daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2017, 04:31 PM   #1
AC1
Alex

Likes (Received): 2900

20-36 High Street

CEG (Commercial Estates Group) are holding a public consultation for the site of 20-36 High Street, Manchester on Wednesday 26th July 2017 between 3pm and 8pm.

Key bullet points:

• Deliver inspiring and high quality architecture.

• Provide vibrant independent shops, cafes, bars and stalls on the ground floor with attractive seating areas in a ground floor atrium.

• Improve access through this atrium, providing activity and new connections through to Birchin Lane and into the Northern Quarter, whilst simultaneously repairing the historic urbain grain.

• Create a safe, family friendly environment where families can live and visit with a well lit and appealing ground floor public plaza.

• Create an attractive and characterful area by improving the local environment.

They describe the site as being "dilapidated, constrained and reaching the end of its economic life."

The current buildings would be "too difficult and unviable to adapt", meaning definite demolition.

Looking forward to seeing the plans. About time we saw this being redeveloped. This site has actually irritated me more than any other in central Manchester for its lack of redevelopment.

Some previous CEG projects below

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2017, 04:51 PM   #2
Master_Builder

Likes (Received): 7433

Thank god! One of the crappiest buildings in Manchester!!
Old July 13th, 2017, 04:59 PM   #3
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 26092

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Builder View Post
Thank god! One of the crappiest buildings in Manchester!!
On the crappiest street in Manchester.

Really hope this provides a catalyst for the rest of the street. A really decent site to be fair - in the Northern Quarter, doorstep of Market St, near both main stations and Metrolink nearby. If only Manchester's shopping district wasn't such a shit'ole this would've been developed a long long time ago.

Potentially a tall building here? Probably the only NQ site where a tall building would be appropriate

rolybling, Slow Burn, mooned, LifeMan, GShutty liked this post
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 05:05 PM   #4
Chorltonred

Likes (Received): 1053

Would be my number one site for a 300m tower as it seems to be just about the highest point in Manchester centre!

Fat chance though.

Very glad as I hate this section of town. Hope they clean up the Arndale on the corner of Market Street whilst they are at it.
Chorltonred no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 05:12 PM   #5
InterMancStudent

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
If only Manchester's shopping district wasn't such a shit'ole this would've been developed a long long time ago.
Not necessarily a shithole; New Cathedral Street and Deansgate are quite nice, it's the other side with the lower-end stores (Debenhams, Primark, etc..) that lets the side down

Hopefully, this development will help lift up that area
InterMancStudent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 05:13 PM   #6
Master_Builder

Thought I recognised that building - Kirkstall Forge. I've been keeping tabs on that development over on the Leeds thread as I used to live in Kirkstall not so long back.

It's an impressive scheme. Glad CEG are covering this.

GShutty liked this post
Master_Builder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 05:27 PM   #7
rolybling
Less is more.

Likes (Received): 1557

YES! I think we'll get something quite tall here, they seem to want quite a lot of different uses in one building and the site isn't huge so I assume they'll be going upwards in order to achieve that.
Old July 13th, 2017, 05:53 PM   #8
dd79

Likes (Received): 300

Apologies in advance for the rant because I know there's demand but almost everything is residential at the minute, we've lost the office tower at St Michaels so is that a sign of a slowdown to come or is there just not the demand? I often wonder, once they fill these tens of thousands of city core homes that are either under construction or in development, where all these people are going to work?

Anyway, for here it's got to be tall. The main fear is that ambition will be stunted because of the tram lines, crappy car park, dog end of the Arndale and general all round hanging mess that is High Street right now. Hopefully not, it should be a prime location and perhaps the catalyst to getting this part of town up to scratch.

InterMancStudent, Schooner liked this post
dd79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 06:15 PM   #9
Master_Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd79 View Post
Apologies in advance for the rant because I know there's demand but almost everything is residential at the minute, we've lost the office tower at St Michaels so is that a sign of a slowdown to come or is there just not the demand?
Isn't the low rise on the right in this image intended to be entirely Office bar the ground floor which is retail?

Master_Builder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 06:34 PM   #10
dd79

Likes (Received): 300

I think so but it's 9 floors I believe as opposed to 105m of pure office tower. May be unnecessarily getting my kecks in a twist because I don't know whether or how much of a reduction in square footage there is, I think it's just the psychological statement a tall office tower makes for a city...
dd79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 06:35 PM   #11
AJD1984

Likes (Received): 10779

Quote:
Apologies in advance for the rant because I know there's demand but almost everything is residential at the minute, we've lost the office tower at St Michaels so is that a sign of a slowdown to come or is there just not the demand? I often wonder, once they fill these tens of thousands of city core homes that are either under construction or in development, where all these people are going to work?
scratch.
Theres a 9 storey office block proposed for St Michaels with 15,000 sq ft floor plates. Thats a 135,000 sq ft office block. Hardly a scale down.
AJD1984 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 06:36 PM   #12
Jinkies!

Likes (Received): 251

I thought I read that they were gaining office space at St Michael's through the design changes? The office in the old scheme may have been tall, but the floorplates were diddly – just one of the reasons why it never made sense to me.

I know this isn't going to be a well-received opinion by many, but I quite like the current building. It's uncared for and from an unpopular period in architectural history, but it's got a certain expressiveness to it. The fact it doesn't provide a huge amount of floorspace considering the size of the footprint probably meant it was always a likely candidate to be replaced at some point.

Looking forward to seeing the proposals – hope they're good!

AJD1984, PotreroHill, dd79, hulmeman2 liked this post
Jinkies! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #13
PotreroHill

Likes (Received): 1937

Yeah, it's actually a pretty good building, in shape form at least (not keen on the 70's shopping precinct cladding).
But this area is such a dire state that if something pretty special parks up I think the neighbours must up it's game. It's the Arndale (again) and its car park which is the major issue.
The link between the Arndale entrance on High Street to the NQ is one of the worse examples you'll ever see.

Jinkies! liked this post
PotreroHill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 06:53 PM   #14
AC1
Alex

Likes (Received): 2900

A tall or "super tall" would make a great statement here. It was only a few days ago that I wrote a piece on here about how dreadful this section of the city is, and how it needs a new lease of life.

What tall buildings do visitors to the city see in Manchester? What buildings do they see that really give off that major European city vibe? None. Owen St/Trinity/Greengate are all on the periphery. The tall buildings which get noticed by the majority of visitors (most people who visit do so to shop) are City Tower and Arndale House. They certainly make a statement. The wrong kind though. Makes Manchester look smalltime and stuck in the 70s.

EVERY visitor to the city (or at least 90%) would see this building if it was tall. Imagine a 200m whopper here. A tall, slender, gleaming glass tower. Mouth watering. A combination of retail, leisure, office, hotel and residential would be perfect. Such a statement build would surely spur Intu et al to sort out their abysmal side of High Street which has to be the worst one sided stretch of road in central Manchester.

Don't let us down CEG.

Unfortunately, I can't see anything taller than 60-70m here.

Then again, surely you could charge a fair amount more per square foot of residential space in a tower here than in say Owen Street or Trinity Islands? It's closer to the main stations, on the doorstep of the main retail district and the Northern Quarter too. Plus imagine the views from the 10th floor upwards on this. They'd be stunning.

PotreroHill, dd79, boyaloud liked this post
AC1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 06:59 PM   #15
PotreroHill

Likes (Received): 1937

I know exactly what you're thinking...

AC1, RalphGuy, mr.tinchai liked this post
PotreroHill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 07:44 PM   #16
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 26092

Quote:
I think so but it's 9 floors I believe as opposed to 105m of pure office tower. May be unnecessarily getting my kecks in a twist because I don't know whether or how much of a reduction in square footage there is, I think it's just the psychological statement a tall office tower makes for a city...
The company I work for conducted a CBR on the office element of the previous scheme and concluded it was no near where viable - which is, to be fair, what the late Lookin Up said about Manchester. Difficult to justify an office block in central Manchester over 20 storeys, for the next few years at least.

We have a large pipeline of office in Manchester, and a healthy amount about to start construction. I wouldn't worry too much about a slow down really

dd79 liked this post
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 08:33 PM   #17
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 31034

I love this construction boom city.

You go to bed at 10am. Doing nights for 2 weeks. You get up at 5pm. And there's another proposal and public exhibition.

Hopefully there will be a draw for one lucky person to swing the first wrecking ball at this arse end of a boil that has blighted High Street and the NQ for decades.

Not bothered about height. Just want a nice proposal/building to fill this large plot, in a very prominent position.

On ceg's website.

Keith_Andrew liked this post
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 11:24 PM   #18
H0wie72

Likes (Received): 108

City won't allow tall buildings in this area adjacent to northern quarter. Probably be mid height residential.
H0wie72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 11:30 PM   #19
Cpt. Skyrise

Likes (Received): 57

Wise words jrb.
Cpt. Skyrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2017, 12:08 AM   #20
AJD1984

Likes (Received): 10779

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0wie72 View Post
City won't allow tall buildings in this area adjacent to northern quarter. Probably be mid height residential.
Tallest it will be if it is a tower is Arndale Tower height.

I'm a bit dubious though cause all it mentions is ground floor retail, an atrium and public realm. Could be a missed opportunity.
AJD1984 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote