SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Epic Aparthotel Extension | 11-13 Wolstenholme Square/67-73 Duke Street | Serviced Apartments/Retail

23K views 87 replies 30 participants last post by  Pietari 
#1 ·
#15 · (Edited)
Riddle solved, I think...

I was puzzled why the scaffolding stopped short on the 11-13 Wolstenholme Sq site, on looking at the adjacent Lady Mia site it appears to be part of that project........

Red: 14F/1717.... 11-13 Wolstenholme Sq / 67-73 Duke St. [Tunnage Sq]
Green: Lady Mia, 14 Wolstenholme Sq / 65 Duke St.. 15F/0091 [5 storey] or 15F/2579 [8 storey]
Yellow: 15F/1309 Frenson Scheme to CCP car park

I think the 5 storey Lady Mia scheme is more appropriate when viewed from both the Square and even more so from Duke Street....

The 8 storey block would tower over and dwarf the 2 storey Frenson project.

#6 ·
Nice. That pink building appears particularly pleased with itself, judging by the expression on it's face.

Surprised people didn't object to the loss of the building on the left though. After all, that's where people used to pick up their VIP tickets for Cream. That's heritage that is.

#22 ·
That filled in archway looks a little off, for some reason. I'll probably acclimatise to it though. I think it's that uppermost lip sticking out across teh top of teh arch and the bright red brick along the left hand side.

Also, that sticky out wall adjacent to the next plot needs to go.

Overall though, for that that like this type of building, they have done pretty well.

#25 ·
This much altered Georgian property retains some of its original windows from the 1760s, which are in fact the oldest surviving sash windows in the city. The building isn't listed but after discussions with the council's Design and Conservation team the developer, fortunately, agreed to keep the original windows. I managed to get some photos of the interior of the building including the windows(with their panelled reveals) just as conversion work had begun back in Feb.

I wasn't able to view the interior on my visit last week but I'm confident the windows survive intact and it looks to be another fine restoration/conversion job by a local company following Seel St Estates' work on Seel St and the watchmaker's building. :cheers:

Some photos from last week.

These are the windows original to the building. The frames are almost flush with the exterior of the building. The other windows are Victorian and are recessed in from the facade.

#26 ·
GV, I was told that the detailing around the opening on the right was a new addition. Is this the case? It looks great.

Who’d have thought that such a dilapidated building would have been brought back to life. I love just how much restoration has been going on in the Ropewalks of late.

#28 ·
Hope these places will get good ground floor occupiers. Some outdoor seating would work wonders there and complement what will be built on the other three sides of the square. I even think that these developments will push the notoriously slow Frenson's into developing the adjacent car park. I really like their plans for that building and hope it comes off.

#32 ·
Apologies if this is the wrong thread and I'm also behind the curve on this one, just driven past the hoardings on Duke St where the cut through used to be, and noticed that they're now advertising an epic aparthotel to open early 2017,didn't realise they had a place in this development?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.