daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 19th, 2005, 08:55 PM   #1
MaastrichtRob

Likes (Received): 0

Future of the Velodrome?

I caught some snippet from the TV which was a London or South East regional report where they were banging on about the Olympics, and someone was talking about the permanent velodrome that would be built. Reading between the lines, the implication was that when London got this facility, major cycling events would be better held there rather than in Manchester. Apparently the last big international cycling event in Eastlands wasnt terribly well attended, and so the gist was that having these things in London would get more bums on seats and would get more publicity.

I wonder how this new facility will affect Manchesters velodrome? It would be a shame if all the prestigeous events were all sucked to London, and Manchester was left as a "regional centre of excellence", with the title of National Cycling Centre being nothing more than a name.
MaastrichtRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #2
Chogmook
Mancunian Member

Likes (Received): 679

Manchesters track is one of, if not the fastest in the world, that's why many World Championships have been held there, if anything, it'll be London's Velodrome (or should that be velo-dome!) that'll become a white elephant!
Old November 19th, 2005, 10:00 PM   #3
dannyb

I was afraid something like this would happen, which was why i was partly against the london olympic bid.....

http://www.ecologyfund.com/

http:///rainforest.care2.com/

Please click to help protect rainforest and other worthy causes
dannyb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 11:25 PM   #4
Sir Miles Platting

Likes (Received): 8

I don't think it matters whether it's used solely for cycling. It's a good venue with decent capacity and can be used for other indoor sports.
I'm sure there was a Ricky Hatton boxing match held there just a couple of years ago. When Sportcity gets more developed it will be used extensively.
Sir Miles Platting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #5
rolybling
Less is more.

Likes (Received): 1557

I agree Miles, but it would be a ****** crime if London gets all the big cycling events to the detrament of Manchester. Manchesters Velodrome and the 2002 Games has helped lift the profile of British Cycling and it would be wrong for London to just swan in and take all the glory.
rolybling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 12:30 AM   #6
Sir Miles Platting

Likes (Received): 8

I can't understand why they would want to build yet another velodrome anyway. It's not like Manchester is 10 days camel-ride from Landan is it? Manchester should be pressuring the gov to stage some of the events (especially indoor cycling). Get the press involved to highlight how the Olympic commitee is pissing the taxpayers money away on 'white elephants'. Once Landan sees the spiralling costs of these games I'm sure they'll be looking to download some of the events to 'the provinces'....
Sir Miles Platting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 02:46 PM   #7
Latic

Manchester's Velodrome is still the fastest in the world. It can also hold all sorts of other events like netball and basketball in the centre space. As well as this it's home to the BCF. I doubt that it will loose that many events as it's so well established in the world of cycling.
The comparision I would make is the Triathlon. Although London has one - it's no where near as big or important as the now well established Salford route.

As for the Olympics as a whole you can look to Oz for encouragement. Melbourne was the home of sport in Oz and kept this reputation depsite a very sucessful Sydney Olympics. And we all know London's going to ****-up the games just like everything else they've tried to do Those Olympics have boosted tourism in Melbourne without ridding it of many major sporting events.

I hope that's what will happen here as well....
Old November 20th, 2005, 05:06 PM   #8
TheGrand

Likes (Received): 23

The thing that was a relief to me and probably to many mancs. Was that a lot of the Stadia/Fascilities are to be dismantled after the games and rebuilt elsewhere.

Im sure I read this was the case, unless I dreamt it
TheGrand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #9
Latic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrand
The thing that was a relief to me and probably to many mancs. Was that a lot of the Stadia/Fascilities are to be dismantled after the games and rebuilt elsewhere.

Im sure I read this was the case, unless I dreamt it
This is absolutly spot on - the athletics stadium and pool will have thier capacities reduced after the games and of the four multi-sport arenas being built only one will remain in London. The other positive thing for us is that London and London alone will bear the costs.

And some things are already starting to wobble......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...12/4408396.stm

This one's quite funny

And it's not gonna be cheap....
Old November 21st, 2005, 04:28 PM   #10
Legin

And it looks like these costs are going to rise.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/busin...646392,00.html
Legin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 04:48 PM   #11
homesweethome

Likes (Received): 33

i think its in the nations interests that these games are a success. just cos manchester didnt get an olympic games you shouldnt point judgement at how "london " handles the games b cos at the end of the day it will reflect badly on the entire nation, may be finacially london may baer the price but to the rest of the world it will be britain who has failed.

i think we all need to get behind these games to make them a success and im confident that they will be the best games ever, hosted in the greatest city in the world in, in the worlds best country.

people who doubt britains ability to do this should be hung up and shot!!!!
homesweethome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 04:58 PM   #12
Legin

I agree with everything you say. Manchester got some stick from the London Media when it went over budget with the Commonwealth Games but we still managed to deliver a great tournament.
Legin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 05:00 PM   #13
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 61

Doesn't the Manchester Velodrome get used by local cyclists, isn't that the point of it after all. We're becoming a nation of watchers rather than do-ers. Let London have the events, more time for locals to use the facilities then.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 05:17 PM   #14
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6532

You see, this is why I don't bother to visit this forum.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 09:10 PM   #15
Latic

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesweethome
i think its in the nations interests that these games are a success. just cos manchester didnt get an olympic games you shouldnt point judgement at how "london " handles the games b cos at the end of the day it will reflect badly on the entire nation, may be finacially london may baer the price but to the rest of the world it will be britain who has failed.

i think we all need to get behind these games to make them a success and im confident that they will be the best games ever, hosted in the greatest city in the world in, in the worlds best country.

people who doubt britains ability to do this should be hung up and shot!!!!
I agree to a certain extent - a bad games would reflect badly on us all. I do hope it does go down well and that the whole country benefits and not just London. Some of the language coming out of the 2012 team has been encouraging, espescially the way in which some of the stadia will be moved. However London doesn't have a great track record at hosting one-off things like this and there are already rumblings that it'll go over budget.

Remember...
> World Athletics Championships
> Wembley Stadium
> Diana Memorial Fountain
> Millenium Dome
etc.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 01:03 AM   #16
dgnr8
Mmm, Danone

Likes (Received): 313

You're quite the pessimist though Darjole, so I wouldn't worry your pretty little head about trumping your duffle truffles in here.

The velodrome is a really busy place. It gets good attendance for the big events but it's sparse the rest of the time. The real activity is Mancs using the track. I never did it myself, but I went with a mate about 6 years back as he was getting a proper bike license (or something, I forget) and there were bloody loads of people. It's still well used today. Get the tram running through there (special provisions on the tram for bikes anybody?) and it'll be fine.

I do worry about the roof a bit though. Last I heard it was still leaking like buggery. And it looks a right cheap effort from outside, what with your corrugated zinc bollocks.
dgnr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 11:59 PM   #17
Obobru
Proud Citizen

Likes (Received): 632

What is with over a decade old threads being brought back to life???
Obobru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 12:18 AM   #18
purple_cat

Likes (Received): 3565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obobru View Post
What is with over a decade old threads being brought back to life???
Spammer "scproductions". Now blocked by the mod

Obobru liked this post
purple_cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 10:31 AM   #19
wuulfy

Likes (Received): 360

At least we can actually answer the question that this thread proposed.
Future of the velodrome?
Pretty good actually.
wuulfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote