daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.76 average.
Old September 28th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #1
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 247

Chambers Wharf | Southwark | 14 fl | U/C

Now that demolition has started, I think it's time Chambers Wharf got its own thread (there was one once, but it was started by some nimby who opposed the scheme, and it headed rapidly off-topic, so I'm counting that as a false start). Previous updates on the South East London thread.

These former 1930s-built cold stores occupy a large (nearly 4 acres) derelict site, very close to one of the most expensive residential areas in central London (Shad Thames), and walking distance from Bermondsey tube (one stop to London Bridge, two to Canary Wharf). The site has been largely derelict since the 1980s, and has often been used for gritty / run-down / 70s urban locations in crime dramas etc. It currently creates a major obstacle to the Thames Path.

There are some great pictures like this at www.derelictlondon.com.

Now St Martin's (aka the Kuwaiti sovereign wealth fund) is very kindly pumping lots of its credit-crunch-proof oil money into a mostly residential, high-quality development - 596 new homes (of which 189 will be "affordable"), plus some shops and a little office space.

The scheme, designed by Ian Simpson, comprises 6 buildings, the tallest of which will rise to 14 storeys. The Thames Path will be opened up, and a row of 13 helical wind turbines along the river front will be the most conspicuous part of the development's environmental credentials.

Official website is www.chambers-wharf.co.uk

Southwark's planning committee gave the thumbs up on 1 July 2008. Demolition has started in September 2008, and seems to be expected to run till spring 2009.

I believe there will then be an archaeological dig before construction gets under way in earnest, which with any luck will be in the latter half of 2009, though I doubt we'll see anything much above ground before 2010.

Planning info on Southwark's site here.

Last edited by Officer Dibble; September 28th, 2008 at 11:12 PM.
Officer Dibble no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 28th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #2
SELondoner

Likes (Received): 12

I regularly walk through here, and part of me can't wait for the desolate stretch of Thames Path to be sorted out and the walkway completed, but a part of me will miss what is probably the last part of 'old docklands' left. The archeological dig, incidentally started before the demo so is running in tandem and won't necessarily hold things up.

Worth noting that filming was still going on very recently, not just in the 70s/80s, with a crew there in the summer with a big shoot. Also earlier this year I went to LA for the first time; by coincidence, in the home of Hollywood, we went to the cinema and saw a British film, the Bank Job. Imagine my surprise when, having left SE16 long behind, I saw it on the screen, as some of The Bank Job was filmed at Chambers Wharf!
SELondoner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #3
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 238

I wonder how much it would cost to buy just one of those wind turbines?

Is it pure coincidence that a mans Scrotum resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #4
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Just went for a little walk....

The view from Rotherhithe

From just east of the site

Chambers Street

From just west of the site

The view west from Chambers Wharf
Old September 28th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #5
Brightonboi
Rule Britannia !

Likes (Received): 4

This looks like a 60s concrete block but using glass instead, Im sure the same designs would of been around 40 years ago the only difference is now there using glass.
Brightonboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #6
jimbo

Likes (Received): 5

excellent thread and very important development. Smoggie and I saw the public exhibition sometime last year, and were impressed, despite the lack of retention of the cold store bit. Nice to see a bit of action underway now.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #7
Delegado

My time has come!!

I have been hoarding some snippets on the area...first off, some history.

East Lane still exists, although it exists as two seperate streets (with the same name) today. A small part of East lane borders the west side of the Chambers Wharf site, and the other part exists in the Dickens Estate near Jamaica road.

Rope Walks is noteworthy, as very long sheds existed in which, you'll never guess, ropes were made. These border the Eastern side of the site.

In this next map, George Row still exists. Another point of reference is Cherry Garden Pier, which is between the Angel Pub and Chambers Wharf. Tower Bridge has been built too.

Now for some photos....

The area had always been a bit of a swamp/cess pit (some surburbians would argue it still is!). Jacobs Island, around where New Providence Wharf has been built was especially horrible. Dickens' most deprived characters were apparently inspired by residents of these parts.

Consequently, slum clearance occurred, and there doesn't seem to be that many nice buildings to preserve, when compared to Shad Thames or Rotherhithe. There was a reference to the Ship Aground pub in the map above, which is still there today.

Bermondsey Wall used to be one road. It is now divided into two parts. Here is a shot of Bermondsey Wall West taken from the top of Mill Street, looking towards Chambers Wharf. The white building survives on the corner of George Row and Bermondsey Wall West.

These buildings below were converted, and I believe John Cleese was hung out of one of these windows in 'A fish called Wanda'!

And now for a bit of colour.....the area in 1983.... It looks like the place has been pretty desacrated and is in need of regeneration, it's incredible it's taken 30 years.

.....and the not too distant future....

Officer Dibble liked this post
Delegado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #8
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Fantastic post, thank you Delegado.

A couple more links to add to the party:

More derelict pics from 28dayslater, urban75 and derelicte.

The BBC, I'm not sure why, has a 360º panorama from under the Wharf.

SSN gives building heights (and I wonder if a kindly mod could add 46m to the thread title).

And a reminder of this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Dibble View Post
Evening Standard's Homes & Property website has this feature on Chambers Wharf, including bits on other developments around. [..]

At the moment, the Thames Path comes to an abrupt stop at the wharf. But redevelopment will create a continuous riverside promenade linking the terraced restaurants and cafés of Shad Thames with Rotherhithe’s historic waterfront. A houseboat community just west of Chambers Wharf will remain and the Environment Agency is insisting that this stretch of the Thames foreshore becomes a nature reserve.

Housing will be spread across six modern buildings ranging up to 14 storeys high. Such is the size of the existing wharf that demolition will take at least a year. James Hyman of estate agent Cluttons says now is a good time to buy into the area, which is up to a third cheaper than next-door Shad Thames.

“The Chambers Wharf redevelopment will extend the radius of fashionable Shad Thames by a mile or so, giving a boost to properties on the eastern side near Bermondsey Jubilee line Tube station.” [...]

“Chambers Wharf will provide an architectural lift and also improve local amenities because there will be commercial and retail space at street level.” [...]

Private housing is sprouting up in nearby. Regeneration at 50-acre Bermondsey Spa, which is cut off from Shad Thames by busy Jamaica Road, is another project making an impact. Southwark council is spearheading redevelopment of 21 separate sites: [...] 2,000 new mixed-tenure homes are to be built as well as shops, GP surgeries, an upgraded park and gardens and loft-style offices.

St Martin's themselves have sent out a newsletter celebrating planning permission, which quotes the Homes & Property feature. Theres a pdf of the newsletter here. Mostly familiar stuff, although this "target development timeline" is very interesting (well, it is to me):

Sept 08 - Mar 09: demolition of existing buildings
Mar 09 - 2010: design development and market assessment
Summer 2010: new residential scheme works start
Summer 2010 - 2013: apartments become available for sale
2013: anticipated completion date of the Chambers Wharf development
Let's have another pic: this is from Cartoonist on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Officer Dibble; September 29th, 2008 at 02:57 AM.
Old September 29th, 2008, 12:59 AM   #9
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

We're not spoiled for choice of renders. I think we're only missing one:

And while we're on p1 of the thread, we might as well get the two usual ones full-size.

Old September 29th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #10
fitz44

Likes (Received): 13

Now that's how how to start a thread - great work everyone!

fitz44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #11
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1576

I don't know what is going to pull people down from Shad Thames to this area, but it's good that the riverside walkway is an integral part of the project.

I still think there could have been maybe something more touristy or cultural put here or integrated into the proposal to attract South Bank walkers further down this way.

I wonder if this could have been a possible site for Ken's 'iconic riverside theatre' that he was proposing as an election pledge, alas we shall never know. I'm sure he could have had words with the developer to maybe have something sited here on the edge of the river with Tower Bridge and the City skyline as stage backdrop.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #12
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

I think simply walking along the river front is probably attraction enough for many - as is the case with many seafront promenades. East Bermondsey and Rotherhithe can be Hove to Waterloo-to-Shad-Thames's Brighton, if you see what I mean. The Angel pub, the green spaces of Rotherhithe (King's Stairs Gardens and Southwark Park), Rotherhithe village (Brunel museum, the Mayflower pub), and potentially even Russia Dock Woodland and Stave Hill all beckon for those happy to follow the Thames east.

I think what would be very useful at Chambers Wharf, however, is a commuter pier.
Old September 29th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #13
Delegado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELondoner View Post
I regularly walk through here, and part of me can't wait for the desolate stretch of Thames Path to be sorted out and the walkway completed, but a part of me will miss what is probably the last part of 'old docklands' left. The archeological dig, incidentally started before the demo so is running in tandem and won't necessarily hold things up.

Worth noting that filming was still going on very recently, not just in the 70s/80s, with a crew there in the summer with a big shoot. Also earlier this year I went to LA for the first time; by coincidence, in the home of Hollywood, we went to the cinema and saw a British film, the Bank Job. Imagine my surprise when, having left SE16 long behind, I saw it on the screen, as some of The Bank Job was filmed at Chambers Wharf!

Any idea where can you find out about the dig?

Here's some photo's of the filming......

Old September 29th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #14
Delegado

The west end of Chambers Street....

I am really looking forward to the street being redeveloped. I believe this development will really help Rotherhithe, and in turn the Canada Water redevelopment. There are lots of pubs past here that really seem to be struggling, and could do with the Sunday walkers as extra trade.

The amount of people who stop and turnaround at the end of Butlers Wharf, or when they reach Chambers Wharf is always evident at the weekend.

Currently it is a plus to be able to walk to the Angel and escape the crowds, especially in the summer. I can't bear walking between Tower Bridge and Waterloo Bridge on a busy summer weekend.

The downside is the lack of life, and the intimidation alot of people (especially women) feel, when walking past Chambers Wharf to Rotherhithe, especially in the dark winter evenings.

The garage where the Bankjob was filmed used to service all the local kids mopeds, who spent their evenings burning up and down Chambers Street pulling wheelies the length of the street. I was delighted when they closed as this was really antisocial.

The council estates and pubs aren't that rough in reality, they actually in effect police the area, it's just the feeling of being outnumbered or isolated that gives the place an intimidating edge.

Old September 30th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #15
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Agree with all that. I think anyone who knows the area would realize what an incredibly important development this is. It's a huge site, as surreal in its current decrepitude as Battersea Power Station but with nothing worth preserving, completely blocking off a stretch of river, and, as you say, really quite intimidating at night. Instead, it will become one of the highest quality developments on the river front, breathing new life into a large area of London: an area that's far more central than people tend to imagine, an area that is already being actively regenerated in various places (Bermondsey Spa, Canada Water, Bermondsey Square, for example) - and an area that's still only been on the Jubilee line for less than a decade.

It's a £200m development in a place where nothing at all has been spent for decades, and of course that includes some pretty significant goodies for the local community...

Planning obligations [S.106 undertaking or agreement]

The proposed S106 planning contributions based on S106 SPD are:

1. Affordable Housing; 189 units on-site
2. Education £788,227.74
3. Employment £265,197.50
4. Public open space and sports £569,621
5. Strategic Transport £233,310
6. Archaeology £13,500
7. Health £534,293
8. Community Facilities £75,548 (standard charge)
9. Amendment to Traffic Order £2,750
10. Admin costs £49,648.95

A total of £2,532,096.19.

There will also be the following provided ‘in kind’ (i.e. provided by the developer)

1. Children’s' play equipment £150,000 (to be provided on 2 sites)
2. Site specific transport works £1,180,000 (estimated)
3. Public Realm improvements £2,100,000 (estimated)
4. Community facility Value unknown

The site specific transport works are: traffic calming in Chambers St. £800,000; £230,000 for improvements to bus stops; and £150,000 for pedestrian phase to traffic lights at Bevington Street/ St James’s Road/ Bevington Street junction.

The public realm works are the River Walk and landscaped pedestrian link through site.

The Community Facility will be formally be provided in Chambers Street but it is proposed to move it to Llewellyn Street.

In addition there will be a contribution of £1,500,000 for the local Community Project Bank.

This brings the total (excluding affordable housing and the community facility) to £5,962,096.

That's from the Southwark Planning Committee's Report - available online as a pdf.

There's also the Recommendation (another pdf) which basically lists the conditions for the approval. I guess the bat and reptile survey (final point) must be complete by now... Here, in fairly absurd surveyorese, is what it says about the dig.

9. No development shall take place within the proposed development site until the applicant, or their agents or their successors in title, has secured the implementation of a programme of archaeological building recording in accordance with a written scheme of investigation, which has been submitted to the planning authority and approved in writing.

Reason: To ensure that the archaeological building recording is undertaken to an appropriate standard, that the archaeological interests of the site are appropriately managed, that any findings are appropriately disseminated and that the information is archived.

10. No development shall take place within the proposed development site until the applicant, or their agents or their successors in title, has secured the implementation of a programme of archaeological work in
accordance with a written scheme of investigation, which has been submitted to the planning authority and approved in writing.

Reason: To ensure that the archaeological operations (archaeology evaluation and any subsequent mitigation works) are undertaken to an appropriate standard, that the archaeological interests of the site are appropriately managed, that any findings are appropriately disseminated, that any recovered artefacts are conserved and that the information is archived.

11. No development shall take place within the area of the river wall or deck until the applicant, or their agents or their successors in title, has secured the implementation of a programme of archaeological work in accordance with a written scheme of investigation, which has been submitted to the planning authority and approved in writing.

Reason: To ensure that the archaeological operations (a phased programme consisting of a walkover survey, archaeology evaluation and environmental sampling of suitable deposits and any subsequent mitigation works) are undertaken to an appropriate standard, that the archaeological interests of the site are appropriately managed, that any findings are appropriately disseminated, that any recovered artefacts are conserved and that the information is archived.

12 Within six months of the completion of archaeological site works (in relation to the previous three conditions) the applicants shall supply an assessment report detailing the proposals for post-excavation works, publication of the site and preparation of the archive.

Reason: To ensure that any findings are appropriately disseminated, that any recovered artefacts are conserved and that the information is archived and the project is published in a suitable way. This will be demonstrated by the production of a document following the guidance of Management of Archaeological Projects II (MAP II assessment report).

Loving those old cars, by the way.

Last edited by Officer Dibble; September 30th, 2008 at 01:56 AM.
Old September 30th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #16
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

There's a demolition newsletter (pdf) on the local info page of the official website.

Here are the good bits:

Our planned works for the month of September include:

• Continue with the erection of scaffolding to Chambers Wharf

• Install [the white] sheeting [of death] to the scaffolds to contain noise and dust

• Pest control and removal, from the Chambers Wharf site

• Deliver to site, excavators and long reach machines for demolition

• Continue structural demolition of H & C buildings at Chambers Wharf

• Remove a steel stair well structure adjacent to Luna House

• Commence removal of a sunken barge in the River Thames

Old September 30th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #17
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

Very cool thread, informative and well documented.
I agree with you Officer, people will just simply walk...how many times I wanted to do so and was forced to make a uturn just after the design museum.
It is pleasant alrealdy and could be even better with this development.

Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #18
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Thanks Manuel.

That demolition newsletter got me thinking - not sure exactly what we're talking about here - which blocks are C and H? Best intelligence I can find (though it doesn't answer that question) is this site description and map from the planning documents (my labels in blue).

Site description

1. The application relates to a former wharf and adjoining land, totalling almost two hectares in size, situated along the south bank of the River Thames in Bermondsey, south-east London. The site is surrounded on three sides by a variety of residential properties and has been privately owned by the applicant, St. Martins Property Investments, since December 1980. It is bounded on the north by a concrete jetty and retaining wall; on the east by predominantly low-rise, late 1980s housing on the Cherry Garden Estate; on the south by two schools, playgrounds and the six-storey Wrayburn House on the Aylesbury Estate; and on the west by a Berkeley Homes development, up to eight storeys high, comprising Luna House and Axis Court.

2. The site straddles Chambers Street, which runs east to west through the southern portion of the site. The latter is in turn bisected by the Llewellyn Street cul-de-sac, which runs north to south off Chambers Street. In effect, the site consists of three distinct portions of land i.e. a large portion north of Chambers Street and two smaller, but separate, portions to the west and east of Llewellyn Street. The jetty on the north side extends over the foreshore of the River Thames and is approximately 172 metres long, typically 17.5 metres wide and supported on concrete pillars.

3. The site is presently occupied by seven, mostly disused, buildings and extensive areas of hard-surfaced landscaping. Five buildings, comprising three 8-storey and two 2-storey blocks occupy the north side of Chambers Street. To the south of it lies another 8-storey building situated along the west side of Llewellyn Street; whilst the eastern side of Llewellyn Street is occupied by 2-storey steel-framed industrial sheds, invariably used as a building materials depot and vehicle repair workshop.

4. In its wider context, the site is located approximately 300 metres north of the A200 (Jamaica Road) and 750 metres east of the A100 (Tower Bridge Road), which links the north and south banks of the River Thames at Tower Bridge. Bermondsey London Underground station (on the Jubilee Line) is situated approximately 400m away, on the south side of Jamaica Road, and there are mainline railway and Northern Line Underground services at London Bridge station, some 800 metres to the west. The nearest bus stops for the four services operating from Jamaica Road are situated within 400 metres of most access points to the site. The public transport accessibility level of the site is between two and three on a scale of one to six, where one is the lowest and six is the highest. The Thames Path, which is a National Trail and statutory right of way, runs through the site, but includes a detour from the riverfront into Loftie Street and Chambers Street, returning to the riverfront at Bermondsey Wall West.

5. The application site is the last remaining part of the old industrial St. Savior's Dock to be brought forward for redevelopment.

Last edited by Officer Dibble; September 30th, 2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old October 1st, 2008, 12:46 AM   #19
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Not that I'm getting obsessed with this place or anything... but when an officer's off-duty, and has had one or two to drink, he might find himself strolling along the river of an evening, with only a useless phone to take photos with... but, well, it was a beautiful clear evening, and there were lights on inside...

And the view looking the other way from Chambers Wharf (not, admittedly, the finest Canary Wharf skyline ever posted on SSC):
Old October 2nd, 2008, 12:14 AM   #20
Delegado

Before........

Today.......

Will they clear this side of Chambers Street by November?

Plenty to do on the other side of the road.........(they're clearing the left side first)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: