SkyscraperCity Forum banner

'un-chinese' like buildings sprouting up in China

15K views 56 replies 22 participants last post by  travelworld123 
#1 ·
on a recent trip to China (actually both times that i went), along major highways and roads, i see many houses and highrises which look very bland and 'fake'.

for example, on a highway going out of shanghai, all along the sides i see 3-4 story houses or mid rise apartments with fairytale castle like designs on its roofs. also the colours of these buildings are very 'fake' like, pale pink, pale blue etc...

it's as if the designers want to copy western 'designs' and they think that disney like castle things look good. also many buildings are built looking like typical american houses, it's sort of annoying me how they are trying to make it look american. this sort of thing takes away culture...
i'm not saying anything bad about america here, i'm purely saying that china should keep with their own architecture which looks nice.

imagine a chinese city where 75+% of buildings look 'chinese. like a modern, skyscraper city but with fulll chinese flavour...
driving along the shanghai expressway with massive skyscrapers with chinese style designs (taipei 101 for eg, or that massive hotel in taipei with the chinese style architecutre - that red massive one, don't know what its called).

See less See more
#40 · (Edited)
^^ oh and in that area around the village, a bunch of new cities with skyscraper downtowns are growing like cabbage, there names aren't even on GE....Ever heard of Zhangjiagang? Me neither, It happends to be a 1.2 million city that didn't existed before 1980 where GE doesn't show the name of...

#41 ·
all the reasons (cost effective, simpler, easier to build etc...), understandable due to large numbers required and 'its china', but yea, just seems not as good.

china should be as china as possible, most buildings immersed with culture and chinese flavour.

another similar note, heres a photo i have on my other thread that shows chinese architecutre implemented on buildings.

^^^^^^
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=62677989#post62677989

and that huaxi village thing is insane!! along with that skyscraper, what are those ancient pagoda like things? never herd of this before!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.