SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Aldi/M&S Simply Food/MSDP | Queens Drive | Retail/Deaf Society Building

15K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  L12Red 
#1 ·
This is a thread for the re-development of the existing Merseyside Society for Deaf People site on Queens Drive near the Jolly Miller. The site is currently primarily occupied by a former school, home to the Merseyside Society for Deaf People. The school is far too large for the MSDP, and its age means maintenance is a drain on resources.

The plans call for the demolition of the existing building, and the construction of a new, purpose-built facility for the MSDP, near to the existing Premier Inn/Stag & Rainbow on the other side of the site. To enable the construction of this, the remainder of the space will be used to house a 16,500sq. ft. Aldi, and a 9,000sq. ft. M&S Simply Food. The development is costed at £7m, and is expected to create up to 100 jobs.

From an Echo article on the development, here's an render of the finished scheme -

Copyright to the copyright holder. Shown here for information purposes only.

This is what the site looked like last year, and currently looks like -

As I passed by earlier, I noticed the access to the MSDP part of the site, just off to the right of the above, has now been blocked to prevent parking, so presumably the MSDP have now moved out, and this one is just about to get underway.

See less See more
#35 ·
So what has happened to them? Presumably they moved to what was envisaged to be a temporary home during the construction works. Are they going to continue from there, wherever it is? I also wonder about the financial arrangements. It was their site, now it isn't at all, so you would assume some money should be going their way, if it hasn't already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.