SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Baltic Gardens | Great George Street | Apartments/Commercial/Offices/Hotel/Linear Park | 18 Storeys | Proposed

342K views 1K replies 171 participants last post by  CGV11 
#1 ·
GGSD Development | Former New Chinatown | Great George Street | Apartments/Commercial Space/Linear Park

Nice :)

http://www.propertyweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=297&storycode=3106308&c=1

Urban Splash unveils Liverpool’s biggest ever residential scheme

Urban Splash has today released details of its plans to develop Liverpool’s largest ever residential scheme.

The 706-homes mixed-use development at Great George Street, next to the fourth largest cathedral in the world, will be known as Tribeca, it was announced.

What’s in a name

Urban Splash said the name has been derived by combining the words ‘triangles beneath cathedral’ – because the site is separated into three triangles.

It also shares its name with downtown New York neighbourhood Tribeca.

The scheme will also include 80,000 sq ft of office and retail space, a new hotel, two acres of public space, an acre of private gardens, shops, underground parking and a crèche.

Quartet of architects

Four architects were appointed on the scheme: Liverpool’s shedkm, Riches Hawley Mikhail and Alison Brooks Architects, both based in London, and Austrian architects Querkraft.

shedkm is masterplanning the scheme and has designed two apartment buildings for the scheme containing 230 apartments.

Riches Hawley Mikhail is designing 15 family homes at Tribeca while Alison Brooks is working on three tall commercial and residential buildings.

Querkraft is designing a range of buildings including office space, apartments, the hotel and the public realm.

Tribeca’s phased development is expected to take eight years with the first apartments up for sale next year. Work will start on site in Spring this year.

See less See more
#124 ·
#125 ·
So it appears Urban Splash want to complete the scheme. Good news, if they can. There's little reason to doubt their intention. They have a good track record overall. Not sure the main scheme will see the light of day for a good few years yet though and there's always that strange Chinese investor/ghost skulking about. Unless of course this new application indicates U/S have fought them off and feel confident enough in their ownership of the site to progress this first phase.

#126 ·
Don't want to p on anyone's chips here. But basically the funding for the houses comes from a. Bid for govt cash not Urban Splash. The bad news is that the alternative Chinese proposals didn't stack up so we are left with Urban Splash a company a shell of it's former self....don't believe they have the funds to develop such a big site. So they will look at either sell on and in the mean time expect a planning application to turn this into a temporary car park. The present application asks for a further leeway of three years for development ...So we will have an important gateway site left empty for the foreseeable future with no council strategy to get it developed. Time now to bring another company on board with a fresh strategy now the market is picking up.

#130 ·
Hmmm more houses in the city centre. Just what a city that wants and needs to grow needs! Still, at least they're townhouses and not suburban crap. They're still ugly as sin though and most likely bottom of the ladder junk :eek:hno:

I draw a basic master plan for this area a few months back - http://oi43.tinypic.com/mt895y.jpg
The blue lines are Glasgow style family apartments with 2/3/4 bedrooms and spacious dimensions. And with internal gardens and car parking and ground level commercial. Baltic Creative would be hugely expanded with new office buildings and retail/bars/clubs etc. The red "Exhibition Centre 2" is pretty self explanatory - land reservation for a future expansion.

#131 ·
You should get into Sketchup and then later cinema 4D to start visualising these plans. At least progress to photoshop, it will help better to communicate your designs and its much more fun to create with these types of software.

I agree there has to be a policy of urban up scaling and density. Even from a heritage point of view there is no excuse to not build up if you compare to the density that once filled this messy section of the city centre.

I still think there should be a large parisian avenue through the entire area from Wapping warehouse to the Anglican cathedral that would unlock the area, allow us to demolish the insular and low quality student housing at the foot of the cathedral and give the whole baltic triangle a central focus and new access.

#136 ·
From today's Echo -

£1.5m Liverpool Tribeca Duncan Street housing development work begins

Work has started on a housing project which will revive part of a stalled scheme originally designed to create a new gateway to Liverpool.

Liverpool Mutual Homes’(LMH) £1.5m development to build 12 homes in Duncan Street is part of the Tribeca scheme in the shadow of Liverpool Cathedral.

