SkyscraperCity Forum banner

One Wolstenholme Square | Apartments/Mixed Use | 10 Storeys

277K views 1K replies 107 participants last post by  kkapo18 
#1 ·
#221 ·
Nightlife hasn't died out in Liverpool in 800 years, from when sword fights between meaded-up gangs of the Stanleys' and the Moleneux's men would spill into the road from the taverns of Castle Street to now when there must be more licensed premises in the city centre than there has been for decades. So put your fears to rest there.

And Liverpool isn't a small city. It is a large one and one with hundreds of acres of derelict land and run down areas to be improved before we run out of places to be 'gentrified'. This wouldn't happen in our lifetimes even if Liverpool was on the uptick, which right now isn't. We should be thankful of what little development and improvement we are seeing, from this revitalisation of a currently bleak and ruined square to the larger project that the Kazimier folk are bringing about among several square miles of mostly empty former dock and industrial land a few miles north. The latter being a development we would probably have not seen if they had not been prompted by their earlier, and always temporary, home in the old Conti being developed.

And if you had met people who had travelled some distance to a gig or the event at the Kaz it was because they had travelled to that event for that event, not to the Kazimier itself as the attraction. And even if people had heard of it, that is not what you had claimed, you had claimed it as an 'icon'. It was great but in fact during its short life it was little known outside of a tight circle of groovy types even in Liverpool. Cream could have been called an icon but if it and its residency in Nation were one and the same as you assert then that means that it ceased existing over ten years ago.

#223 ·
Well if thats your view most venues in the world that are famous aren't famous because of what they are themselves, but just the nights they accommodate? It simply wasn't just what you define it as, in its short life it became one of the most well known venues in Liverpool and brought a lot to the city, not just known in a tight circle.

Do you not think its a shame to loose these two venues what so ever? The amount of places like The Kazimier and Cream left in Liverpool isn't very large, the Baltic Triangle could soon be on a down turn due to developments there and noise complaints etc, so I would certainly not be surprised if in my life time the amount of good quality venues for creatives to take over could fall dramatically.

It's sad watching this happen, we look back on venues that have closed over the years and people moan and complain that they're gone, lets stop doing it then?

#225 ·
Inspired creative projects of every sort inevitably reach a natural conclusion after a time. The transition point can be a time of uncertainty & limbo; but I'm sure new creative projects will come along; new club nights; new venues. Some times it's good to quit on a high.

#229 ·
Without reading it i can tell you the two main driving forces to the retrenchment of nightclubs.

1. changes to licensing laws. Bars can open all night now, so no need or the 2 a.m. chucking out period where those wishing to continue their night had no other choices.

This led to..

2. Changed drug habits. No longer were people able to get away with being on pills in a club for 4 hours or more. Bars are much more oriented around talking than dancing, even those with dancefloors. This meant people could not stand gurning or chilling out on the floor/going mental to some music. People needed a different crutch. Not to get them dancing, but to keep them talking and being "confident/funny".

Bingo. The perfect breeding ground for cocaine.

#234 ·
I see no reason why Wolstenholme Square can't be like the area around London's Fabric. Thats a great place to hang out around with decent pubs, bars, and a nice relaxed atmosphere.

I hope that the new nightclub is of a similar standard if not better than Fabric. Why not aim for the best club in the world even??? There are a lot of local experts such as James Barton, and Yousef (who tours the worlds clubs as an international DJ), working in the dance music industry, who will know what is required on that front.

I love Fabric in London. It's got multiple rooms so different music can be put on. It is clean, while at the same time kind of industrial/meat packing district style design with bare brick walls and nice touches such as aluminium fittings. The security is excellent. The toilets are as clean and well maintained as a club toilet room can be. In general you get treated really well when you are in there and I never see any bother.

It can be done up here, it just needs great design....and as i've said elsewhere in this thread that requires Cream to be involved in the design from start to finish. You can't just build any old shaped room and shove a Funktion 1 sound system in there and expect the acoustics to be spot on. You have to think of the flow of people and how people in large numbers will move from room to room.

A builder/architect will not necessarily understand how a club with 3 rooms could create an emergency situation if two of the rooms are underground house, and the main room has Tiesto/Fatboy Slim/David Guetta DJ'ing in, and 1,500 kids all try and get into that main room at the same time. The flow and movement of people needs to be properly considered.

Escape points as well need considering. Say what you want about the old Nation/Cream, but the massive backdoors of that Courtyard opened up to allow emergency services access and had there been a fire/emergency people could have easily fled.

#235 ·
I agree with Davey Bada$$, theres no reason why Liverpool now can't cease this opportunity and build a purpose built club that operates regular nights. Yes nightlife is different but the gap in the market is still there.

The North has an abundance of excellent club nights which operate in various venues but I think if this new venue followed in the footprints of Fabric or XOYO It could be very exciting for the city.

It needs to be properly designed and sound engineers and Cream need to be involved from the off as to many places in the city now just knock together a DJ booth and throw in a Funktion 1 sound system and then think all problems solved. Anyway, I'm very much for a new purpose built club that hopefully expands from a weekly student night and 3 major events a year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.