SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Stanley Dock Warehouse Complex | Great Howard Street/Regent Road | Titanic Hotel/Conference Facilities/Mixed Use | U/C

564K views 2K replies 213 participants last post by  UltraZ 
#1 ·
I start this thread because I stumbled across this:
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891
which has some great photo's of it.

What an amazing building.

What is going on with it?
As an outsider I don't know too much about its current usage - Is it actually used for anything?
What about the future - Does it have any serious future plans?

Does Peel own it?

What would people like to see happen with it?

#2 ·
The problem with this building is the ceilings are too low and there was a plan to hollow it out and create apartments but nothing came of it.Peel don't own it as far as I know but they were in talks ages ago with the people who do about some kind of partnership as it's slap bang next to were Liverpool Waters is to be.It's a great shame this building is being left like this.

#3 ·
I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I favour the demolition of this building. The tobacco warehouse was built by Lyster in 1901, on the infilled south side of Stanley Dock. It is Grade II listed. The building overshadows and diminishes the southern warehouse by Jesse Hartley, built in 1848, Grade II* and similar to the Albert Dock.

I have a vision of Stanley Dock with refurbished Hartley warehouses on either side of the dock and a superb open space alongside the water. At present the density of building and internal design blight the regeneration of the area.

#9 ·
I think that, just because it currently has no function, doesn't mean it never will. As such, it should be retained. Albert Dock looked like nothing other than a millstone around the city's neck for so long, only for the diamond to be given a good polish. The Tobacco warehouse is not so prominent that it present an immediate obstacle to development. On the contrary, is LW grows around it, it will become hot property before you know it.

Bank it for now. It's time will come.

#10 ·
This evening there was a report on the One Show about the iconic Fort Dunlop old tire factory in Brum.

It was a building with similar issues as Stanley in that the floor heights weren't particularly big. They appear to have constructed a travel Lodge on the side of the building, perhaps to act as an anchor for the rest of the regeneration and the building is now mixed use with offices, shops, apartments, etc.

Can't see any reason why this model can't be used for Stanley.

#18 ·
Sad phase which Detroit is going through, basically downsizing the city because it has facilities that can accommodate 2million people but its population is now half that.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/mar/09/detroit-looks-at-downsizing-to-save-city/

http://detroit.blogs.time.com/2010/03/09/downsizing-detroit/

http://detroityes.com/industry/14studepan.htm

I think making the Stanley Dock warehouse a leisure/adventure destination would be good. Maybe different floors have different themes or facilities.

Maybe a paint ballling floor, roller skating/ skateboard floor, a Farmageddon type floor, go-karting, abseiling on the outside, a food market with small eateries like on the Naschmarket in Vienna and space for arts and exhibitions.

Whether any are viable or possible is another thing.

#19 ·
I said some time ago that it would be perfect as the centrepeice of a fan park for a stadium at Clarence Dock.

You could have luxury Albert Dock style apartments on the top levels and then house the club's offices and an admin block in the levels below that.

On the ground, 1st and second floors you could house the ticketing office, museum, club shops, corporate hospitality (the heritage being a huge selling point on this front), cafes and bars.

Housing much of this within Stanley Dock Tobbacco Warehouse, would allow a compact stadium design to fit more sympathetically on the dock, since the stadium would not have to house all of those fascilities.

This has happened a lot with downtown stadiums in the states. The kind of thing Tom W Henry might be interested in for LFC or might suit cash strapped Everton FC.

#20 ·
^^

Correct. The most obvious example of this is Camden Yards, the home of the Baltimore Orioles. They were the first to move back into the downtown, and made excellent use of an old warehouse, which has an uncanny resemblance to the one by CostCo. The whole of American sport thought they were mad when they moved there nearly 20 years ago, but what they did is now the blueprint which has been copied many times over there.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/ballpark/index.jsp

#25 ·
Liverpool’s Tobacco Warehouse to be reborn as top music venue

Dec 24 2010 Liverpool Daily Post

LIVERPOOL’S historic Stanley Dock Tobacco Warehouse is set for a new life as a top music venue.

On Sunday night, the warehouse, the world’s largest brick building, is to host one of the biggest warehouse parties in decades.

The event is the first to have been organised by the project, The Tobacco Warehouse, and already more than 1,350 tickets have been sold with 1,500 expected to show up on the night.

The space has been a site for previous events seeing names such as The prodigy and Carl Cox, in the early 1990s, and recent Liverpool Biennial parties.

The night has attracted a range of world-famous DJs from the past and current music scene.

Project promoter and director Sean Weaver says he hopes to make the night reminiscent of some of the earlier acid house-influenced parties, but this time bring in a more modern line of music.

The successful Manchester-based Warehouse Project has proved the increasing popularity of such events but this night will offer a more varied range of music while retaining the unique character of the Liverpool building.

Mr Weaver said: “We want to give a breath of modern life to the building without losing its individuality.

“It may not be a custom-designed club, but it is an incredible place for this kind of event, with a natural acoustic.

“With such a range of music, we have been appealing to a wide demographic of customers, which is what we are hoping to do.”

Among the names on the bill is one of the biggest selling techno DJs of all time, DJ Rolando, and one of the founding fathers of dubstep, Hatcha. There will also be a DJ guest set from the lead singer of Kids In Glass Houses, as well as plenty of local legends, Thomas Tuft of 3B Records fame, Will Jazz and long-time Voodoo resident, Steve Shields.

The night will take place in the ground floor, expanding to areas which have not yet been used for parties.

More than £50,000 has been invested into the night, and the development of the site will continue into the New Year as the project plans more 2011 events.

“We are in the early stages of this project,” added Mr Weaver. “In 2011, we will be back in the May Bank holiday and with another two or three dates culminating in our first birthday on Boxing Day, with our guest acts getting bigger and better, but still retaining focus on throwing good parties for people to enjoy themselves.”

Read More http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk...top-music-venue-92534-27879754/#ixzz192Ic291Q

#26 ·
I think they should knock it down. They could just build smaller versions to match the Hartley ones. Maybe extend the waterspace.

Its looming bulk is just putting off the development of the whole North Shore.

And while we're at it we could nuke the Eldonians. Smug fucks.

#31 ·
IIRC, the Eldonians are a residential community living in an area called the Eldonian Village. The community formerly lived in a now demolished council estate. When it was announced the estate was to be demolished, rather than be relocated separately, they pulled together the funds to build their new housing estate and voila! They are apparently quite proud of their community, and I believe that there is a substantial demand to live on their estate.

#36 ·
Yerm? Switch Island Odeon? The Scotch Piper?

Ahh, the scumbag building-murdering building firm, not the Formby-sans-beach suburb. Don't know though. Confused.

Just watched the season finale Peep Show. Quite funny. It's online if you're interested..

#38 ·
^^ The vicinity of Stanley Dock reminds me, more than anywhere else of an American 30's dockland, possibly a setting for a Noir classic. No wonder its often used as a movie set. Irrespective of this though, for me the building is a symbol of much of north Liverpool in that it represents all of that absurd waste of potential.

#41 ·
^^Of all British cities, liverpool is the most transatlantic in feel. I went down to the Stanley Dock today with a New York born friend - ( although she lives in Liverpool). She often says that Liverpool reminds her of New York.
"...if Liverpool can get into top gear again there is no limit to the city's potential. The scale and resilience of the buildings and people is amazing – it is a world city, far more so than London and Manchester. It doesn't feel like anywhere else in Lancashire: comparisons always end up overseas – Dublin, or Boston, or Hamburg."
– Ian Nairn, Britain's Changing Towns, 1967​
A return has just been made, by order of parliament, which shews that Liverpool is now the greatest port in the British Empire in the value of its exports and the extent of its foreign commerce. Being the first port in the British Empire, it is the first port in the world. New York is the only place out of Great Britain which can at all compare with the extent of its commerce. New York is the Liverpool of America, as Liverpool is the New York of Europe.
- Liverpool Times 1852​