daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > New York City

New York City » Manhattan | Brooklyn & Staten Island | Queens & Bronx | NYC Suburbs, Long Island & SW CT | photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2016, 06:17 PM   #261
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

What a nightmare. I hope this pile of cheeto dust and his disastrous cabinet picks don't completely ruin the city that made him.

Fearing Loss of U.S. Money Under Trump, New York Begins Urgent Review
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/02/ny...ion%2Fnyregion

Quote:
By WILLIAM NEUMANDEC. 2, 2016

Officials are conducting an urgent review of the billions of dollars that New York City receives each year from the federal government to identify the streams of money that may be most at risk once President-elect Donald J. Trump takes office.

Mr. Trump, a Republican, has threatened to punish cities that defy his efforts to deport undocumented immigrants, and there is also concern that the Republican-controlled Congress may seek to slash longstanding aid programs.

“There’s urgency because the threat seems greater than it’s been,” said Tony Shorris, the first deputy mayor, referring to the effort to identify which programs may be most at risk. “There’s also uncertainty because the lack of clarity is much greater than it’s been.

Mr. Trump has said he will cut financing to so-called sanctuary cities that move to protect undocumented immigrants or refuse to cooperate with federal deportation efforts.

In response, Mayor Bill de Blasio, a Democrat, and the mayors of many other cities have adopted a defiant stance, saying they will not comply with demands to help identify or round up immigrants in this country illegally.

Officials said the federal government could not just eliminate all of the city’s financing, which flows to many programs, each bound by laws and regulations.

Some kinds of financing are more vulnerable than others. Some cuts may require congressional action through the budget process or by changes to laws that require programs, Mr. Shorris said. But there are other types of financing that the president or federal agencies he controls could eliminate or suspend unilaterally.

Scott M. Stringer, the city comptroller, whose office has also begun to study the potential effect on the city of any federal cuts, said it was difficult to predict what actions Mr. Trump might take.

“Donald Trump is unpredictable and he says one thing one day and he does another the next,” Mr. Stringer, a Democrat, said. He added that the greater danger were the deep cuts Congress might make to programs that Republicans have long wanted to slash.

“With a Republican Congress,” Mr. Stringer said, “if their rhetoric creates actionable items, we could potentially constrict or collapse the safety net in the city and that is a very real threat to the survival of a lot of vulnerable New Yorkers.”

Eric F. Phillips, Mr. de Blasio’s press secretary, said city lawyers and budget officials were preparing what he called an “exposure sheet,” highlighting programs that may be most vulnerable.

Though city officials had promised to provide details of their work, they reversed course abruptly this week and refused to offer additional information.

“The legal and financial analysis of our potential exposure is not yet complete,” Mr. Phillips said in an email.

Estimates vary as to how much money the city receives from the federal government, but a study by the city’s Independent Budget Office put the total last year at about $7 billion. A review by Mr. Stringer’s office estimated the amount for the current fiscal year, which began on July 1, at somewhat higher than that, though less than 9 percent of the city’s overall budget, excluding recovery aid related to Hurricane Sandy.

Mr. Shorris said that concerns went beyond direct federal financing of city programs.

One threat is connected to Republican vows to repeal or weaken the Affordable Care Act. If that happened and large numbers of city residents lost their health insurance as a result, they would most likely seek care in city-run hospitals. That would greatly increase the burden on those hospitals, the largest provider of care to uninsured New Yorkers.

Legal precedent may require that any cuts to federal funding be related to an issue in dispute between the city and the federal government. If, for instance, the city refused to allow the Police Department to cooperate with deportation raids, it could put money tied to the criminal justice system at risk.

A city official familiar with the effort to identify vulnerable programs said it was unlikely that the federal government would seek to reduce financing aimed at helping New York fight terrorism. But the official, who was not authorized to comment publicly on internal discussions and asked not to be identified, said there were other, smaller funding streams that could be affected.

Those include federal grants that could pay for programs meant to create alternatives to incarceration or for creating educational or rehabilitative programing within the city’s jails.

Programs outside the criminal justice system may also be vulnerable, such as those that receive federal money for programs that specifically serve immigrants in areas such as adult literacy and work force development.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2016, 03:32 PM   #262
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
What a nightmare. I hope this pile of cheeto dust and his disastrous cabinet picks don't completely ruin the city that made him.

Fearing Loss of U.S. Money Under Trump, New York Begins Urgent Review
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/02/ny...ion%2Fnyregion
I'd only say this - the city needs to start making its own decisions about its problems without relying on Trump. Illegal immigrants is not going to be the only issue he will want to cut funding to the city - mark my words.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2016, 03:44 PM   #263
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1285

I have a question and I am not sure where to put it, so I will put it here. Now since the Hudson Yards are rising, and there is the potential to remove the Javits Center´, and redevelop these blocks. Where could a new and big enough convention center be build and are there already proposals done for that matter?

What I also wonder is, how are they going to make JFK suitable for future demand? There is like no space where they could build new terminals and or runways at all.

germantower está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2016, 10:17 PM   #264
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
I have a question and I am not sure where to put it, so I will put it here. Now since the Hudson Yards are rising, and there is the potential to remove the Javits Center´, and redevelop these blocks.
Probably not since the governor announced a $1 Billion expansion/upgrade in January.

Quote:
What I also wonder is, how are they going to make JFK suitable for future demand? There is like no space where they could build new terminals and or runways at all.
Good question. I know they just finished expanding and rehabbing one of their runways which increased capacity, so they find space where they can. But otherwise I think they'd have to expand into Jamaica Bay if they wanted to really increase capacity.

Old December 11th, 2016, 12:05 AM   #265
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 564

Quote:
I have a question and I am not sure where to put it, so I will put it here. Now since the Hudson Yards are rising, and there is the potential to remove the Javits Center´, and redevelop these blocks. Where could a new and big enough convention center be build and are there already proposals done for that matter?
Javits will move eventually. The land is publicly owned, and is way too valuable for the city/state to just sit on it. It might not be for another decade, but it'll move.

Sunnyside rail yards in Queens or Willets Point are the most likely destinations.

Quote:
Really extensive study done on this. It's not just a JFK problem, but a regional problem. Boils down to where the money for any of this is going to come from, which is sort of unbelievable given that the city of New York has a budget nearly as large as the state of Illinois.

yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 11:44 PM   #266
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Midtown East rezoning proposal moves forward
http://ny.curbed.com/2017/1/3/141582...proposal-ulurp

Quote:
The long-in-the-works plan to rezone Midtown East will push forward this week, as the proposal enters the city’s uniform land-use review procedure. The proposed rezoning’s aim is to keep the dense and largely office-oriented stretch of Manhattan competitive as a business hub as large, media-forward companies flock to neighborhoods like Hudson Yards and the Financial District where a new and updated stock of office buildings abound.

As it stands now, the 78-block area targeted by the proposed rezoning is governed by 1961 zoning rules that place overly stringent codes on the area prohibiting the transfer of landmarks air rights to buildings other than those directly adjacent to them, among other provisions.

A draft environmental impact statement that appeared online earlier this week clarified a few of the rezoning’s key tenets. The area’s floor-to-area ratio (FAR) will be increased from about 12 to 15, to up to 18. Developers close to public transit, where the rezoning will seek to concentrate density, will be able to pay for additional FAR if they agree to pay for and construct new upgrades to transit that will be specified by the MTA.

In exchange for landmarks like Grand Central Terminal and St. Patrick’s Cathedral being able to sell their air rights under the new zoning proposal, the sellers must commit 20 percent of the sale price to a fund that will go towards sidewalk-level improvements and be run by appointees of the mayor.

The seven-month uniform land-use review procedure (ULURP) process will include an environmental impact survey, as well as the eventual votes of the City Council and Mayor de Blasio. An earlier Bloomberg-era plan to rezone Midtown East collapsed, and was later revived and reshaped into the current proposal with the help of Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer and City Council member Dan Garodnick.

Old January 22nd, 2017, 01:49 AM   #267
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Over 200,000 people protested in Manhattan today in support of the women's march in DC and across the world. Trump better watch his back!

http://www.amny.com/news/politics/tr...ors-1.12652621

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2952401

Old January 23rd, 2017, 04:47 PM   #268
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12285

I think the whole world is in awe of the sheer size of the protests. Surely this must be unprecedented in the history of Inaugurations.

Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 08:40 PM   #269
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
I think the whole world is in awe of the sheer size of the protests. Surely this must be unprecedented in the history of Inaugurations.
Indeed. Many sources are saying it's the largest protest to ever occur in U.S. history, with 3-4 million marching in the U.S. (http://www.vox.com/2017/1/22/1435080...us-history-map). NYC alone had over 400,000, which is remarkable considering many people left the city to march in D.C. Apparently the march's huge success, contrasted with the paltry inauguration numbers, has really gotten under DT's cheeto-colored skin.

Old February 9th, 2017, 09:19 PM   #270
Renna Hazel

Likes (Received): 14

But they were the largest inauguration numbers in the history of man. They're going to find photos to prove it one day, you'll see.
Renna Hazel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2017, 12:52 AM   #271
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Port Authority approves $32B capital plan with airport, bus terminal revamps
http://ny.curbed.com/2017/2/16/14642...a-bus-terminal

Quote:
As expected the Port Authority’s Board approved its massive $32.2 billion 10-year Capital Plan on Thursday—it’s the largest sum the agency has approved for a capital plan yet. Just some of the projects that will get a boost from this capital plan, which covers the years 2017-2027, include a new bus terminal, and upgrades to all of the city’s airports. Here’s a proper breakdown:

$11.6 billion will be allocated towards the three major airports that serve NYC—JFK Airport, Newark Airport, and LaGuardia. The latter is getting $4 billion for a revamped Terminal B. That transformation is currently underway and has already caused some serious traffic headaches. In January, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced a $10 billion overhaul of JFK Aiport, and plans for a new terminal at Newark have been in the works for a while now. Overall funds also include a plan to extend the PATH train from the Newark Penn Station to the Newark Liberty International Airport Air Link Station.

The Port Authority Bus Terminal is getting a funding infusion of $3.5 billion, though many say this is not enough, and officials in New York and New Jersey are still quarreling over the exact location and funding burdens for this project. A design competition last year revealed cost estimates ranging between $3 billion and $15 billion. For now, the Port Authority is hiring environmental and technical consultants as part of the ongoing planning process.

$10 billion have been allocated towards several trans-Hudson tunnels and bridges. This includes (aside from the above-mentioned bus terminal) a $2 billion rehabilitation of the George Washington Bridge, and billions more spent on replacing the Bayonne Bridge and the Goethals Bridge.

The Trans-Hudson rail tunnel will also move forward courtesy a $2.7 billion allocation.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 18th, 2017, 05:38 AM   #272
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 23118

The GWB will also be involved with the lighting of the NYC crossings. It's nice to see the PA play ball and invest into this.

http://nypost.com/2017/02/06/new-cit...st-attraction/

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:33 AM   #273
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3107

What's this new building for the Upper west side ? I came here to see but can't find it ? Maybe not so tall but very unusual I hear...Sorry, I forget we are a day ahead...
Old April 21st, 2017, 06:03 AM   #274
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
What's this new building for the Upper west side ? I came here to see but can't find it ? Maybe not so tall but very unusual I hear...Sorry, I forget we are a day ahead...
Could you describe it? There are several developments on the UWS that could be this.

In other news....

New York City air pollution at all-time low, data reveals
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3077440
Quote:
New Yorkers can breathe a little easier — air pollution in the city is at the lowest level ever recorded, new data from the city Health Department shows.

The amount of particulate matter in the air — considered the most dangerous urban pollutant because it can penetrate deep into the lungs and enter the bloodstream, contributing to lung and heart disease — has fallen 18% since 2009, according to the report set to be released Thursday.

Sulfur dioxide saw the biggest drop — 84% over seven years — after the city tightened heating oil rules.

Nitrogen dioxide levels also fell 23% through 2015, the most recent year full data is available. Nitric oxide declined 28%, and black carbon 18%.

Air pollution levels in the city dropped in part because of federal rules regulating emissions from power plants which could be axed under President Trump

The worst pollution levels for particulate matter were in Midtown and neighborhoods with both heavy car traffic and a lot of buildings burning fossil fuels had the dirtiest air, including areas in Manhattan and part of the Bronx. The cleanest air for particulate matter was in the Rockaways and Broad Channel.

Air pollution levels in the city dropped in part because of federal rules regulating emissions from power plants — which could be axed under President Trump.

“What we don’t want to see is rollbacks of federal regulations that might affects these trends, and possible worsen air quality,” Kheirbek said.

BarbaricManchurian, Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 21st, 2017, 02:01 PM   #275
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2750

You may think death metal is for low-lifes, Mayor De Blasio thinks otherwise.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/int...ing-from-roof/
Quote:
William Tolley, founding drummer of Long Island, New York death metallers INTERNAL BLEEDING and a veteran firefighter, died this afternoon (Thursday, April 20) after falling five stories to his death from the roof of an apartment building in the Ridgewood section of Queens, New York.

Tolley, who was responding to an apartment fire three floors below, was pronounced dead a short time later at the Wyckoff Heights Medical Center.

According to CBS2, the fire had been brought under control when Tolley misstepped while moving between the roof and the bucket at the end of a five-story ladder.

The 42-year-old is survived by his wife Marie and their 8-year-old daughter Bella.

New York mayor Bill De Blasio paid tribute to Tolley on Facebook, calling the senior firefighter "a hero" who was "dedicated to protecting others." The mayor added: "He gave his life to this work... He made the ultimate sacrifice."
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2017, 03:03 AM   #276
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Really happy about the improvements in water quality in the NYC area. And as the articles notes it's not just whales but other kinds of wildlife as well!

Why whales are back in New York City
http://www.popsci.com/new-york-city-whales

Quote:
For the first time in a century, humpback whales have returned to the waters of New York harbor. And not just occasionally, either. They're coming in enough numbers that a company can reliably trot tourists out to the ocean—within sight distance of Manhattan’s skyscrapers—to see them.

“Because of the improvement of the water quality, algae and zooplankton have multiplied, giving good food for the menhaden [a small oily forager fish beloved by whales], which have returned in numbers that the fishermen say they have not seen in their lifetimes,” Paul L. Sieswerda told PopSci. Once a curator at the New York Aquarium, Sieswerda has since founded Gotham Whales, an organization that conducts tours and monitors the presence of whales, seals, and dolphins in NYC. “Our surveys show an exponential increase in the number of whales since 2011 when we first began our studies," he said. "Prior to that, whales were only seen intermittently."

Once all but extinct in New York City's waters, the whales are undeniably back. The same year that the curious humpback captured our attentions, Sieswerda counted 106 whales in the waters off New York City. In November, a whale was caught swimming near the Statue of Liberty. And it's not just whales: dolphins and seals have also come along for the ride. It's shocking to longtime New Yorkers, who remember when the city's rivers and beaches were an ecological punchline.

To what can we credit this radical shift? For starters there’s legislation, which since the 1960s has shifted to support better management of the city’s—and the nation’s—waterways. Congress Passed the Clean Air Act in 1963 and expanded it in 1970, 1977, and 1990 (air pollution can infiltrate waterways, carried over by dust, rain, or through simple gravity). And on April 22nd, 1970 (the first Earth Day) then-Governor Nelson Rockefeller signed New York’s Environmental Conservation Law, which created the state's Department of Environmental Conservation. It provided the state with the capacity to administer and regulate the state’s environmental laws. The creation of the Environmental Protection Agency that same year did the same on a federal level. The passage of the Federal Clean Water Act in 1972, and the Federal Safe Drinking Water Act, provided the legislative framework to hold environmental polluters accountable.

Cleaner waterways have lured the fish back, while limits on commercial fishing (in part because some of the fish species are not safe for human consumption, courtesy of the PCBs that still linger in their bodies) give the whales something akin to an all-you-can-eat buffet.

