daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2017, 10:40 AM   #1
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 26040

Photobucket

Hi guys

Just a wee message for those that might have missed it in the other threads. Photobucket is now being very difficult towards its users and making them pay for image hosting. The result is mass confusion (as if posting images on this website wasn't already confusing enough!!) and images like the one below littered all over the forums

If you're using Photobucket and want to post images for free, use either of the following websites. They're totally free and easy to use.

www.postimg.org

www.flickr.com

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2017, 11:15 AM   #2
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 43397

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Hi guys

Just a wee message for those that might have missed it in the other threads. Photobucket is now being very difficult towards its users and making them pay for image hosting. The result is mass confusion (as if posting images on this website wasn't already confusing enough!!) and images like the one below littered all over the forums

If you're using Photobucket and want to post images for free, use either of the following websites. They're totally free and easy to use.

www.postimg.org

www.flickr.com

As someone who has paid about £100 per year, for years, to use the hosting and storage that Photobucket provides, I have to express some sympathy with their recent actions. They are the most popular storage and hosting site in the world, as far as I’m aware - and the popularity of the free service has resulted in problems for those of us who pay.

The problems have been mounting for a few years now, with the site requiring ongoing and continual maintenance -due to the vast amount of storage it provides. When you are paying for a service this is a real pain in the arse and very annoying. I can well imagine how frustrating it must be for people not to be able to use the site freely for hosting anymore - and I know many people have been seriously upset by this, but there is another side to the story.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 12:42 PM   #3
Childzy

Likes (Received): 1027

Also a mention for the below

Imgur - allows accounts, provides BB code share link from image. Can create albums, one of the largest providers in the sector with enough investment that they won't go down photobucket route.
http://imgur.com/

Google Photos - Excellent for sharing large images / pano. Have a really good quality zoom and pan tool for these. Sharing for embedding not as good so a combination of both is best. Also unlikely to need to move to a paid model.
https://photos.google.com/
Childzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 12:53 PM   #4
Urmstoniain

Likes (Received): 218

I'd noticed a lot of these Photobucket 'speedo' images popping up lately - plus the shear volume of adverts making the free version of Photobucket all but unusable.

It's a real frustration, especially when you're looking back at interesting old threads, and there are gaps where images once were - e.g. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1288587

Does this mean that images hosted through the free version of Photobucket will increasingly disappear from threads?
Urmstoniain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 03:49 PM   #5
Slow Burn
Consumed

Likes (Received): 7704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urmstoniain View Post
I'd noticed a lot of these Photobucket 'speedo' images popping up lately - plus the shear volume of adverts making the free version of Photobucket all but unusable.

It's a real frustration, especially when you're looking back at interesting old threads, and there are gaps where images once were - e.g. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1288587

Does this mean that images hosted through the free version of Photobucket will increasingly disappear from threads?
That's a a shame if that were to be the case. I've been posting photo updates for years using photobucket. I've no intention of paying for it so seems they may all disappear from the threads.
Slow Burn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 06:33 PM   #6
MatthewDalrymple

Likes (Received): 7453

It will depend on how big the backlash/boycott is. Perhaps they will have to introduce a much smaller charge for basic use (not sure how it works now).

I not sure Flickr is the most forward thinking alternative. I don't think Yahoo ever did much with them, they fell way behind in some areas and the editing software is often broken, and now they have been sold and I'm pretty sure Flickr isn't the attractive part of the deal.

I don't know Google photos, but they are always in the news because of updates and improvements, plus it's Google, so they aren't going anywhere, ever. In fact it will probably be their robots that kill/enslave us.

mooned liked this post
MatthewDalrymple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 02:11 AM   #7
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

Likes (Received): 1792

I have been paying for my own hosting from www.fasthosts.co.uk
I manage it all myself, but they do have photo hosting apps you can install, no adverts, no messing around, plus I get a real internet presence all for less than £100 a year
Old July 27th, 2017, 11:28 AM   #8
Urmstoniain

Likes (Received): 218

Interesting, and balanced article on the subject...

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/84688.html
Urmstoniain no está en línea   Reply With Quote