SkyscraperCity Forum banner
81 - 100 of 1,906 Posts
I live in Seaforth, a stones throw from the port. I wasn't asked! It's noisy there as it is. I'm a bit concerned about the extra amount of lorries and congestion on the few roads leading from the port. I'm sure they have justified it in their research first to get the green light. I will invest in some ear plugs in the meantime!

29/11 - Liverpool Daily Post / quick post

Port of Liverpool is ‘key to revival of Northern economy’ says IPPR report

by David Bartlett, The Liverpool Post

Nov 29 2012

TURNING Liverpool’s port into a national transport hub is key to boosting the economy of the North, according to a major new study.

The Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) North today launches a strategy for breaking down the North South divide.

The IPPR report claims that rebalancing the economy in favour of the North is vital to the future prosperity of the UK.

Just halving the output gap between the North and the national average would increase national income by £41bn.

Geoff Muirhead, chairman of the Northern Economic Futures Commission led by the IPPR, said: "In this, our final report, we have brought together a strategy for growth that can unlock much of the potential in the north of England which currently lies untapped.

“Now is the time to act decisively: to prevent our fiscal crisis from deepening, to set our local economies free to drive growth, and to give the North its voice on a national and global stage."

The report recommends a series of actions, and says the region needs a figurehead like London Mayor Boris Johnston to argue for a better deal.

It calls for an annual ‘N11’ Leaders’ Summit involving each of the 11 Local Enterprise Partnership areas in the North, headed up by a Northern ‘chair’ to serve for a period of four years.

2next
Read More http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk...ays-ippr-report-99623-32326045/#ixzz2DdBOh7Qo

Funding boost for 'Liverpool 2' plans

Development of the £300m 'Liverpool 2' container terminal has received a boost after Peel Ports completed a £1.6bn refinancing deal.

The funding has been raised from a variety of banks and private investors including £150m from the European Investment Bank, as revealed by Insider in July.

Graeme Charnock, chief financial officer of Peel Ports, said: "The strong support we have received from banks and investors is testament to their confidence in the future plans of the Peel Ports Group.

"We have refinanced our existing facilities, and created a diversified and flexible funding platform to support our growth strategy, which includes the development of the Liverpool2 container terminal."

Liverpool 2 will enable large 'post panamax' ships, those capable of accommodating two vessels of up to 13,500 TEU at a time, to dock at Port Seaforth.

The project, which is expected to create 5,000 new jobs, will consist of the construction of an in-river container terminal to handle these ships. Work is expected to start on the project next year and be completed by mid-2015.
Source: Insider Media

UK: Liverpool 2 development decision announced

The Marine Management Organisation (MMO) in the UK has announced that it has approved an application from Mersey Docks and Harbour Company Ltd (MDHC) for the £350 million Liverpool 2 development.

In September 2012 MDHC applied to the MMO for consent to carry out construction and dredging to create a 17-hectare deep water river terminal on the southern side of the Royal Seaforth Dock in the outer Mersey Estuary, known as Liverpool 2.

The purpose of the development is to provide facilities to accommodate post-Panamax container vessels in the Mersey.

The MMO granted approval on 12 December, 12 weeks after the application was submitted and within the MMO’s 13 week service standard for providing decisions on most licence applications.

In May 2007, the Secretary of State for Transport granted the Mersey Docks and Harbour Company (Seaforth River Terminal) Harbour Revision Order 2007 giving MDHC powers to construct the terminal.

It is estimated work will take up to two years to complete, with MDHC anticipating the new terminal may become operational in 2015. The potential benefits of the development, including job creation, are outlined in the Liverpool City Region Deal with government.
Source: Dredging News Online

Why do they need £1.6bn?
As I understand it, most big companies rely on debt, either from shareholders or from Banks/Investment Trusts, to finance their operations.
The loans come up for review every few years and I assume Peel have renegotiated these loans which will help finance every aspect of their business including the development of Liverpool 2.
The latter project will also include a sum of money borrowed from the European Investment Bank which normally loans cash to development projects within the EC and associate bodies, at favourable rates of interest.

most big companies rely on debt, either from shareholders or from Banks/Investment Trusts, to finance their operations.

The loans come up for review every few years and I assume Peel have renegotiated these loans which will help finance every aspect of their business including the development of Liverpool 2.
I hope so but this is a quite staggering number to me, didn't expect the Ports division solely to need that kind of credit facility but to be honest I haven't seen the Ports division financial figures so this may be very reasonable!

The CFO does explicitly say Ports division but we can't tell if that refers to the whole £1.6bn or not.

Eh time will tell, you're probably right and its just overall debt restructuring.

I hope so but this is a quite staggering number to me, didn't expect the Ports division solely to need that kind of credit facility but to be honest I haven't seen the Ports division financial figures so this may be very reasonable!

The CFO does explicitly say Ports division but we can't tell if that refers to the whole £1.6bn or not.

Eh time will tell, you're probably right and its just overall debt restructuring.
I recollect somewhere that ABP, the Uk's biggest port operator (owns Garston + 20 or so other ports) refinanced their debt earlier this year.
I think it was around £2.5b so the Peel refinancing is not too excessive in comparative terms

Can you give us some idea as to the size of these post-panamax vessels?

Let’s resort to the old standbys of football pitches and double-decker buses. The largest “post Panamax” vessel would be the equivalent of 4 football pitches long and one pitch-wide. If you prefer buses, it would be 47 double-deckers long, and taller than 14 buses. Altogether the largest vessel would hold 12,000 twenty foot containers!

I knew they were big but not that big.:shocked: ^^

I can't wait to be on Crosby Beach when one of these things come in.

From Liverpool Post :
SEFTON council will tonight consider a plan to include the region’s port and road infrastructures as part of a scheme costing 550 billion euros.

The Trans-European Transport Networks (TEN-T) are a planned set of road, rail, air and water transport networks across Europe.

In order to establish a single network that integrates land, sea and air transport networks throughout the EU, European policy-makers decided to establish TEN-T, allowing goods and people to circulate quickly and easily between countries.

The cost of EU infrastructure development to match the demand for transport has been estimated at over 1.5 trillion euros for 2010-2030 and Sefton councillors are keen that work surrounding Liverpool2 – the £300m extension of Seaforth’s container terminal – is included in any future TEN-T hand-outs.

In November 2012 TEN-T Executive Agency released a call for bids for the next round of TEN-T funding and it is felt that the work on the new terminal’s infrastructure falls well within the qualifying criteria to make a successful bid.

TEN-T funds are available to support transport infrastructure projects, particularly within the TEN-T Priority Project routes with Liverpool seen as one of these key areas.

Sefton council will also recommend that it acts as the accountable body for the bid on behalf of the Liverpool City Region.

At this stage the bid does not include any direct contribution from council funds.

The decision to bid for TEN-T funding comes after the establishment of a Port Access Steering Group given the task to deliver the recommendations in the Access to Port of Liverpool study.

The study provided a series of proposals for both short term and long term measures to improve access to the Port of Liverpool by water, rail and road transport.

The deadline for bid submissions has recently been extended to March 26, 2013.

Alan Lunt, Sefton council's Director of Built Environment, stated in the report: “A TEN-T bid offers a significant opportunity to obtain funding for a series of feasibility studies and options assessments that are essential for making progress on the developing port access work programme.”

Read More http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk...oad-growth-plan-99623-32894321/#ixzz2MErbRGC8

From Peel..

EXCLUSIVE: work on the Liverpool 2 in river container ship facility starts on 6th June 2013 and will be finished by 2015. It will create 350 new jobs. There will be 10 brand new dockside gantry cranes put in place. The river is nearing it's rebirth!
Obviously there's a nostalgic and cosmetic thrill to be had from seeing a bit of visible industrial hardware returning to the Mersey, which I kind of share, and of course 350 jobs are one or two peanuts better than nothing.

However, for what was the city's principal asset, indeed the city's entire raison d'etre, that figure of 350 is quite pathetic.
It demonstates just how little direct economic benefit remains from being a port city, asset-stripped for the few by the neoliberal "Grand Plan" of private-ownership with its itinerant labour and zero-hour contracts.

In lieu of the eventual kick-back, continued economic and civic degeneration and decline is guaranteed, the appearance of a new crane or two in the meantime being utterly meaningless.

81 - 100 of 1,906 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.