SkyscraperCity Forum banner

St Luke's View | Oldham Street | 772 Student Flats | 11 Storeys

116K views 405 replies 76 participants last post by  flypie125 
#1 ·
I thought this was probably worthy of its own thread now it has planning permission, save cluttering up the Renshaw Street thread where it discussed originally, and was only vaguely on topic.

From the Daily Post -

Liverpool Council backs new £56m ‘Flatiron’ hotel plans

Apr 29 2010 by David Bartlett, Liverpool Daily Post

A RUN-DOWN city centre car park will be demolished to make way for two hotels and more than 100 post-graduate apartments in a £56m development.

Bearing a striking resemblance to New York’s famous Flatiron building, it will be constructed in Liverpool’s Oldham Street, off Renshaw Street: “We hope this development will be in the vanguard of the next wave of city centre regeneration bringing meaningful investment and continued growth to Liverpool,” said Simon Murray Twinn, managing director of Northern Ireland based Tara House Ltd, which is behind the project.

It is hoped that the development – which has a 140-bedroom three-star hotel, a 130-bedroom budget hotel, and 113 post-graduate studio apartments – will create 250 jobs.

In total, the scheme will add 270 new hotel rooms to the 4,000-plus which now exist in the city.

Mr Murray Twinn said the company had secured a major international hotel operator for both hotels and expects to be able to announce the identity next month.

Designed by Liverpool architects Falconer Chester Hall, the development also includes a basement car park with 247 spaces available on either a long or short stay basis.

It is hoped that the car park will prove popular with visitors to the nearby Philharmonic Hall and the Everyman Theatre, where on- street parking is limited.
Article continues here - http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk...-new-56m-flatiron-hotel-plans-92534-26340343/

Renders posted by buggedboy -

Now that is nice. When compared to what is going up at Kings Dock Mill, this is soo much better. It actually looks like someone designed the thing and bothered to spend a bit of cash on it.

I wish these buildings were getting built on the higher profile streets though, rather than the infill. Still, this is very welcome indeed.

They sound quite hopeful regarding start dates, though they have had years to start on site here, with different permissions. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

#170 ·
Feels like a bit of a slow burner, this one. I'd have expected to see more progress by now.
I suppose the problem is that it isn't due for completion until September 2017. From when they started, that gave them almost a two-year window. Despite the development being a fair old size, two years is far longer than it should take to build a building of this scale. If it was apartments, so time would be money, they might have gone at it quicker.

I can't help but wonder, if they had thrown significant manpower at it, whether they might just have scraped in for September this year? Certainly in Unite's position, with the financial clout they have, that is what I would have done. They are charging £129 a week over at Grand Central. Say student flats are tenanted for 35 weeks a year, multiplied by £129 a week, multiplied by 772 flats, and that's almost £3.5million. It's not all profit of course, but it's still something to make you sit up and take notice, and get the thing done for September 2016 if you can.

#187 ·
Nothing to get excited about, the excavator is from the adjacent Tara House site, note the Mayo Civils livery that's also visible in Chris B's photos. They're probably using the land to store some material.

89-99 Renshaw Street doesn't even have permission yet, so I can't imagine they've started any form of preparation. It is Frenson after all, isn't it?

#190 ·
#192 ·
So somewhat annoyingly, they've added these picture hoardings around virtually the whole site, thereby blocking the views through the gaps between hoarding panels, which we've been using to get recent updates -
https://flic.kr/p/ENeaeN

The only vantage points now are through the gates, which are usually manned, preventing getting a closer view. Therefore here's a quick photo at a funny angle to avoid the workers just out of shot to the right, showing things are moving along -
https://flic.kr/p/EYGX9c

#194 ·
Blow up......

Thanks for photo BeatDrive, crop shot off your pic.............

Yes , looks like a floor section cast, at last a bit of order from what has been a chaotic looking in-ground footings.............:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.