SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Anfield | Anfield Road | Anfield Road End Expansion | Capacity 61,000 | U/C

1M views 5K replies 283 participants last post by  Bootle Sean 
#1 ·
:lol:

See less See more
#4 ·
#7 ·
am sorry but the new stadium won't be holding only 55,000 at all. i have it on good authority (by someone who is working on the new drainage system!) that the new capacity will be about 58,551 (subject to fluctuation)

consisting of:

Kop - 12,409 (Unchanged)
Centenary 11,762 (Unchanged)
Main Stand - 20,480
Anfield Road - 13,900

where Main Stand will consist of

Paddock and existing Main Stand:

bottom tier - 8,200
middle tier - 3,100 (including executive boxes)
top tier -7,540
Paddock - 1,640
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ield-redevelopment-before-end-of-season.html#

#9 ·
On another forum there's talk of filling in the corner between the Main Stand and Anfield Road Stand, taking the capacity to something like 64,000. Can't see the Centenary Stand being expanded, however, that probably could've been done if the club still owned those houses in Skerries Road, rather than refurbishing them, which appears to be a missed opportunity now:

As for the Kop, I sent this email to the reverend of the church:

I was just wondering if you would be kind enough to answer a question I have about the church and its future in regards to the various developments planned for the area? What I'd like to ask is whether or not the church will be moved in the future to another location in order for the football club to expand the Kop stand? Any info would be great.
This was his reply:

We have no plans to move Christ Church or the Vicarage next door to it in Hartnup St. As far as we are aware the club would extend side ways not across the road.

#14 · (Edited)
I'm not sure how that stadium is gonna look to be honest. Will the main stand be at a shallower angle than it is now? People at the top will be pretty far away from the pitch and the kop will be the smallest stand in the ground.
From what people who've seen the plans say, the current seated section of the Main Stand stays, with the old roof being removed. Two new tiers are added meaning the Main Stand becomes one huge three-tiered stand with a capacity over 20,000. The Anfield Road Stand sounds like it'll just be a bigger version of the current one. But you're right about the Kop, 'cause that's going to look tiny up against these new structures.

In an ideal world the Kop would have the ability to be expanded to 17,000 or slightly more, and have some sort of plaza in front of it. The Centenary Stand would be able to expand by another 8,000 or so, taking the overall capacity with the two other redeveloped stands to over 70,000. FSG will never want that because the key here is to expand, but only expand enough so there's still a high demand for tickets, which means they can continue with their already high ticket prices.

#16 ·
Based on those indicative drawings, it sounds a little like the stadium will end up being like St. James's Park (Sports Direct Arena? No, just, no), in Newcastle, where two of the stands are significantly larger, and more imposing than the other two - http://binged.it/1fEOiTu
I actually did a quick mock-up of that in the past.

If the club still owned the houses in Skerries Road, and that road was indeed in a similar state to how Lothair Road currently is, then I imagine the houses in Skerries Road would've also been demolished. Even if the club didn't opt to expand the Centenary Stand at this stage, it would've given them the easy option to do so in the future. Oh well.

#17 ·
I actually did a quick mock-up of that in the past.

If the club still owned the houses in Skerries Road, and that road was indeed in a similar state to how Lothair Road currently is, then I imagine the houses in Skerries Road would've also been demolished. Even if the club didn't opt to expand the Centenary Stand at this stage, it would've given them the easy option to do so in the future. Oh well.

What seems obvious from that picture is that the club/council are missing an opportunity to redirect Walton Breck Road (say through a crescent behind the Kop) to create room for a potential future expansion and easier circulation of large crowds. Most of the properties immediately south of that road are either boarded up or easily removed so that part of the road could easily be pushed back 150-200 feet without a great deal of trouble.

Still overall, an exciting plan for the area.

#19 ·
Council begin month-long consultation on Anfield’s £260m regeneration

Town Hall chiefs today launched a month-long consultation on Anfield ’s £260m regeneration.

Last week council bosses responded to delays by insisting plans wouldn’t be "held to ransom" by the owners of four homes standing in the way of the scheme.

And today the latest step was given the green light by the cabinet, opening the door for residents and business owners to air their opinions on the specifics of the planned development.

The Anfield Spatial Regeneration Framework, which spells out how the area will be improved and up to 700 jobs could be created, will then be re-submitted for final approval in April once local opinions have been taken into account.

Cabinet member for housing Ann O’Byrne said this would be seen as another step toward turning around north Liverpool’s fortunes.

She said: “The whole of Anfield suffered because of the fall of housing market renewal and the dramatic loss of money that left the whole area in a state of limbo.

“But when I talk to residents now they’re absolutely delighted they can see the future is now looking brighter and they’re happy with the progress we are making.”

The council said 80% of 1,700 residents surveyed approved of the new scheme for Anfield it had proposed alongside Your Housing Group and Liverpool Football Club among others.

Within the scheme the club still aims to finalise its long-standing plans for expanding Anfield stadium by 2018 – the same year the council said it hoped the wider Anfield development would be complete.

The Spatial Regeneration Framework that was today approved means planning applications and ideas for other improvements can now progress, with a view to their inclusion in the plans, the council said.

If two private owners of four homes in the area who are continuing to resist the development refuse to sell their homes, Joe Anderson has said compulsory purchase orders will be used to make sure the plans go ahead.

Sixty-seven houses in Lothair Road and Rockfield Road have already been bought up by either the club, the council or housing association Your Housing, but the mayor said if reasonable terms couldn’t be agreed then deals would be forced through.

However, this process could itself be delayed if objections to the CPOs were received, or if Communities Secretary Eric Pickles, who has regularly clashed with the mayor in the past, called in the decision over questions of whether or not the purchase orders were in the public interest.

Negotiations with owners over sales are expected to continue until the end of February, but if no agreement has been reached by then it is understood Compulsory Purchase Orders will be drawn up.