SkyscraperCity Forum banner

POLAND | Polska

237K views 595 replies 149 participants last post by  Ron Zuchorsky 
#1 ·
[Wroclaw] 'Pasaz Grunwaldzki' project under const.

Big shopping mall under const. in the Wroclaw city center.

photos posted by @Rafis:

See less See more
#109 ·
#111 ·
3tmk said:
With all the constructions going on, are there any plans to destroy some of the commieblocks and replace them with brand new aparment buildings? Or is it still not economically viable in mass scale, even in small cases?

No. People need a place to live, and they can't keep up with demand for new housing in Poland, or so it has been explained to me by Polish forumers

#119 ·
3tmk said:
With all the constructions going on, are there any plans to destroy some of the commieblocks and replace them with brand new aparment buildings? Or is it still not economically viable in mass scale, even in small cases?
Many commieblocks are being renovated like in eastern part of Berlin. But we have so many of them... One of communists goals was destroing Polish cultural inheritance and everything which was related to tradition. So they were covering vast areas with commieblocks and chimneys to destroy cities' historical landscapes and so on.

#123 ·
A time ago I've read that Warsaw has prognoses that the city will have a population of about 6 million people within circa 10 years or so, perhaps optimistic, but I think many Polish people and especially young people in Poland wants to move to Warsaw. The demand for new residential housing is high and it is not built enough in the capital, prices risk to go up with those factors. I believe that the first place to see any destruction of old commie blocks is Warsaw, after that other big cities can/will follow. Increasing capital is coming in to the country and will make it possible, but obviously not over night. It took almost 50 years to get rid of the ruling communism in Poland and the rest of the so called Soviet sphere of influence, so it will also take a good amount to ger rid of all the signs of the past ruling communism in Poland, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Hungary etc. I think patiens is much needed. It is great to see all the new projects though. They really show that much is being done to modernize. It will go faster to built new and nice housing than it took to get rid of communism. In 50 years with so far increasing investments will create countries in these regions that are impossible to think that they once were ruled by nasty communism. 50 years is a very long time, especially when you compare it to a persons expected life span. I hope I will be around in 50 years to see the status of Poland and its neighbour :D

#125 · (Edited)
Ita Simpsone said:
Adam,
Firstly poles should take away those ugly dirty yellow-orange buses from streets of Warsaw. :) And trams are disgusting too
You mean those Solaris buses that Riga also buys from Poland?

Ita Simpsone said:
P.S. Our goverment chef said recently (when he met a delegation from Tirol,Austria), Latvia `ll reach the level of Austria in 15 years :hahaha:
You're right, that does sound pretty hilarious. :hilarious

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.