daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > New York City

New York City » Manhattan | Brooklyn & Staten Island | Queens & Bronx | NYC Suburbs, Long Island & SW CT | photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2007, 03:22 PM   #41
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

throughout the history of the NYC subway system, had there ever been a plan to link Staten Island with the other four boroughs? How about when the planning went into for the VNB?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2007, 08:35 PM   #42
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
throughout the history of the NYC subway system, had there ever been a plan to link Staten Island with the other four boroughs? How about when the planning went into for the VNB?
There was plan many years ago, I think around the 1920's when tunnel was started on one of the sides, but it was stopped for political or economic reasons. Don't really remember.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:57 PM   #43
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/loca...p-421095c.html
All aboard new 7 plan

BY PETE DONOHUE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

The TA feels your pain, No. 7 train riders - and they're going to do something about it.

After thousands of New Yorkers were delayed and confused by the partial shutdown of the Flushing line last weekend, top transit officials disclosed they will immediately overhaul the plan.

The extensive revisions follow Daily News articles detailing how riders were tripped up by a shoddy public information campaign, which included incorrect directions and hard-to-find bus stops for shuttle service.

"We can do better," acting Transit Authority President Millard (Butch) Seay conceded yesterday.

Some of the changes include:

Boosting the number of service-disruption announcements at stations and on subway trains.

Putting more and better-informed Transit Authority personnel in stations to help lost and confused riders.

Alerting riders that they can board No.7 trains, and get off Manhattan-bound trains at the 69th St. and 61st St. stations. The TA has been telling riders that trains weren't running between Times Square and 74th St./Broadway.

Better publicize increased E and F train service on the affected weekends.

Increasing the number of supervisors to improve coordination of TA efforts.

Additional training and better info packets for bus drivers, station agents and other workers on the disruptions and travel options.
The TA is upgrading the tracks, signals and switching system on the Flushing line, requiring the weekend suspension of trains in Manhattan, and on a stretch deep into Queens. The shutdown will continue for five more weekends.

Elliot Sander, the new head of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, and Seay checked on TA efforts Monday.

"If you look at the amount of equipment we had deployed, the overall number of people assigned and given the complexity of the operation, I thought it was a good effort," Sander said. "But there clearly were shortcomings that needed to be addressed."

Those included the distribution of brochures in subway stations that incorrectly told riders to take the E train to 53rd St./Lexington Ave., and an uptown No. 6 train to Grand Central - even though Grand Central is at 42nd St.

Riders also were told at several stations and on trains Saturday to take shuttle buses. But they then wandered around in the cold because they weren't given clear directions where to catch those buses, The News reported.

"I'm very encouraged by the quick response from the MTA," Councilman Eric Gioia (D-Queens) said. "For years, my complaints fell on deaf ears. I'm encouraged the new leadership is taking the people of Queens seriously. Over the past week, the Daily News and the people of Queens made it very clear that what was taking place was unacceptable."

Originally published on February 21, 2007
Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:37 AM   #44
Ibague

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873 View Post
um, our MTA system is over a century old (lemme break it down, thats over 100 years), and its the largest fleet in the world. annual ridership is 3rd or 4th in the world. you really dont think theyre doing anything about it? do some research, the MTA isnt quite exactly the easiest to maintain given its size and age. what the **** do you want buddy?

There are very old and masive systems in other big cities as well (London, Moscow, Buenos Aires, etc), that maintain stations and facilities in really good shape. The fact that the system is big, runs 24/7, etc., is not an excuse to have those scary/disgusting stations you see all over NYC. If the system mobilizes million of passengers that actually pay for the service, what is happening with that money?

NYC subway system looks like stone age compared with the other megacities in the world, and there is no doubt about it.
Ibague no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #45
ramvid01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibague View Post
There are very old and masive systems in other big cities as well (London, Moscow, Buenos Aires, etc), that maintain stations and facilities in really good shape. The fact that the system is big, runs 24/7, etc., is not an excuse to have those scary/disgusting stations you see all over NYC. If the system mobilizes million of passengers that actually pay for the service, what is happening with that money?

NYC subway system looks like stone age compared with the other megacities in the world, and there is no doubt about it.
Scary? Theres nothing scary about the subway stations and they are also not disgusting. Also, you fail to realize that this country cares less about mass transportation than it does having a good health care system (and thats saying a lot). That coupled with the fact that the MTA is underfunded by the state and by the federal government makes things exponentially worse.

