SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Myrtle Parade | Myrtle Street | 303 Student Flats/Retail | 4-8 Storeys

54K views 168 replies 38 participants last post by  flypie126 
#1 ·
Application gone in to demolish Myrtle Parade. It's for more student accomodation and some retail units ...but who cares can't be as bad as that ugly retail parade can it ?.

#33 ·
In some ways I'm sad to see this go. Used to love getting booze from the off license there, guaranteed to have reggae tunes playing so loud you could only communicate what you wanted by pointing. Chinese chippy on the corner was terrible, the people in the Oasis shop were a great laugh, we'd exchange a few Arabic words every now and then, never went to Eureka as the prices looked too much, but did have a delicious beef rendang in the Malaysian place that used to be there until not too long ago.

#35 ·
^^

Oddly I couldn't find the details on the Planning Explorer, even though they must be there somewhere. The article linked above however states the new development will be up to 8 storeys in height, comprised of student flats.

If anyone has a link to the application on the Planning Explorer, could they please post it so we can get the pertinent details, and then ask b4mmy to alter the thread title, and move this thread over to the construction forum. :)

#38 ·
L7 architects

From the architects website:

We’ve just recieved planning permission for our Myrtle Parade scheme to deliver a mixed use scheme to redevelop an under used shopping precinct as Student accommodation and ground floor commercial spaces

In February we undertook community consultation with local residents to address concerns over the future of the Parade and Myrtle street as a whole, the local community supported the redevelopment of the Parade and recognised the need for new development on the site and the surrounding landscape.

Our desire is to reinforce Myrtle Parade as a public space on Myrtle Street and strengthen it’s position as an important neighbourhood centre with a variety of businesses serving the local community.

This public space will seek to act as “A new space at the interface of the southern Campus and the Myrtle Street neighbourhood, well used by both the university members and the established local communities of Canning” and be served by new shop and café spaces provided along the new myrtle parade frontage.

To bring this about we’ve created a series of discreet units set out to create a high street rhythm to the parade, this new building combined with a new shared surface landscape scheme inspired by the outlines of the original terraced housing which occupied the site until the early 1900’s

To the south of the site we’ve worked hard to complete the domestic street on bedford close by removing the existing ‘back of store’ elevation and replacing it with an active street scene with homes facing directly onto the road. We hope this will add to the existing vibrant local community nature of this close by adding new life to the missing side of the street.

#57 · (Edited)
Moving to Wavertree Road I heard this morning, but I rarely venture into that part of town at the moment so not sure if this 100% true, when the move is or exactly where. Shame they won't be rehoused in the new development but I'm glad they are still in business.

Edit: Just spotted in the restaurant thread that it will be in the old Sandown pub on the High Street.

#45 ·
A few from me 8th November 2014, there a touch grainy, the light was failing the clocks had gone back so so not ideally for pics but gave it a go...

I took some on Saturday fence had being blown down good view of site, but it was quite dark, pics to follow...

The last days of the right hand side of Mrytle Parade

Myrtle Parade Development by Chris Jeff, on Flickr

#46 ·
Some good progress here. This is being done by a mobile crane however, so no addition for the crane count (boo!). In addition, the section of car park fronting Myrtle Street, in front of the other half of the shopping parade has been fenced off. I've no idea whether this indicates a start on the other half however -
https://flic.kr/p/qDoDES

https://flic.kr/p/qDnpWE

#48 ·
Was wondering the other day....what was there before Myrtle Parade ..I presume it was continuation of the Georgian shops further down...I guess that whole University district was a series of streets like Canning Street.....there doesn't seem a lot of pix on the internet of the demolition/construction of these buildings in the Sixties.

#49 ·
the 'georgian quarter' as it is perhaps unpopularly known here on ssc must've been a lot more extensive. am i right in thinking it used to go all the way up to smithdown road primary school, over the women's hospital? the crown street park are must've been a lot more remarkable.

#54 ·
I think you're right. I was approached by a chinese student on Hope Street fairly recently; she wanted to know when the NCH Capital development was going to be ready, and was it for students. I suggested she look at the recently completed Arch building on Duke Street, but she said that was " too far away from college". A lot of foreign students, it would seem, really want to be as close to the campus as possible, and as you say the area is becoming a mini- China Town in its own right. The chinese students tend not to return home during the holidays either.

#58 ·
#59 ·
Visited here 2 weeks ago there was hoarding up on the left hand side where the small car park was, I followed them around to Tescos there were signs stating the cafe's/restaurant are still open, You can walk around to these and walk through to Bedford Close, you can see that there is a site compound where the small car park used to be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.