search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #21
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53307

upscrapering - Viewing or taking photos up sides of skyscrapers.

Jan, NickABQ liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #22
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 15245

Two additions this time: Skypod and Skyvilla.
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #23
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9713

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Climbscraper

~ A skyscraper whose design facilitates easy climbing.

Good one
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #24
Jan
High there, what's up!

The dictionary got a nice mention on estatesgazette.com.

Suburbanist liked this post
Old May 9th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #25
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

What about this thing....SnakeScrapers. This is for a building that resembles snakes from its outside appearances

Bakrie Tower Jakarta

Cheers

NickABQ liked this post
David-80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #26
Jan
High there, what's up!

^ reminds me of those (ugly) zigzag towers in Doha

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #27
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

lol, that two just strange building

anyway, what about this term, roofscrapering which means, being in the rooftop of a skyscraper and watching skylines :P

image hosted on flickr

We (ssc Indonesia) did that (roofscrapering) in Bakrie tower last month

Cheers

Jan, redcode liked this post
David-80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #28
NickABQ

Likes (Received): 87

I'm trying to think of a name for those "phallic" skyscrapers, but my mind keeps on wandering to other things!!

Bahahahaha!

I Love South Africa
NickABQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #29
Vincen1

Likes (Received): 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
The dictionary got a nice mention onestatesgazette.com.
That's nice, it says you have already ideas for about 100 words, that's quit something. I've thought about some things.

Flatirons. We all know the famous NYC Flatiron building. But isn't it that many more buildings with a triangular floorplans, are refered to as flatiron as a reference to the famous original. The Hague has the 'strijk ijzah' (I don't need to translate that for Jan ; )

You could write about the stringent steetplans that can force buildings into their maximum use of land. But also about the history of triangular buildings as a architectural/urban visual tool on the tips of cityblocks. Like the for it's time revolutionary Piazza del Popolo's "rooster paw" design in Rome.
And it's popularity in baroque town planning and the city beautiful movement (remember the NYC flatiron was designed by Daniel Burnham). The sharp angle is perfect for creating making dramatic views, it gives multiple vista's in one sight, accentuates the corner and makes the two facades better visible.
Vincen1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #30
Jan
High there, what's up!

^ skyscrapers that are shaped by the plot perimeter is an interesting suggestion, thanks! A 'plot-up" perhaps?

Roofscrapering has just been added: http://www.skyscraperdictionary.com/...roofscrapering
Old May 13th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #31
Vincen1

Superpagoda's
Taipei 101 and the Jin Mao have been mentioned before as a 'solitaire' and a 'climbscraper'. But their design is also interesting because it tries to emulate a typology that has no equal in western historical architecture. The pagoda. A very defining element of Chinese (as a greater cultural region not that much the country) architecture is the emphasis on the roof. It is supported by the typical structure of consoles that makes it very wide compared to the walls, and also more decorated then the walls. The pagoda is a stacked version of multiple of those roofs. And unlike churchtowers many pagoda's have stories (with shrines). That makes them a good archetypes for skyscrapers, nonetheless I haven't seen many examples. It may be a matter of taste, but perhaps it's just that the widening of the facade is seen as expensive. I don't know.

There are the residential neighbours of the Supertall "Farmer's Apartments" tower in Huaxi superrich village. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...556647&page=20
image hosted on flickr

(of which the Farmers Apartments itself is again a great example of a cherryscraper (although I think skycherry sounds funnier : )

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/newrep...reply&p=179507
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanford View Post
Grand 50 Tower
Kaohsiung, Taiwan

Strangely enough Auckland also seems to have a pagoda inspired highrise. Here's the picture I found on wikimedia commons.

EDIT______________________________________________________
I knew there was more: Zhengzhou Greenland Plaza / Skidmore Owings & Merrill http://www.archdaily.com/319809/zhen...wings-merrill/

It´s also a climbscraper clearly inspired by Jin Mao, but softer in appearance.

Btw. I don't consider buildings like the one below inspired by the pagoda archetype. I think they belong in the funny roof category. Just like there are also buildings with a roof that refers to traditional western roofs.
image hosted on flickr

beijing palace soluxe hotel astana by swedenhoo, on Flickr

Jan liked this post

Last edited by Vincen1; May 13th, 2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Added Zhengzhou Greenland Plaza
Old May 13th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #32
Vincen1

Quote:
^ skyscrapers that are shaped by the plot perimeter is an interesting suggestion, thanks! A 'plot-up" perhaps?

Roofscrapering has just been added: http://www.skyscraperdictionary.com/...roofscrapering
Plot-up sounds interesting, it resonates rational maximum landuse. But I really think that the triangular ones a category on its own. Entire city plans are made in order to create pointy plots on the tips of city-blocks. And although the flatiron building is certainly not the first one, it has became ingrained in the skyscraperworld. (you cannot afford to exclude it )
Old May 13th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #33
Jan
High there, what's up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincen1 View Post
But I really think that the triangular ones a category on its own.
You mean triangular ones in general (like this one) or just focussed on those which are the result of a triangular plot?

Plot up as plot-determined shape is interesting as an opposite of skyscrapers that just ignore plot shape, usually squared or boxy building, and as such just leave idle rest space at street level. (plot-ignore)
Old May 13th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #34
Vincen1

Quote:
You mean triangular ones in general (like this one) or just focussed on those which are the result of a triangular plot?

Plot up as plot-determined shape is interesting as an opposite of skyscrapers that just ignore plot shape, usually squared or boxy building, and as such just leave idle rest space at street level. (plot-ignore)
Hmmm... I have´t thought about that possibility, it's obviously another game as the Flatiron. Plot-up sounds really nice, I just was thinking about square buildings on square plots (which isn't that special) and about what to do with partially build plots and irregular plots. Now things are getting difficult.

Like the Red Apple in Rotterdam was designed to look like it was bounded by its plot, but that was just a design choice because they had much space. Still it fulfills a kind of the same visual function in its urban context as the flatiron.
Old May 13th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #35
Jan
High there, what's up!

Actually if you define a plot-up as a skyscraper that reflects the particular shape of the plot, then that excludes the squared boxes.

Scheepmakerstoren is perhaps a better example in Rotterdam. Also because the angle which with it opens op on the west facade is the same angle as the one that shapes Wijnhavaneiland. Although Scheepmakerstoren, like Splinter, is an example of a skyscraper that is shoe-horned onto a small building plot that is surrounded by adjacent building.

Strijkijzer in The Hague is also a Dormitower, ie. a skyscraper for student housing.
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #36
Vincen1

Funny roofs, what to do with that one? It may not be worthed a dictionary mentioning, but I think it's a real phenomenon. Now I´m getting myself in trouble.

Quote:
Btw. I don't consider buildings like the one below inspired by the pagoda archetype. I think they belong in the funny roof category. Just like there are also buildings with a roof that refers to traditional western roofs.
image hosted on flickr

beijing palace soluxe hotel astana by swedenhoo, on Flickr
In my opinion it is a design tactic for lazy architects, like a gimmick. But then again being lazy is not a crime. It has a kind of visual effectivity. And there is off course a wide range in execution, from ultracheap to rather nice. In a curious way I may find the ugliest even more fascinating. It has a kind of naïvity that reflects the real local culture (technology and business included) instead of the ideal taste.

I had a discussion before about how this works, about the Parque Cidade Jardim, São Paulo.

Quote:
Thanks WalPaulista
The classical architectural language and highrise always had a troubled relationship. The solution in early New York was based on upscaling traditional townhouses. (That is: decorated base - shaft - and decorated crowning/capital). It was later on that those buildings evolved into giant pinnacles, but even those evoke a likewise order.

Most of European(minded) architects back then didn't even consider it real architecture, but just a kind of commercial excess. I think nowadays most architects agree that those buildings are quit elegant and the architectural solutions weren't that bad. There is off course a chance that I'm again blinded by convention and therefore cannot see the actual quality of a building like the one below.

I seriously think that buildings like above are a mess and except for the silly roof have nothing to do with classical design. Even though the roof evokes a little bit of a classical order. The problem nowadays is that residential highrise demands balcony's and a lot of glass surface and those elements don't belong in the classical language. That's a challenge, but then I still think the designer did a lazy job. Just place a finger on top of the roof, then you'll easily see through the cheap trick.
Quote:
Ps. Don't get me wrong, I actually think this is interesting. The world is full of architecture that's less then brilliant, it has always been like that and for some reason everything that has the right age becomes charming.

And I think it's fun to see the evolution in fashions. Those roofs fascinate me, they're like a stubborn remnant from the past we can't get rid of. Like our genes still contain information of our predecessors, but that doesn´t has a function anymore.
Dubai Marina supertall section also follows the same design strategy. Supertall buildings are a mega investment by definition, so it's something you think about. The architects fee also cannot be the limiting factor and still it looks like they didn't put much effort in it. Especially the Princess tower. (and the dome on top isn't even completely closed for unknown reasons)
image hosted on flickr

Dubai skyline by HansKristian, on Flickr

And what to think about the The Elysian in Chicago. That one is notorious on the forum for it's 'high hat'. It's no doubt an upper marked building, as far as I can judge build in quality materials, but that roof....

Last edited by Vincen1; May 13th, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #37
Jan
High there, what's up!

Skyscraperhat or perhaps -crown will do for that, as these are really just hats that top something off.

Cherryscraper has been included for the silly tops.
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #38
Vincen1

Earthscraper a non-existant darling of futurists.

There are massive underground complexes al over the world, but not like inverted towers. For obvious reasons it creates more problems then it solves. But it keeps coming back

Here is a famous one from Japan 1931. Google -> depth scraper
image hosted on flickr
1931 ... depth scraper! by x-ray delta one, on Flickr

Popular mechanics 1934. Larger readable version on website: http://longstreet.typepad.com/thesci...ties-1934.html

Very recently there was this proposal in Mexico. die die die!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-ground.html

Ironically there is an apparently serious project in China that seems to become a very nice building. A hotel-resort in an old quarry designed by Atkins. I guess you know it, it has been in the news and on the forum just like the Mexican proposal. http://www.atkinsdesign.com/html/pro..._songhotel.htm

Jan liked this post
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #39
Jan
High there, what's up!

Excellent one, thanks!
Old May 16th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #40
Jan
High there, what's up!