And dont bring up different countries either. Unlike those countries, we are completely car oriented. London survives because of it's rail system, Moscow was a communist state where money would be used to provide works of arts to be proud of and the same can be said of Buenos Aires. The fact is, it has nothing to do with not wanting a clean system, but more to do with the fact that there isn't the money there to do it. Besides, I would be bothered if everything were clean; I kind of like a little bit of grit or else a city gets boring.
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #46
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

Subway ridership highest in 55 years

By Chuck Bennett, amNewYork Staff Writer
February 23, 2007

Not since the days when President Harry Truman was in office has New York City had so many subway riders.

Ridership last year hit its highest levels since 1952, with 1.5 billion trips, according to data obtained Thursday by amNewYork.

When buses are factored in, ridership hits 2.2 billion, the highest since 1969, when the fare was 20 cents and the Mets won their first championship.

Average weekday ridership, meanwhile, hit 7.2 million, a 1.9% jump from 2005.

Transit officials said the continued gain stems from the city's strong economy and the growing popularity of discounted MetroCards.

The average fare when bonus rides and unlimited passes are factored in is $1.29. Almost 85 percent of all riders use some form of discounted cards and nearly half use weekly or monthly unlimited MetroCards.

The Brooklyn segment of the N line saw the most growth, a 13 percent increase for an estimated total of 12 million trips.

Officials credited population growth in the neighborhoods served by the line along with faster trips along the Manhattan Bridge.

New York City Transit is also testing its brand new high-tech R160 trains along the N.

Significant increases of between 6 and 8 percent were reported along the White Plains Road segment of the No. 2 and 5 lines, the Myrtle Avenue section of the M line, and the Central Park West portion of the A, B, C an D lines.

Bus ridership, which dropped significantly during the crime-ridden decades of the 1960s and 1970s, hasn't seen as dramatic a comeback. Last year there were 741 million bus trips, a .7% increase over 2005. Weekend bus ridership actually declined to 2.5 million trips, about 47,000 less than 2005.

Trips, Percent Increase Over 2005

Total Average Weekday Ridership 7.2 million +1.9%

Total Subway Ridership
1.5 billion trips +3.4 %

Total Bus Ridership
741 million trips +0.7 %

Copyright 2007 Newsday Inc.
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #47
TalB
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
There was plan many years ago, I think around the 1920's when tunnel was started on one of the sides, but it was stopped for political or economic reasons. Don't really remember.
This doesn't say exactly what year, but it does give the reason to why Staten Island never got a subway.
http://www.nycsubway.org/lines/4thave.html
Planned Expansion to Staten Island

The original Dual Contracts plan provided for a tunnel under the Narrows from southern Brooklyn/Bay Ridge to Staten Island. The tunnel was intended to leave the 4th Avenue subway at 65th St, Brooklyn, and would have entered Staten Island midway between St. George and Stapleton, and would have had branches to each. The 4th Avenue subway has four tracks between 59th and 65th Streets, two of which were intended for the Staten Island connection.

The Staten Island link might have been built in several different ways. It is likely that a full 4-track subway to Fort Hamilton would only have made sense if it led to a Narrows tunnel. A different plan, which got as far as engineering drawings and even some excavation, would have left the subway just south of 59th St, and you can see tunnel stub headings running straight from the local tracks immediately south of the station. Several different plans were drawn up for the Narrows tunnel, including a two track and a four track option.

Recent discussions of a railroad freight tunnel across New York Harbor from New Jersey via Staten Island may once again bring about discussion of connecting the subway to Staten Island. It is likely that any tunnel built would be designed to tie into the LIRR's Bay Ridge Branch across southern Brooklyn to East New York, Fresh Pond, and via the New York Connecting Railroad to the Hell Gate Bridge.
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #48
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6985

Quote:
Moscow was a communist state where money would be used to provide works of arts to be proud of and the same can be said of Buenos Aires.
indeed you know nothing about ussr...

imperial style was used in MM only in 40's - early 50's. in 30's it was art deco. late 50's to early 70's was the time of money saving. so most of station are very typical (but still built with taste). mid 70's - late 90's it was a time of somehow good architecture. now it's time of very good architecture.
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #49
ramvid01

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
indeed you know nothing about ussr...

imperial style was used in MM only in 40's - early 50's. in 30's it was art deco. late 50's to early 70's was the time of money saving. so most of station are very typical (but still built with taste). mid 70's - late 90's it was a time of somehow good architecture. now it's time of very good architecture.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I'm talking about upkeep not the architecture per say. The lack of upkeep during the 60' 70' and 80's has lead to the crumbling of the NYC system during that period. They are trying to renovate the system, but because of the system wide decay it will take at least another 20 years before they reach the rest of the system. When I spoke about the MM, what I meant was there was the money to upkeep prior stations, unlike what happened here. I wasn't necessarily talking the architecture, I was talking about the money to maintain the system in a good state. And no, I do not know the history of the MM, but I'm sure there was more money there to fund that system than there was here.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:08 AM   #50
Taylorhoge

Likes (Received): 10

I jus hope they keep wokring on the second avenue subway idk how they will get around the midtown tunnel though
Taylorhoge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:19 PM   #51
Lili
The Original is The Best

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I'm talking about upkeep not the architecture per say. The lack of upkeep during the 60' 70' and 80's has lead to the crumbling of the NYC system during that period. They are trying to renovate the system, but because of the system wide decay it will take at least another 20 years before they reach the rest of the system. When I spoke about the MM, what I meant was there was the money to upkeep prior stations, unlike what happened here. I wasn't necessarily talking the architecture, I was talking about the money to maintain the system in a good state. And no, I do not know the history of the MM, but I'm sure there was more money there to fund that system than there was here.
The last time I went to the King Kong ride in Universal Studios, the New York subway was depicted in such a moribund, decaying state. I think that was reminiscent of NY subway in the 70s. I don't know if they still have this ride.

Xocóatl is my elixir.
Lili no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:45 PM   #52
sightlessgod
хаос = порядок

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibague View Post
Why is it that a city like NY can not mantain and keep clean, organized and modern the subway stations?

NYC subway system for the most part looks like the subway system of a fourth world country...

Don't the politicians see that the subway is taken by tourist from all over the world?

Sometimes/somewheres the US seems to be a third or fourth world country

I agree.
Surely NYC SUBWAY must generate a lot of money and be able to afford to atleast to make an effort to keep their subway clean.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:51 AM   #53
ramvid01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightlessgod View Post
I agree.
Surely NYC SUBWAY must generate a lot of money and be able to afford to atleast to make an effort to keep their subway clean.
How many times do I have to explain this? It may generate a lot of money but guess who manages this money? NY State, and we don't get all the money the subway generates. In fact it's underfunded and used for other purposes, so no it doesn't have the money to afford it.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 07:22 AM   #54
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
How many times do I have to explain this? It may generate a lot of money but guess who manages this money? NY State, and we don't get all the money the subway generates. In fact it's underfunded and used for other purposes, so no it doesn't have the money to afford it.
... and people could take part by not littering onto the tracks.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:12 PM   #55
ramvid01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgadv02 View Post
... and people could take part by not littering onto the tracks.
Now thats wishful thinking hehe.
Old March 4th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #56
TalB
Refugee

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03022007...ionalnews_.htm
WEEKEND SUBWAY GUIDE

March 2, 2007 -- 2 train: No trains between Atlantic Avenue and Chambers Street

3 train: No trains running

5 train: Uptown 2 replaces 5 train from Bowling Green to 149th Street

7 train: No trains between Times Square and 74th Street in Jackson Heights. Shuttle buses to Roosevelt Avenue and Queens Plaza will be available.

C train: No trains running. Take the A or E instead

G train: No trains between 71st-Continental Avenue and Court Square. (In effect starting tonight at 8:30 p.m.)

6 train: Runs express from Parkchester to Hunts Point Avenue

A train: Brooklyn bound trains run on the F line between West 4th and Jay Streets. Uptown trains skip Spring, 23rd and 50th Streets

E train: Uptown trains skip Spring, 23rd and 50th Streets. Manhattan trains skip Van Wyck Blvd

All changes are from 12:01 a.m. Saturday until 5 a.m. Monday unless otherwise noted.
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #57
New Jack City
User

Likes (Received): 45

The new R160 trains on the N line are amazing, I'm impressed. They're like the 6, only newer and seem wider. They also have a mini-video screen, eventually they show pictures of every stop.

http://www.subwaynut.com/rollingstock/r160/index.html
New Jack City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #58
Taylorhoge

Likes (Received): 10

really nice I gotta check that out then.
Taylorhoge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #59
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18149

Those R160 interiors look just like the new A trains.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #60
TalB
Refugee

Honestly, I couldn't care less about new subway cars, just if it's working correctly is what really matters.

Tags
metro