search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2017, 06:19 PM   #7681
Sainton

Likes (Received): 64

So thats what it must be like to live inside a whale carcass.
Sainton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2017, 06:53 PM   #7682
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIsland View Post
According to the Downtown Alliance quarterly report, the entrance will open closer to the end of this year. Also, the entrance to the 1 train will not be opening until the middle of next year. Which is strange because they've taken down signage from the entrance to reveal the new glass doors. Oh well, every thing takes 1,000 years to finish here.
It doesn't take nearly a year to open two entrances that had been built nearly a year ago (for the R/W). Something else is going on...

I predict that the Cortlandt 1 station will open on July 1st, 2018, marking its centennial celebration to the very day (and second rebuilding).
Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:33 PM   #7683
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
It doesn't take nearly a year to open two entrances that had been built nearly a year ago (for the R/W). Something else is going on...

I predict that the Cortlandt 1 station will open on July 1st, 2018, marking its centennial celebration to the very day (and second rebuilding).
I agree, but what could be going on that would cause such a delay to open two entrances that are most likely ready to be opened at this very moment?

As far as the 1 line opening I'm not shocked with the shit show its been getting this thing done from the beginning. I'm just excited for the day when that area is 100% complete and running.
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 03:42 PM   #7684
Oasis-Bangkok
Ploy and Palm Family

Likes (Received): 40120

One World Trade Center_2016 12 23_0078 by Harvey Barrison, on Flickr

Over the 1WTC -- Flying over New York at Night by Tucpasquic, on Flickr

Last edited by Oasis-Bangkok; March 9th, 2017 at 08:22 AM.
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #7685
Oasis-Bangkok
Ploy and Palm Family

Likes (Received): 40120

WTC mall by Payton Chung, on Flickr

IMG_0600 by Phil, on Flickr

WTC mall by Payton Chung, on Flickr

IMG_0598 by Phil, on Flickr

Qtya, mrsmartman, XGADGET, roydex, zahid111 and 1 others liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 03:03 PM   #7686
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 727

I wish they would add a few benches, grenery, fancy sofas and such in the mall to make it a bit less sterile and more wamr and compfy.

bodegavendetta, mrsmartman liked this post
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 05:36 PM   #7687
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 714

I would imagine Westfield is ultimately responsible for that?
I guess they will begin outfitting some of the space, as time goes on (e.g. they indeed decide to maintain their lease, long-term).
Old March 13th, 2017, 08:04 PM   #7688
germantower
i ♥ NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I would imagine Westfield is ultimately responsible for that?
I guess they will begin outfitting some of the space, as time goes on (e.g. they indeed decide to maintain their lease, long-term).
How long is their lease at the trade centre right now?
Old March 13th, 2017, 11:54 PM   #7689
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 3664

^https://therealdeal.com/2016/05/26/w...ayed-wtc-mall/

Westfield bought a 99 year lease of the original mall just a few weeks before September 11th. They have a 50% stake in the new mall, and the other 50% belonged to the Port Authority, until their part was bought by Westfield for $800 million in 2013. This gives them full control of the mall portion until around August 2100 and half control for much longer. However, they are controlled by the rules from the Port Authority regarding safety and security paranoia as to where a Device could possibly be hidden, so it is highly unlikely that any seating or trash cans would ever show up out of fear that they could be used for nefarious purposes. It is for that same reason that there is not a single trash can within the entire PATH system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

137+ Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

See my DeviantArt account at
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 11:02 AM   #7690
germantower
i ♥ NY

Ugh, this is very intense and stupid. Not like anyone who wanna harm this landmark area could just wear a bomb vest.

I think in regard to safety they are going too far at the new WTC. All this measures at the streets, all this scanning vehicles and such. It just makes this area feel more like a forstress and like 911 was a full success for Al Qaeda.

You can certainly limit certain threat aspects and reduce the risk, but there is no way to fully avoid new terror attacks here. And measures like baning trash cans just limits comfort in the mall and subway system. And a possible ban of furniture inside makes this area less inviting.
Old March 14th, 2017, 10:36 PM   #7691
ThomasK2001

Likes (Received): 562

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
Ugh, this is very intense and stupid. Not like anyone who wanna harm this landmark area could just wear a bomb vest.

I think in regard to safety they are going too far at the new WTC. All this measures at the streets, all this scanning vehicles and such. It just makes this area feel more like a forstress and like 911 was a full success for Al Qaeda.

You can certainly limit certain threat aspects and reduce the risk, but there is no way to fully avoid new terror attacks here. And measures like baning trash cans just limits comfort in the mall and subway system. And a possible ban of furniture inside makes this area less inviting.
I don't think we want another 9/11 pal
ThomasK2001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 11:48 PM   #7692
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 401

I don't think a few backless benches would increase the risk of bombings ... heck maybe just make the benches a solid piece of marble ... just SOMEWHERE that people already in the building can sit down ...

Any bomb brought in would do the same damage if the person carrying it was standing up or sitting down. You aren't changing the danger level by adding some benches.

Gerard91 liked this post
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 03:36 PM   #7693
germantower
i ♥ NY

They should ban backpacks in the station too. The bomb could be in it.
Old March 15th, 2017, 08:48 PM   #7694
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 323

They should ban people in the station too, they might carry a bomb in...

At some point the paranoia just gets ridiculous.
uakoops está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 06:34 AM   #7695
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1377

Would anyone happen to have expert critique of why the Oculus is shopping-oriented to the detriment of rail passengers? Please provide a link if you have one.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 07:44 AM   #7696
robbie42

Likes (Received): 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
Agreed. There are a number of places where they could put a narrow marble ledge to sit on. As far as a hiding place for bombs, let security keep an eye out (isn't that what they're there for?). And transparent trash cans exist, but maybe they just don't want to bother emptying them...
robbie42 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 12:45 PM   #7697
BoerumHillScott

Likes (Received): 10

How is it to the detriment of rail passengers?
I use it every day, and don't see how the shopping aspects hurt my commute any.

The only thing that would make my commute easier would be electron signage in the Path Hall telling me when the next trains were leaving and on what platform, and this information is only really useful for people going to Exchange Place.

For the record, there are benches at the platform level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Would anyone happen to have expert critique of why the Oculus is shopping-oriented to the detriment of rail passengers? Please provide a link if you have one.
BoerumHillScott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 01:10 PM   #7698
germantower
i ♥ NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie42 View Post
Agreed. There are a number of places where they could put a narrow marble ledge to sit on. As far as a hiding place for bombs, let security keep an eye out (isn't that what they're there for?). And transparent trash cans exist, but maybe they just don't want to bother emptying them...

Good point, i guess "security measures" can be a good excuse to save a dime here and another there.

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc