SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Istanbul | İstanbul

161K views 699 replies 84 participants last post by  TBNL 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#7 ·
Is this a housing complex or a whole downtown;)! It is too big and ToOoOo beautiful (Mashallah). Turkey is amazing.

cello1974 I really wonder which country this flag from? I have seen so many people having it in this site and around but until now I did not recognize it even with worlds countries flag in google!!

#8 ·
Olive touch said:
Is this a housing complex or a whole downtown;)! It is too big and ToOoOo beautiful (Mashallah). Turkey is amazing.

cello1974 I really wonder which country this flag from? I have seen so many people having it in this site and around but until now I did not recognize it even with worlds countries flag in google!!
Ha. It is either the flag of the ecologists and the flag of the gay oand the flag for peace... :cheers: :)

#12 ·
I may be one of the few Greeks that has seen this complex in person, even from a distance. I was on my way to Istanbul by bus (I was on an organised tour in 2002, when I also met Asimov, but this is another story) and a very small part of the complex was visible from the from the highway.

I had seen pictures of Bahcesehir before and I am happy that this beautiful complex is shown here, actually we have seen another thread before about this area, and I had replied there too. First of all, these pictures do not display the full size of the project which expands over a big area of several thousands and thousands squares of metres. Second, despite its massive character, it offers a high quality of life not easily found in other cities in Europe, In Athens, one can find comparable living conditions in smaller projects such as the "Ilida" suburb close to -guess! our Olympic Stadium too.

Anyway, first picture that I saw from Bahcesehir a long time ago and attracted my interest is this one and I believe it deserves to be in here :

Nice project indeed.

#13 ·
Gm euxaristo para poli filos mou :eek:kay: if you or other friends want, I can give you more information about this area! Because this area is still changing and will change more... Since 2002 something has changed at the other side of the highway. And there are some projects for Olympic Park and village...

#14 · (Edited)

#16 ·
what you said..which pictures :D

#18 ·
Ohhh, nothing ;)

Actually at the other side of the highway a new complex has been built, they are low rise houses but nice.

As you know there are slums around the lake and proposed Olympic Park. But there are projects for these areas. One of the projects is Olympic park, other project is the lake project that Sercan can show you the pictures of both projects.

#19 ·
the Olympic Park

Küçükçekmece Airport

Küçükçekmece Concept 4 (like Palms Island)

Küçükçekmece Concept

#21 ·
I saw the slums too, but I don't think (if they are still there) that they will be there for long. I mean, considering the size of the project (I have seen aerials of the damn thing, and from what I saw there must be at least some 50,000 people living there), it seems that it will for sure jump on to the opposite hills.

Also, guys, you should try and go to take a picture of the Olympic Stadium as it looks from the highway, it literally looks like the partial view of a gigantic UFO has that has landed. Also, some kilometres before or after you can see the Endem broadcasting centre tower in the far distance and if you are on a clear day you may able to take a good shot.

#22 ·

#24 ·
gm2263 said:
I saw the slums too, but I don't think (if they are still there) that they will be there for long. I mean, considering the size of the project (I have seen aerials of the damn thing, and from what I saw there must be at least some 50,000 people living there), it seems that it will for sure jump on to the opposite hills.

Also, guys, you should try and go to take a picture of the Olympic Stadium as it looks from the highway, it literally looks like the partial view of a gigantic UFO has that has landed. Also, some kilometres before or after you can see the Endem broadcasting centre tower in the far distance and if you are on a clear day you may able to take a good shot.
I am happy that I can give you some information. But first of all I have to say something to you. Your Athens pics at emporis have a special importance for me. I was following them for a long while. Maybe I can tell you by PM ;)

slums are still there, but not the other sides of the highway. As I told you there is a short rise complex at the other side of the highway. Thngs went very slowly at the Olympic park because Istanbul couldn't get hosting the game. Actually they are planning a different method. not like Athens, but a little bit like Barcelona. I have seen a documantery film about Bercelona Olympics, and whole Olympic Park and village have been founded at a slum area in Bercelona. This film was showing the change of Bercelona. but there, they constracted new apartments (like commie blocks) for these people and after they moved to their new places, they demolished these slums and built the Park and Village ( As I know it was not like this in Athens)...

But in Istanbul it will be a little bit different. During the games these people (if they will still be living there), will temporary move to some other places and after the games they will move to the Olympic village.

Construction of this park went slowly beause of another reason as well. Our former peresident of National Olympic Commitie was the only one who is interesting in the games. He was an old man but did so much for Istanbul. And he died. After his death, everything went slowly. But now new mayor and government pay a special attention for Istanbul Olympics. Also hosting the Champions Leauge final gave a speed to the construction works (honestly I have never went this area for months, so I can just follow everything over the media).

And now these new projects Sercan showed us will change the lake area wich is across the proposed Olympic Park.

#25 · (Edited)
Actually, from what I saw from the national road, the area where Bahcesehir and your Olympic Stadium is, is located in the outskirts of the city. The Athens Olympic complex on the opposite, was built on a land that (surprisingly for the Greeks) was indeed reserved for the construction of an Olympic Complex since the 1950's, thanks to thwe visions of many politicians that, without knowing (of course!!!) that Athens would take the games in 2004. This planning (again, in an amazing crisis of foresight that is quite unusual for Greek politicians and urgan planners) also included the reservation of land for the highways, mainly the Attica Road or Attiki Odos as we call it which is the main ring road of the city, which, along with Kifissias Avenue (that saw the construction of five new junctions to be in par with the traffic demands of the Olympics) which is a classic boulevard, much like Buyukdere avenue, served the games well.

The point here is that our Olympic Complex is located in the suburbs of the city, in an area that has seen a lot of construction from the 1950's onwards while yours, is on virgin territory and the only thing you should do is to keep it unmolested from the pressures of illegal settlers, something that has plagued the development of Athens in the past.

As for my Emporis contribution, it is not a popular forum, it is now something of a database that is build over the years, with information regarding tall buildings and other structures. A large contribution for me being accepted there was made by Asimov who, is one of the principal editors of Turkey along with MeRek. Asim, (like me from my mother's side) originally comes from Ayvalik and we consider ourselves brothers. BTW Ayvalik is another pearl of the Aegean, along with beautiful Izmir :):):)

As for the Istanbul Olympics, I have a hunch that probably the games will be granted to Isblue close to the year Turkey will be full EU member. If Isblue takes the 2016 Olympics, this will be a heck of a celebration, considering the time distance and the size of projects already making part of the wishlist or are under construction (Diamond of Istanbul :) ) in this city of three empires.

Finally, regarding the taking of pictures, I am happy to see that in Turkey are many people that do exacty what I do: Taking and posting their own pictures instead of re-posting postcard pics that were originally taken by someone else. People like Kerem Tunkay (also a friend and Istanbul editor in Emporis.com), Anil Koksal (in wow.Turkey.com), Burc Acar and many others do a wonderful job for your country and are systematic observers and seekers for the best frame to capture and give it to the public. Keep up the good work guys. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.