

#173 ·
To early to say............

With 200+ apartments proposed for this site with other residential schemes being built / planned in the Baltic, the YHA will know they are sitting on a "gold mine". I guess a phase 3 will happen if the YHA can find a cheaper location having bagged a good profit from their present site.

#178 ·
There's no getting away from the fact that this looks like a bit of a pig and that LCC insistence on the area having a fabricated "brick character" is slightly mad. If we were trying to keep it's long-standing character intact, we'd need to make sure all developments are single storeys units with corrugated metal walls. That said, I'll wave through any number of pigs like this as long as the modern stuff doesn't get held back.

#182 ·
http://andrewlouis.co.uk/property/details/1_P2612595

Summary Details:

We are proud to introduce a selection of 2 bedroom luxury 4th\5th floor apartments based within the new Kings Dock Mill property development that will set the standards in modern 5-star luxury living in the exciting city of Liverpool. Offering property investors an affordable entrance to the lucrative UK Buy to Let sector with 7% NET returns assured for 3 years and priced 15% Below Market Value - Kings Dock Mill is a great growth and income vehicle for both experienced and first time investors alike.

#184 ·
With this site and the Heaps Mill site, that would only leave that long sit between Blundell Street/kings dock street left that needs sorting. The one with the metal frame left standing from what i guess was once an industrial shed. I know the Formule one needs sorting but i can't see that happening and Baltic Village being garbage but in terms of developed land, that'd more or less all of it between Blundell street and Liverpool One! :cheers:

#185 ·
^^

That site is a bit of a roadblock, effectively cutting the Baltic Triangle in two. I'd like to see new routes linking Hurst Street and Shaw's Alley to Kings Dock Street, and then a further route linking to Simpson Street across Blundell Street. This would greatly increase permeability in the area, and would help bring additional footfall to support the new developments we hope for on the site you mention.

#186 ·
I think what is needed for both south and north ends of the city centre is a guiding overarching masterplan of how things should be intended to look/work/interact, along with identifying those sorts of needs.

If we don't have this then it will be developments happening in isolation, some good and some not so good, with any joining between both each other and the city happening only by co-incidence and consequence rather than civic design.