daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 21st, 2017, 07:40 PM   #21
heatonparkincakes
Poet to the parkin cake

Likes (Received): 1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJD1984 View Post

I think a firm note to Andy Burnham is in order. He is the mayor after all. He must be good for something.

Im getting sick of the little I see every day. You mention the bins. Its shocking. We are supposed to be an international city and the first view people get from the station is over flowing bins and litter all over the ******* place!
Its a local council issue. I dont think bins are GM level responsibility, just the destination of all that collective crap, when its collected and sent to Wigan land fill sites.
heatonparkincakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2017, 09:12 PM   #22
half_empty

Likes (Received): 674

red costs too much.
half_empty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 09:33 PM   #23
AJD1984

Likes (Received): 10882

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatonparkincakes View Post
Its a local council issue. I dont think bins are GM level responsibility, just the destination of all that collective crap, when its collected and sent to Wigan land fill sites.
It will give him something to do because he's done bugger all since he's been elected.

Keith_Andrew, URBANISER liked this post
AJD1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 10:24 PM   #24
Francop50

Likes (Received): 366

Quote:
Question for the architects and engineers. See that Victorian red brick building to the left of the picture. Does it take so much for the designers of this and other buildings to think, oh thats a pretty colour, it looks nice, its looks familiar and there is something essentially Mancunian about that shade, so why dont we at least attempt to build our wonderful new thing a shade not too far from it Gosh it might look sympathetic and almost erm delightful?

Question. I am stumped.

You could not be more right about the red brick university city we live in...

heatonparkincakes liked this post
Francop50 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 12:05 AM   #25
heatonparkincakes
Poet to the parkin cake

Likes (Received): 1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_empty View Post
red costs too much.
I would be not surprised, but also astonished given its basically "Accrington" brickesque in shadings.

Sort of makes me think Johnny architect looks on the jobs they do based on a combination of-

a. Those fvckers (developers) are paying me peanuts so I will give them something cheap and nasty.

b. I WANT TO BE SEEN.!!!!LOOK AT ME!!! I AM DIFFERENT!!! Mummy help mummy!!!!

c. Its grown in a test tube, its knocked up on a Tuesday afternoon and you know if its shyte, who cares, and yeah them crazy Chinese rich boys will just love it as they havent a clue.
heatonparkincakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 01:23 AM   #26
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 26115

Quote:
Question for the architects and engineers. See that Victorian red brick building to the left of the picture. Does it take so much for the designers of this and other buildings to think, oh thats a pretty colour, it looks nice, its looks familiar and there is something essentially Mancunian about that shade, so why dont we at least attempt to build our wonderful new thing a shade not too far from it Gosh it might look sympathetic and almost erm delightful?

Question. I am stumped.
Architects nowadays are shite in comparison to what they used to be.

In Newcastle today for graduation (woop) and walking around the beautiful Grey St - which was all masterplanned and built by one architect (John Dobson) reminded me of how architecture most definitely peaked between 150 and 100 years ago.

Grey St, Newcastle:

Then we rounded the corner into another area of Newcastle which is also being planned and built all at the same time, Science Central - which is a pile of garbage, because most architects nowadays have no class or skill whatsoever and think shite like this is okay:

mooned, AnIco, heatonparkincakes liked this post
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 01:40 AM   #27
AJD1984

Likes (Received): 10882

Looks like Ancient Rome. All Neoclassical that style mate.

Move with the times. Stop living in the past.

Couple of reasons buildings like that aren't built now. Stone masonry skills are sparse and because of that its very expensive; the stone is also very expensive to source and not everyone likes that style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Architects nowadays are shite in comparison to what they used to be.
I'll remind you of that the next time you start drooling over Owen Street or another tower.

Keith_Andrew, Salfordmanc liked this post
AJD1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 01:58 AM   #28
Wub

Likes (Received): 1712

Strip away the classical style and Grey Street is still good: it has enclosure, active frontages, and a clear focus which leads the eye. You could do that in brick vernacular and still get a good result--many English towns bear witness to this.

half_empty, retroscient liked this post
Wub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 04:31 AM   #29
Keith_Andrew

Likes (Received): 2459

Quote:

Looks like Ancient Rome. All Neoclassical that style mate.

Move with the times. Stop living in the past.

Couple of reasons buildings like that aren't built now. Stone masonry skills are sparse and because of that its very expensive; the stone is also very expensive to source and not everyone likes that style.

I'll remind you of that the next time you start drooling over Owen Street or another tower.
^

My favourite building on earth is the Town Hall, but the Civic Justice Centre runs it pretty close. Modern buildings can be just as majestic and imposing as old.
Keith_Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 12:16 PM   #30
URBANISER

Likes (Received): 328

The old designs weren't hampered by the mass of building regulations we have today. I doubt they could be built to pass all the green requirements without huge cost, what about disability access and grade A office specifications? Vertically impossible today in practical terms IMO.

AbidM, Lozzaboy liked this post
URBANISER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2017, 11:41 AM   #31
Handinglove

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBANISER View Post
The old designs weren't hampered by the mass of building regulations we have today. I doubt they could be built to pass all the green requirements without huge cost, what about disability access and grade A office specifications? Vertically impossible today in practical terms IMO.
I'd say it wasn't just architecture that peaked about 150 and 100 years ago, but ambition too.
Handinglove no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2017, 12:31 PM   #32
Master_Builder

Likes (Received): 7487

Quote:
It will give him something to do because he's done bugger all since he's been elected.
Bar having to deal with the aftermath of the Manchester's terror attack.

mooned, marcojose liked this post
Master_Builder está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2017, 01:08 PM   #33
Master_Builder

Likes (Received): 7487

Quote:
The Red brick you mention is Swan building. I expect it will be demolished within the next decade along with all the other non listed antediluvian buildings in the area.

And I expect lousy and uninspired accommodation blocks similar to the one being discussed to take their places.

All the plots either side of Cable Street will be targeted for 'cheap' accommodation. Despite the crappy architecture they will actually deliver affordable housing in a well positioned area of the city.
Master_Builder está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote