daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » completed | under construction | proposed | demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 20th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #3001
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 1072

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post

Cal is among those schools that is a major enigma to me. They, along with Illinois and Maryland have the most underperforming programs and some very underwhelming support considering the sizes of the schools, their states and their supposed ambitions. I realize it's hard to live alongside USC and UCLA, but Cal's a great school with strong political support and huge #'s of alumni. You'd think they'd do more than play second fiddle in popularity to Stanford Prep!
My daughter is a Cal grad class of 2011. That school is very cerebral. They should sell out every game if one considers how many Cal grads live in the SF Bay area.

Oh by the way.. My daughter earned a 4.0 average while at Cal.

I am what I am..

Big Daddy Popeye US Navy/retired
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 20th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #3002
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post

My daughter is a Cal grad class of 2011. That school is very cerebral. They should sell out every game if one considers how many Cal grads live in the SF Bay area.

Oh by the way.. My daughter earned a 4.0 average while at Cal.
Holy Toledo, Popeye! That's quite a kid to be proud of, meaning a not so shabby job of parenting yourself. Bravo, sir.

As to the inference of Cal's mindset I definitely get it. GT is very similar in that regard.
Old October 21st, 2014, 01:12 AM   #3003
Fabio1976

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrybai View Post
First 8 games

Atletico 65,000 and 55,973
Northeast 29,500, 25,530 ad 30,870
Mumbai 28,000
Goa 16,652
Dehli 16,500

Average - 30,036
Great attendances. I am curious to see tomorrow the attendance in Chennai. And I hope that next year there will be also Bengaluru and Hyderabad.
Fabio1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 01:51 AM   #3004
weava
Construction Code Expert

Likes (Received): 344

Quote:

Cal is among those schools that is a major enigma to me. They, along with Illinois and Maryland have the most underperforming programs and some very underwhelming support considering the sizes of the schools, their states and their supposed ambitions. I realize it's hard to live alongside USC and UCLA, but Cal's a great school with strong political support and huge #'s of alumni. You'd think they'd do more than play second fiddle in popularity to Stanford Prep!
The Bay area is the only metro to have 2 NFL and 2 BCS football teams. Nowhere else in the country has 4 major football teams in a single metro area.

NYC is the only city even somewhat comparable with Uconn and Rutgers not too far away but they don't draw big numbers either.
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 02:31 AM   #3005
poguemahone

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Gazmon View Post
Australia A-League

Round 2

Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory - 33,126

Central Coast Mariners v Wellington Phoenix - 7,237

Sydney FC v Western Sydney Wanderers - 41,213 *Record venue regular season game crowd

Melbourne City FC v Newcastle Jets - 15,717 *Record non-Melbourne derby home crowd

Perth Glory v Brisbane Roar - 8,789

Weekly Total - 106,082 *Record

Weekly Average - 21,216

Season to date Total - 196,095

Season Average -19,610
2014/15 Total: 196,095
2014/15 Average: 19,610
2013/14 Average: 13,045

2014/15 Average Attendance by Club
Sydney FC - 33,369 (2)
Adelaide - 33,126 (1)
Melbourne Victory - 30,083 (1)
Brisbane - 16,195 (1)
Melbourne City - 15,717 (1)
Central Coast - 8,840 (2)
Perth - 8,789 (1)
Wellington - 7,767 (1)
Newcastle - N/A
Western Sydney - N/A

Wezza liked this post
poguemahone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 02:45 AM   #3006
bd popeye

Off topic

Quote:
Holy Toledo, Popeye! That's quite a kid to be proud of, meaning a not so shabby job of parenting yourself. Bravo, sir.

As to the inference of Cal's mindset I definitely get it. GT is very similar in that regard.
Off topic proud papa rant..

My daughter earned straight A's since she was in the 5th grade. She did get a B+ in the 9th grade and cried.

She can speak English, Spanish and Tagalog(Filipino)

She is currently a bi-lingual after-school program teacher with a large school district in Southern California.

When she graduated from Cal she had earned special adulation from the Filipino student Union.

END Off topic.

I am what I am..

LosAngelesSportsFan liked this post
Old October 21st, 2014, 03:21 AM   #3007
5portsF4n

Likes (Received): 327

Quote:
Pair of former Arsenal greats (Llundberg and Pires) plying their trade out there. Surprising to see only 8 teams in the fold. I realize footie is not their main sport but given the nation's size you'd think they could begin with 12-16 teams.

Edit: Just saw that this is the second league to start up in 7 years, so India has it's own version of an MLS-NASL-USL political row brewing. Joy!
Just for reference, the Indian Premier League (cricket) has 8 teams and is going into its 8th season in 2015. Some teams in that league have already folded or relocated. If the IPL still only has 8 teams, I don't think soccer has any reason to go higher. The ISL is a veritable carbon copy of the IPL in how it plans to carry out its business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio1976 View Post
Great attendances. I am curious to see tomorrow the attendance in Chennai. And I hope that next year there will be also Bengaluru and Hyderabad.
I don't see expansion happening for a long time. As indicated above, I suspect they will follow the trajectory of their cricketing counterparts. Overall though it's been a great start as you say.
5portsF4n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 03:46 AM   #3008
weava
Construction Code Expert

Likes (Received): 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5portsF4n View Post
Just for reference, the Indian Premier League (cricket) has 8 teams and is going into its 8th season in 2015. Some teams in that league have already folded or relocated. If the IPL still only has 8 teams, I don't think soccer has any reason to go higher. The ISL is a veritable carbon copy of the IPL in how it plans to carry out its business.

I don't see expansion happening for a long time. As indicated above, I suspect they will follow the trajectory of their cricketing counterparts. Overall though it's been a great start as you say.
The Elite Football League of India (American Football) also has 8 teams, that seems to be their number. 2 of those teams aren't in India though (1 in Pakistan, 1 in Sri Lanka)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2...f_India_season

Kerrybai liked this post
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 10:55 AM   #3009
CharlieP

Likes (Received): 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5portsF4n View Post
Not quite.
Ah. OK then, in terms of city size and distance, it's more equivalent to Leicester City hosting Arsenal at Wembley.
Old October 21st, 2014, 01:44 PM   #3010
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 3495

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
In terms of town population and distance, Lens hosting PSG at the Stade de France is roughly equivalent to Yeovil hosting Arsenal at Wembley.
As pointed out by others the urban area Lens is part of is quite large (508k as of 2011), but even so Lens is the most impressive club in terms of support when relating their attendances to the city population, as it is the only major French club coming close to the 10% that some consider the benchmark for a thriving league.

There is also the phenomenon of small town clubs that draw their attendances (sometimes larger than the town itself) from the region, like it is with Guingamp for example.

What you describe has happened recently, though, when Red Star Saint-Ouen hosted Marseille at the SdF in the Cup, filling the first two tiers (the attendance was either 50k or 60k, can't remember). Red Star is a one of the three historical parisian clubs (the other two being Racing and Stade Francais). It's the only one that is still going professionally - it plays in the third division in the small suburb of Saint-Ouen in front of attendances of around 2, sometimes 3 thousand people.
alexandru.mircea está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 03:18 PM   #3011
CharlieP

Likes (Received): 517

It's more the distance that I can't get my head around. In rugby, Saracens have successfully staged home games at Wembley, as have Harlequins and Wasps at Twickenham, and Stade Francais (and possibly Racing Métro) at SdF and Toulon at Stade Vélodrome. But this is a case of a club moving its home match about 100 km to its larger rival's city. Is this popular with the Lens fans?
Old October 21st, 2014, 04:54 PM   #3012
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 3495

With the exception of the PSG, OM and Lille matches they host at the SdF, Lens are playing their home matches in Amiens, which is about 75 minutes away by car. There's no direct train but you can get there with one change, one hour worth of actual travel. I don't know if the club has tried to reach a deal with Valenciennes instead, who now play in L2 - this city is closer and the stadium is better and larger. I doubt the fans are happy not to play at home in their comeback season, but on the other hand I think they don't reject the refurbishment of their own stadium either.
alexandru.mircea está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 06:50 PM   #3013
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
The Bay area is the only metro to have 2 NFL and 2 BCS football teams. Nowhere else in the country has 4 major football teams in a single metro area.
True. Even though when you add in Sac-Town it's a very large population that is tough to compete with two notable NFL franchises, even if one of them is in the doldrums. As a GT fan I can certainly relate to that phenomena. At least Cal has about 3x the student body and lots of alumni in the metro area, so when they're winning they can be real big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poguemahone View Post
2014/15 Total: 196,095
2014/15 Average: 19,610
2013/14 Average: 13,045
Strong early showing by the A-League. Let's see if they can join MLS above the 19k threshold for the season.
Old Yesterday, 01:15 AM   #3014
poguemahone

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
True. Even though when you add in Sac-Town it's a very large population that is tough to compete with two notable NFL franchises, even if one of them is in the doldrums. As a GT fan I can certainly relate to that phenomena. At least Cal has about 3x the student body and lots of alumni in the metro area, so when they're winning they can be real big.

Strong early showing by the A-League. Let's see if they can join MLS above the 19k threshold for the season.
It will be on a downwards spiral after this weekend. The Melbourne Derby on Saturday is expected to have a crowd of about 47,000 but in the coming weeks teams like Perth, Wellington, Central Coast and even Newcastle and Adelaide to an extent will bring it right down. I'd say the final season average attendance will be about 14,000 hopefully.
poguemahone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:19 AM   #3015
Kerrybai
Erin go bragh

Likes (Received): 166

Uefa Champions league Matchday 3:
Barcelona - Ajax 79,357
Roma - Bayern Munich 70,544
Schalke - Sporting CP 49,943
Liverpool - Real Madrid 43,521
Chelsea - Maribor 41,126
Porto -Athletic Bilbao 38,116
Galatasary Borussia Dortmund 36,324
Atletico Madrid - Malmo FF 34,502
Olympiacos - Juventus 31,411
Ludogorets Razgrad - Basel 29,150
Bayer Leverkusen - Zenit Saint Petersburg 27,254
Anderlecht - Arsenal 19,881
Apoel Nicosia - PSG 18,659
Monaco - Benfica 12,776
BATE Borisov - Shaktar Donetsk 12,113
CSKA - Moscow 0 (Match played behind closed doors)
Kerrybai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:45 PM   #3016
bd popeye

Excellent article about the increase in attendance in the Major Soccer League.

MLS set to break season attendance record

I am what I am..