daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > KiwiScrapers > Christchurch

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #1
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Likes (Received): 11

2018 COMMONWEALTH GAMES BID | Proposed

Like the Rugby World Cup NZ that Auckland will host - this is a major potential sporting event for NZ and I think it deserves it's own thread.

This could be a big thing or a dead duck in the water very quickly. Whatever the outcome it is exciting for NZ and Christchurch so let Kiwiscrapers be in on it from the very begining.

What I'll do is copy the articles that Kane and Mo Rush got so quickly onto the thread sites.......and let's take it from there.

Remember: Christchurch has hosted the Commonwealth games once before, and Auckland has had them twice before - so we know that NZ can do it - but could it happen again?

"Fide Condita, Fructu Beata, Spe Fortis"
"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City

Last edited by Davee; January 30th, 2007 at 09:22 AM.
Davee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 30th, 2007, 01:29 AM   #2
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Thanks for this Kane.

The Press 2007/01/30

A Christchurch group is investigating bidding for the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

The group, which formed an incorporated society last year, includes Neil Blanchfield, who has organised several sporting events in Christchurch, including the Golden Oldies rugby tournament.

Blanchfield, and John Filsell, the Christchurch City Council's manager of recreation and sport, will meet New Zealand Olympic Committee (NZOC) members and the events division of Sport and Recreation New Zealand (Sparc) in Wellington on Thursday to learn more about what is required by the London-based Commonwealth Games Federation for a bid.

Filsell said yesterday that the group wrote to former city council chief executive Lesley McTurk last year, asking the council's opinion on a bid.

"Dr McTurk replied saying the council had a long history in sports events and that it would work with any stakeholders to establish if a bid was feasible," he said.

"She also said a significant central government contribution would be essential for the Games to come to Christchurch.

"Thursday's meeting will explore the options surrounding a bid. After that, my next port of call would be reporting back to stakeholders and the council's Creating Stronger Communities group.

"If they decided to go any further, it would then have to go before the council for guidance on how to proceed. It's at a very early stage, with no commitments."

He said no-one at the council had looked at what venues would be required.

"That's the sort of information we would discuss on Thursday," he said.

"Others things to ask will be, is it at all feasible? What are the costs involved? What are the venue requirements? What infrastructure does a city need? Are our transport, accommodation and volunteer networks big enough? How does central government feel about New Zealand making a bid?

"If we tick the boxes on these questions and present the information to the council, it's up to them to give a steer on whether to proceed further or say it's out of our league."

Although the Games are 11 years away, the bid will have to be made in the next four years. The 2018 Games will probably be awarded in 2011.

The 2014 Games will be allocated by the Commonwealth Games Federation at a meeting in Sri Lanka in November.

Christchurch held the Games in 1974 and, in a rarity for the Games, made a profit of $1.3 million. The size of the Games have burgeoned since then.

In 1974 there were 10 sports and 1276 competitors, but competitor numbers exploded when team sports were introduced at the 1998 Kuala Lumpur Games and the number of sports was expanded to a maximum 17.

NZOC secretary-general Barry Maister said the Games were "right on the fringe for New Zealand".

"There would need to be a greater appetite for government support for an event this large," he said.

"I don't want to knock anyone's enthusiasm and I'd love to see the Games in New Zealand, but it's a big ask.

"I'm mindful of what's going on at the moment with the three cities who are bidding for 2014. The literature and glossy publications we are getting, plus invitations to visit their countries, all expenses paid, to see their facilities gives an indication of the costs of staging the whole thing.

"The cost of bidding alone is large, and India has raised the bar in terms of subsidies to athletes. You could argue that's part of getting the Games, but it's set a bar and I'm sure the ones in 2014 won't be able to match it. The NZOC's view is we would love to have a Comm Games and we'll support anyone who wants to put their hand up."

A feasibility study on New Zealand again hosting the Games was done last year by Sir Ron Scott, the chairman of the 1974 Games organising committee. The study concluded the Games were out of New Zealand's reach, but Maister said Sparc, which commissioned the study, wanted more information.

"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Old January 30th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #3
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Thanks for this Mo Rush.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Christchurch New Zealand Considers 2018 Commonwealth Games Bid
Posted 12:14 pm ET (GamesBids.com)

A Christchurch group is looking into bidding for the 2018 Commonwealth Games and formed an incorporated society last year.

Members of the group will meet with New Zealand Olympic Committee (NZOC) members and the events division of Sport and Recreation New Zealand in Wellington Thursday to learn more about what is required by the Commonwealth Games Federation to bid for the Games.

John Filsell, Christchurch City Council manager of recreation and sport said, “Thursday’s meeting will explore the options surrounding a bid. After that my next port of call would be reporting back to stakeholders and the council’s Creating Stronger Communities group. If they decided to go any further it would then have to go before the council for guidance on how to proceed. It’s at a very early stage with no commitments”.

Christchurch held the Games in 1974.

NZOC secretary general Barry Maister said the Games were “right on the fringe for New Zealand. There would need to be a greater appetite for government support for an event this large”.

He added, “I don’t want to knock anyone’s enthusiasm and I’d love to see the Games in New Zealand but it’s a big ask. I’m mindful of what’s going on at the moment with the three cities that are bidding for 2014. The literature and glossy publications we are getting, plus invitations to visit their countries, all expenses paid, to see their facilities gives an indication of the costs of staging the whole thing”.

A feasibility study on New Zealand hosting the Games again was done last year and concluded that the Games were out of New Zealand’s reach, but Maister said Sparc, which commissioned the study, wanted more information.

The Garden City
Old January 30th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #4
Davee
A Christchurch Son

http://www.gamesbids.com/english/index.shtml

The Garden City
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #5
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Likes (Received): 0

Yep I definitely hope they go for it. QEII park revamp! Yay!

As the most venerable D Lange would say..."Stupid, I can smell the hydrocarbons on your breath from over here!"
Kane007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #6
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

Likes (Received): 42

Cool. It'd be nice to hold something like this in NZ again.

Dedicated Urbanist | 'cause it's the city we live in..
flyin_higher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 04:07 AM   #7
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Likes (Received): 5114

Who are we up against ?

" Melbourne is just like San Francisco without the fog" ... Anthony Bourdain

BLOG + FLICKR + TWITTER + FACEBOOK + PINTEREST
+ INSTAGRAM
SYDNEY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #8
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Thus far only Adelaide, South Australia. Their hedging their bets in case they miss out on the 2014 bid!

As the most venerable D Lange would say..."Stupid, I can smell the hydrocarbons on your breath from over here!"
Old January 30th, 2007, 04:21 AM   #9
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Interesting, how similar Adelaide and Christchurch are in general appearance. I've only visited Adelaide once and was struck by the similarities.

Old January 30th, 2007, 04:32 AM   #10
dubious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane007 View Post
Thus far only Adelaide, South Australia. Their hedging their bets in case they miss out on the 2014 bid!
I'd be happy with either. South Australia desperately needs something to put it back on the map.
dubious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #11
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

Likes (Received): 42

lol, nah who cares, we want it here!

Dedicated Urbanist | 'cause it's the city we live in..
flyin_higher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 04:39 AM   #12
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubious View Post
I'd be happy with either. South Australia desperately needs something to put it back on the map.
Lol. For me South Australia will always be on the map - the best Reds in the world!!!

Old January 30th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #13
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane007 View Post
On the Games Bid website, they only have as the bid cities:

Halifax, Canada
Glasgow, Scotland
Abuja, Nigeria

I'm not sure if they are the short list, or they are still waiting for ADL's bid to arrive.

I'm with Todd on this one - we want it here - it would be good for NZ if we did it well

The Garden City
Old January 30th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #14
IHaveNoLegs
No Fat Chicks

Likes (Received): 27

the athletics at QEII will need to be completly redone, it is an absolute shithole
Canterbury Dragons - We have the CLAP
Gotta get money - for the things I want to buy
IHaveNoLegs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #15
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoLegs View Post
the athletics at QEII will need to be completly redone, it is an absolute shithole
True - but that would all be within the planning. I could imagine Jade being used for the opening and closing, a lot of the venues are already in existance, planning, being constructed, being refurbished. It's how will they bring it all together. Just think what this is going to do for

Transport - roading, harbour, airport
Construction - sporting, commercial, accomadation ect
Tourisim - both North and South and Australia

The thought is exciting enough.

The Garden City
Old January 30th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #16
jafa

good luck christchurch. im rooting for ya
jafa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #17
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Hey NZ, we have international exposure on the Cityscapes and Skylines thread. All the way from HK!!

The Garden City
Old January 30th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #18
Stan
NZ

Likes (Received): 2

Do you guys reckon Wellington could handle event like this?
Stan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #19
Q-TIP

Likes (Received): 2

This will depend on how NZ pulls off the WC 2011.. "if the country cant get stadia up to international standard, how could a city manage it" approach will be looked at.
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #20
Mo Rush
life.love.everything else

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENIGMA View Post
Who are we up against ?
durban

Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote