SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Brussels | EU quarter - Redevelopment projects

Tags
bruxelles
52K views 63 replies 25 participants last post by  Slartibartfas 
#1 ·
I am not sure what I should think about it but it seems worth to be mentioned here, as it also was already featured in the Belgium subforum.

"World-famous French architect Christian de Portzamparc is the man in charge of turning these ambitions into reality." (Spiegel)

Portzamparc won with his project for the Rui de la Loi the central avenue alon which already today most buildings are used as offices for the EU commission or organisations that work on an EU level.

The area seems to be terrible. A four lane road with heavy traffic, constant construction works and no real places to go other than to work.

The plan should change that, reintroduce a major share of residentials and commerce in this area while at the same time increasing office space. At the same time the traffic should be reduced, the street is supposed to become friendlier for pedestrians and bicyclers.

this all should be achieved with the creation of a number of high rises along the road.

This is still in the project phase, but works should begin already in a few years. The time frame is however one reaching at least to 2025 or so.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,615892,00.html

The light rail that can be seen here is far from certain actually the chances for it are rather low. I think however that there will be a metro line with a similar route in operation not too far away.

See less See more
#54 ·
BXL | EU | Europa (Crowne Plaza) | 98m | 27fl? | App

Crowe Plaza is an old hotel that will be demolished. However it is still not clear due to lack information if the whole tower will be demolished or they'll use the existing structure to build on....

In any case, It will be a 2 tower complex with housing and offices. 100 appartments will fit in the smaller tower and the rest is office space.

This is what will replace it:

Current: thiw will soon be gone:

#60 ·
Building heigt limitation.

Everyone hopes for more towers in the EU district. However plans seem to get of slow and only one small tower has been completed so far and another one has demolition for a new tower just started.

One may ask what is the current height limitation in the area destinated for the towers?

Here you can see the height limitation per block.

2 towers of max. 165m along the Etterbeeksesteenweg (Nord of the Wetstraat)
2 towers of max. 150m within two blocks along side the innercity beltway
In the other blocks the building heights are between 114 and 125m.

Maximum scenario:

A: max 2 towers, max 114m
B East: max 2, max 165m
B west: max 1, max 114m
C: max 1, max 114m
D: max 2, max 125m
E: max 1, max 125m
F: max 1, max 125m
G: max 1, max 125m
H: max 1, max 114m
I: max 1, max 150m
J: max 1, max 150m

*Note that above a height of 55m building cannot be wider than 35m and may not exceed 1.500m² of floor space every floor.

#62 ·
Brussels I've always found is a panoply of so many architectural styles from the 20th Century. And each of Belgium's towns and cities are distinctly of different eras. Leuven for turn of the Century, Bruges for medieval, Ghent for 18th Century, Brussels for 20th Century. And so much of it is reflective of Belgian society through the ages too.

The EU HQ when completed, will be a snapshot of this time imo.

A travelbloggers experience:

https://supermouse.blog/2017/09/28/journey-to-the-west/

#64 ·
^^ Which project? The Rue de la Loi redevelopment masterplan? It might not have survived but a lot of its concepts have as far as I know. At least one new highrise is more or less completed and another one should be under construction soon right next to main Council and Commission buildings.

The new Council building is completed as well and looks boxy but interesting and nice. Same goes for the House of European History, which has turned into a beatuiful museum I must say and an interesting one as well. Contrary to popular believe large parts of the EU quarter are nowadays actually lovely places, with the exception of the core stretch of the Rue de la Loi of course which is steamrolled by car traffic day in and out. But have a look at Place Luxembourg, the whole park area between Parliament and Council anyway and also place Jean Rey. Place Jourdan on the other side, just a short walk away from the the Commission and Council HQ, has been completely overhauled and largely pedestrianized. behind the Commission HQ you have a wonderful old school (and probably upscale) residential neighbourhood with some architectural gems and a lot of beautiful greenery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.