But it's important to note that although the city's waterways are cleaner, they're not perfect. The city is home to not one, but two aquatic superfund sites: Gowanus Canal and Newtown Creek. The city still pours some 27 billion gallons of storm water and raw sewage into many of its waterways every year, legally, due to an antiquated sewage system desperately in need of an overhaul

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDOAO5NHFYb/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDOAO5NHFYb/

Hudson11, Zaz965 liked this post
Old October 30th, 2017, 02:03 AM   #277
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Gowanus Canal will be partially clean for the first time in over 100 years
https://ny.curbed.com/2017/10/26/165...leanup-efforts

Quote:
by Ameena Walker Oct 26, 2017, 4:15pm EDT

Come next spring, a portion of the Gowanus Canal be will clean for the first time in over 100 years. The Environmental Protection Agency is already in the process of removing 10 feet of black mayonnaise that has settled on the canal’s floor as part of a pilot study taking place at the canal’s Fourth Street Basin. Once that process is complete, phase two of the pilot, which involves dredging work following by a capping procedure, will begin in December, to prevent recontamination from occurring.

At a Community Advisory Group meeting held in the Gowanus neighborhood earlier this week, EPA Senior Project Manager for the Gowanus Superfund, Christos Tsiamis, explained that by the end of the pilot study, a portion of the canal will actually be clean, reports Brooklyn blog Pardon Me for Asking.

Phase one of the pilot kicked off back in December 2016 and involved removing large debris from the murky canal that were identified through sonar scanning. During the second phase, waste from the dredging will be removed and then screened, stabilized, and barged to an off-site facility. A multi-layer protective cover will keep new debris from settling at the bottom of the canal.

All of this is expected to wrap up in May 2018 and though the Gowanus Canal will be far from sanitary, it’s a major step forward.
Old October 30th, 2017, 02:05 AM   #278
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

City will invest $250M to preserve Mitchell-Lama buildings
https://ny.curbed.com/2017/10/26/165...ama-investment

Quote:
by Ameena Walker Oct 26, 2017, 5:06pm EDT

Mayor de Blasio is putting forth yet another initiative to preserve the city’s diminishing affordable housing stock. After announcing that his ambitious Housing New York plan to create and preserve 200,000 units of affordable housing by 2024, is on track to be completed two years earlier, the mayor set a new goal of 300,000 affordable apartments by 2026. In order to achieve this, the city will invest $250 million toward preventing subsidized Mitchell-Lama developments from being converted to market-rate apartments, reports the New York Post.

The Mitchell-Lama Reinvestment Program [PDF!], as it has been named, will work to keep over 15,000 subsidized apartments affordable over the next eight years. According to city officials, the money will go toward helping landlords pay to repair aging Mitchell-Lama Housing Development buildings, Patch reports.

Over the past 30 years, nearly 20,000 apartments within the Mitchell-Lama program have chosen to opt out and convert to market-rate housing. In February, residents of the St. James Towers in Clinton Hill had to decide between keeping the building in the program or to allow for privatization, as the Financial District’s Southbridge Towers did. Ultimately, residents voted to remain within the program.
Old November 17th, 2017, 08:06 PM   #279
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

City enacts steeper fines for landlords violating privately owned public space rules

Quote:
BY EMILY NONKO NOV 17, 2017, 9:15AM EST

The City Council passed legislation this week that will slap landlords with steep fines if they mess with their buildings’ privately-owned public spaces, also known as POPS.

The city currently has over 538 POPS attached to 329 different buildings. These types of spaces are often used as a bargaining chip for developers looking to build larger: They dedicate a portion of their property to the city for use as public space, agreeing to provide amenities like bike racks, seating, trees and drinking fountains; in return, the city lets them construct taller or more dense buildings.

But for years, landlords have fell short, or have not complied, on their promises in providing such space. This year Comptroller Scott Stringer audited 333 POPS and discovered that 275 had not been inspected by Department of Buildings in four years, while more than half failed to provide all the required amenities.

One such violator is Donald Trump, who helped bring attention to the issue in 2015 after a black marble bench vanished from the pedestrian atrium of Trump Tower and was replaced with an unapproved sales counter. It has since reappeared, but the Trump Organization was still fined $10,000. In response to the bench drama, three new bills to protect POPS were introduced in the City Council this year, sponsored by Council Members Ben Kallos and Daniel Garodnick.

The bill passed this week requires landlords to provide the amenities promised or face steep fines. Penalties are now $4,000 for the first offense, $10,000 for each additional offense, and a penalty of $250 for each month they fail to deliver.

Other legislation from Council Members Kallos and Garodnick requires additional signage in all POPS detailing amenities and hours of operation, as well as a website for the public to find more information or to register complaints.

A prior report in the Wall Street Journal found that the POPS throughout the city provide about 3.5 million square feet of public space, roughly equivalent to 10 percent of Central Park. (The Municipal Art Society even has a tool to find a POPS near you.) And in exchange, landlords have been given the right to build an additional 23 million square feet, more space than eight Empire State Buildings.
Old November 17th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #280
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Mayor, Council reach deal to expand protections for rent-regulated tenants
Quote:
By SALLY GOLDENBERG 11/17/2017 05:02 AM EST

The City Council and Mayor Bill de Blasio have reached a deal on legislation that would expand protections for rent-regulated tenants who are being harassed by landlords eager to move them out, renovate and charge much higher rents.

The bill, which is being finalized this week after being negotiated for a year, establishes a pilot program mandating that property owners whose buildings have recurring housing code violations, or recently changed ownership, acquire a "certificate of no harassment" in neighborhoods undergoing rezonings as well as targeted low-income neighborhoods. Council member Brad Lander, a Brooklyn Democrat, pushed the administration to commit to expanding the law as part of the Council's approval of an affordable housing policy in 2016.

"When a speculator's plan is to harass the tenants out, demolish [or] gut renovate and bring in tenants who can pay triple the rents, we need a law that prevents their ability to do it," Lander said in an interview.

Currently, the city only requires owners to receive the certificates in one district within the Hell's Kitchen part of Manhattan and single-room occupancy apartments, or SROs.

Since Lander began pushing for the expanded protections, a task force of Council members, city officials, housing advocates and real estate industry representatives have met to hammer out a law that would effect change without overwhelming the housing department by enforcing too broad a requirement.

Lander, who worked in the affordable housing industry before being elected to office, said harassment of tenants is a heightened concern when a traditionally low-cost neighborhood undergoes gentrification. The cycle repeats itself throughout the city: Speculators buy property in anticipation of rising values and find ways to flip rent-stabilized buildings into market-rate apartments.

"Unfortunately for unscrupulous landlords in neighborhoods with rapidly rising rents, harassment is too often part of the business plan," Lander said. "Those can be neighborhoods facing a big up-zoning or facing rapid gentrification. And in those cases, our current anti-harassment tools just don't do enough."

The bill is expected to pass at a Council meeting on Nov. 30, when a rezoning of East Harlem is also slated to get approval. That area would fall under the new program, as would East New York and Far Rockaway — the two other neighborhoods the city has rezoned to enable more residential development.

The other neighborhoods include Highbridge/Grand Concourse, Tremont/Fordham, Kingsbridge Heights/Norwood, Bed Stuy, Bushwick, Brownsville, Morningside Heights/Columbia and Washington Heights.

As more areas are rezoned, they too will be covered by this measure during the pilot program, Lander said.

The legislation takes into account harassment dating back five years prior to filing an application for the certificate.

"We're using every tool we can to fight harassment and keep tenants in their homes," de Blasio spokeswoman Melissa Grace said. "This new bill will help us stop more owners of distressed buildings from pushing out long-time residents."

The bill comes as de Blasio has revamped his housing plan to expand the number of low- and moderately-priced apartments the city will subsidize by 50 percent.

It is also being passed as the Council is working on legislation to create a central database of the legal definitions of tenant harassment, which include denying heat and hot water, performing constant, loud construction and repeatedly filing nonpayment actions against tenants.

The city's housing agency will evaluate the pilot program in 2020.