The road and surrounding streets were once earmarked for a £100m development.

In 2008 Urban Splash launched plans for the Tribeca scheme, which had the Wedding House at one end and The Black-E at the other.

It was set to be the biggest housing project ever to be created in Liverpool by a single developer and create a striking new gateway to the city, incorporating shops, businesses, a hotel and 740 apartments and houses.
Article continues at - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/15m-liverpool-tribeca-duncan-street-8558436

#146 ·
The people who will be re-housed in these will not think of them in that way, I'm sure. And the city council is not building them; a housing association is......
The City Council is not in a position to turn down legitimate planning applications, whether we like it or not. And in some respects these are better than what is already there. Nothing special is being demolished or compromised in order to make way for them. Unlike some other developments around the city.

If this was Westminster there would be no social housing.

#143 ·
Basically the wider TriBeca scheme is moribund ....Urban Splash hasn't got the funds to carry out the scheme. They have applied to turn the site into a temporary car park to generate funds until the market picks up.....which translates as it's got no chance but we'll earn some pin money until we get a big offer for the land. One of the pre conditions was that the social housing part of the wider scheme get built....this was intended to house the last residents of the walk up flats...they were offered three story homes but from memory they turned that proposal down cos they wanted more traditional homes. My guess is a planning application will soon appear to implement a temporary surface car park.....if they get permission it will really be a disgrace ...it's time the city took co-ordinated action to get developers who can't deliver off site ...let's start with this area, the Garden Festival site and the site of the Old Kingston House ...oh yes and the eyesore car park on Duke Street.

#144 ·
you are asking for some sort of development corporation then, an authority which could be public or a public&private enterprise with regional, central and european funds as well as having a construction company plus a financial society on board with a medium to long term investment plan in the city, specifically targeting any problem site

#145 ·
Think we are talking about trying to line up other developers and then CPO ....the reality is Langtree are sitting on the Garden Festival site .....which is probably the biggest bit of prime housing land available in the city at a time when the city's housing market is doing well...witness how many half a million pound gaffs have been sold on the old New Heys site. At the very least no permissions for car parking should be given as stage one of cranking up the pressure on developers to develop.

#151 ·
#153 ·
It is! But The Western Addition is a very mixed neighbourhood; which you'll know if you've visited. We stayed in one of the painted victorians - on Steiner Street - and it was just a fairly short walk into the civic centre from there - past lots of social housing - some of it not too dissimilar to what has been proposed here. Those 10 houses proposed for 'Tribeca' are not on a major thoroughfare; so I don't think there is too much to get upset by. I'll try and get down to get some photos of what is currently there.

#159 ·
It's almost 20yrs since I was last there tbh, but it was my home port for over 5 yrs and I was there for a few days every few weeks, and had numerous extended stays waiting to join ships too.

My feelings regarding this area is that prior to the 60's it was full of 3-4 storey georgian and victorian terraces and quite densely populated. I think this a very important area as it nudges up against the rope walks and Liverpool 1, and is to all intents and purposes far more a part of the downtown area than what we now call the Georgian quarter. Unfortunately because it was downgraded as an area by poor post war development, and its high streets lost, it has been allowed to decay to nothing when Great George Street and St James St should be major thoroughfarees lined with tall buildings with residential infill in the form of tall town houses and apartment blocks.

#154 ·
I took a look at the site of the housing development earlier. It is in Duncan Street:

You can see the hoardings for the development here - as viewed from up by Great George Street:

...and looking down Duncan Street:

The site itself is quite small really:

It faces this modern housing block:

...and off Duncan Street is this block which is mostly tinned up but which does have a couple of residents left in it ( I'm imagining this would be demolished on completion of the new houses?):

...and these inhabited homes:

...and this cul-de-sac:

The remaining 'Tribeca' site is still quite large:

#155 ·
Your pictures show why this area needs a comprehensive master plan.....edge of town, edge of Georgian quarter, views across to Cathedral, next to up and coming Baltic .....really with a bit of vision and good design this area could be really popular....whatever happened to those developers who said they had big plans backed by Chinese money if Urban Splash moved aside.