daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2005, 06:39 PM   #21
Shmuckadoodle

Location: Greater Madchester, England, UK, Western Europe, Earth, Space (North)
Likes (Received): 0

jrb. how did you get up there?

i went to the top, and before i could get to the edge some guy with a radio said i had to get the **** off, told me to go down to the bottom in a lift that dide3nt exist!. So i went the other way and took the stairs.

~Albert Einstein

City of peace
9462 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2005, 10:20 PM   #22
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 31133

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9462
jrb. how did you get up there?

i went to the top, and before i could get to the edge some guy with a radio said i had to get the **** off, told me to go down to the bottom in a lift that dide3nt exist!. So i went the other way and took the stairs.
They got me aswell! But I'd already taken the pictures by then.

I think there a bit OTT at the mo, because it's new. Give it a few months, and they won't bother!
jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #23
Priscilla QOTD
Nasty piece of work

Likes (Received): 950

This was the only thread I could find with the new interchange in it. I'm sure there was another one. Maybe it got lost when the hackers attacked.

To the point: Shudehill transport interchange will be opening very soon!! Sunday 29th Jan to be precise!

Meant to tell you about this last week, I don't think anyone else has mentioned it yet - GMPTE officials are handing out (not very informative) flyers at major bus stops around town. They basically tell you that some routes from the north and west of the conurbation will be diverted in the city centre but don't give details of which routes and where they'll be diverted.
Old January 19th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #24
Priscilla QOTD
Nasty piece of work

From GMPTE:

City centre gears up for opening of Shudehill Interchange
Published on Wednesday, 18 January 2006
A major information campaign will be launched by GMPTE on Friday 20 January to get bus passengers ready for the biggest changes to the city centre's bus services in a decade.

On Sunday 29 January, the new bus station at Shudehill Interchange will open to passengers, whilst changes to bus routes throughout the city centre mean many passengers will be using different stops. The changes will have the biggest impact on city centre bus services since the closure of the Cannon Street bus station following the 1996 bombing.

GMPTE staff will be out and about in central Manchester distributing over 100,000 leaflets showing the new city centre bus stop locations and outlining all the changes.

GMPTE Projects Director, Michael Renshaw, said: "The new bus station at Shudehill Interchange is going to be a fantastic boost for the city centre, offering travellers a modern, safe and comfortable waiting environment.

"There will also be some big changes to city centre bus routes at the end of the month and we want to try and ensure that passengers know where they'll be getting their bus from. We'll be making leaflets available throughout the city centre and our staff will also be on hand to answer any questions people may have. We'll be doing all we can to make the transition to the new bus station as smooth as possible."

From 29 January, parts of Corporation Street and Cross Street (between Withy Grove and New Market) will be pedestrianised for shoppers between 11am and 7pm.

The changes are being introduced by Manchester City Council on a trial basis so that their effect on the use of buses, as well as commuter and visitor satisfaction and safety, can be monitored. Public consultation will be carried out during this period before a decision is taken as to whether to make the arrangements permanent.

Councillor Neil Swannick, Manchester City Council's executive member for planning and transport, added: "Manchester city centre has undergone a dramatic transformation in the past ten years and a changing city has changing transport needs. More people than ever are living in, working in and visiting the city centre so it's vital that our transport network evolves to reflect our status as a world class European city.

"The opening of Shudehill and the new bus routing arrangements will improve pedestrian safety and make Manchester city centre much more accessible to public transport users."

There are now three, easy access and free Metroshuttle services which serve all the main city centre areas. Metroshuttle services 1 and 2 (Orange and Green) will continue to travel along Corporation Street and Cross Street at all times of the day, whilst the latter service will link with Shudehill Interchange from the 29 January with a service every ten minutes from 7am to 7pm, Monday to Saturday and 10am to 6pm on Sundays.

The 'City Centre Bus Service Changes' Leaflet will also be available from Travelshops and on buses. Bus users can also check their services before travelling by calling Traveline on 0870 608 2 608. Lines are open from 7am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 8pm at weekends. Textphone users should ring 0870 241 2216.

Media contacts: GMPTE - Becky Marr or David Harris on 0161 242 6245, or by email at [email protected]

Manchester City Council - Rebecca Kennedy or Deborah Grace on 0161 234 3332

More information about Shudehill Interchange is available on this page
Old January 19th, 2006, 04:51 PM   #25
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Likes (Received): 4

http://www.gmpte.com/content.cfm?subcategory_id=3529156
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #26
highriser

Likes (Received): 161

should be good for Piccadilly when this open's , it should take away a few buses from there.
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 08:59 PM   #27
Latic

Likes (Received): 0

Thnaks for the info!

Might confuse people at first - but this will improve things loads. It's a great idea putting the main transport interchanges on the edge of the centre, so people can still get here but things are more pleasant when they do. There is also a safety issue - I saw someone knocked down in Exchange Square by a bus. Wasn't pretty.
Old January 20th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #28
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

I dont think its taking that much traffic away. I went through the list of buses that are changing there and its not that impressive. Personally I would have liked to see it take all buses from the North and East of the city but the 216 will still run to Piccadilly (for example). What we need is another couple of interchanges to take all the buses away from Piccadilly Gardens as its a mess. Perhaps an interchange near Piccadilly Station for buses to the East and South East and maybe another near GMEX/GN Tower for buses to the west and south. Then just have more of those free buses darting around for people in the city centre.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #29
Farsight

Likes (Received): 747

Agreed. Piccadilly Gardens would really work if all them buses were shifted, they could knock down that stupid Berlin Wall, and the Plaza would have a fighting chance of becoming a desirable place instead of chavsville. You'd be able to smell fresh brewed coffee and new mown grass instead of diesel and burgers.
Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #30
vertigosufferer

Likes (Received): 2

Yes, gutted, the 81/82 or 180/184 Oldham to Manchester isn't on that list either. Will have to put up with Dale St debarking, and not a swanky, new posh exchange lol
vertigosufferer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 03:47 PM   #31
Priscilla QOTD
Nasty piece of work

Not much traffic will be taken from Piccadilly. This new interchange will mainly accommodate services which used to use the Arndale bus station, which have been scattered about the city in locations such as cross street, corporation street, victoria station, exchange station etc for nigh on ten years.

Also, I forgot to mention with my original post that while I've been reading up on this from various sources, I keep coming across references to PERMANENTLY pedestrianise Cross street.

This will no doubt please Gavin no end if it proves to be true!

Last edited by Priscilla QOTD; January 23rd, 2006 at 07:57 PM.
Priscilla QOTD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 05:14 PM   #32
Gavin
SSC Member

Likes (Received): 223

David, how right you are.
I have advocated this move over and over again and infact i put it in my response to the public consultation for this area about a year back. Looks like they listened.
Heres to more pedestrianisation, they're are so many streets where a small bit of pedestrianisation would make a whole lot of difference in manc. Infact, someone should masterplan it...... who needs a job?
Gavin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 12:39 AM   #33
loweskid

Likes (Received): 1315

Quote:
Originally Posted by scproductions View Post
Can't see the pics?
Of course you can't see the pics - they were posted twelve years ago...

Why are you resurrecting these old threads from years ago - what's the point?

Obobru, ric4397 liked this post
loweskid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #34
loweskid

Likes (Received): 1315

Quote:
Originally Posted by scproductions View Post
They must be saved somewhere?!!
Is this a wind up?

Quote:
Is there a way to retrieve them?
No.
loweskid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 12:25 AM   #35
purple_cat

Likes (Received): 3565

Quote:
Originally Posted by loweskid View Post
Of course you can't see the pics - they were posted twelve years ago...

Why are you resurrecting these old threads from years ago - what's the point?
I presume "scproductions" is a spammer and asked for it to be blocked
purple_cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote