search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland For projects and construction in Belfast and the North

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 11:55 PM   #21
Andy H

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfastuniguy View Post
While not owned by the Northside project it does fall within the area.

FutureBelfast have posted an update for the site that adjoins Library Square.

No drawings posted to Planning portal yet.
I think this is behind the existing apartment block, site no2 on map above, rather than the big site adjacent library square.
Andy H no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2016, 10:44 AM   #22
Dassa82

Likes (Received): 8

http://www.futurebelfast.com/belfast-northside.html

What does this update mean for the future of the project?
Dassa82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 11:06 AM   #23
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 7036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassa82 View Post
http://www.futurebelfast.com/belfast-northside.html

What does this update mean for the future of the project?

It was refused on a technicality, they failed to submit the required documentation and so couldn't obtain approval for their outline application.

I don't think it impacts on the overall project but I do think the new application will see some changes given the opposition to the wholesale demolition of existing built heritage in the area.

Overall it may be a positive thing as it allows a revised application to be drafted.

:: Northern Ireland Forum : Republic of Ireland Forum ::

Dassa82, ulsterjamesie liked this post
belfastuniguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 08:17 PM   #24
Dassa82

Likes (Received): 8

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35380622

Positive news hopefully as well for the Sunflower bar.
Dassa82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 10:23 AM   #25
ulsterjamesie

Likes (Received): 58

Northside scheme: DSD pulls out of £300m development project
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-36146137

Anyone got the inside track on this? ...and is it a good or a bad thing (medium to long term)? ...That whole area is a bit of a dive... Was hoping this would have been a shot in the arm to the inner north area of the city... Good for the likes of the Sunflower I suppose?
ulsterjamesie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 12:28 PM   #26
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Shambles. No idea what DSD are playing at.

It's disappointing the short-term as the area is a complete tip and needs serious investment. DSD's withdrawal means the developer can not use their statutory powers in order to progress the plan.

Doesn't mean the plan itself is dead but it'll likely be a longer phased approach. Might not be the worst thing, I'd like to see more of the existing building retained.

Old April 27th, 2016, 12:41 PM   #27
JohnnyNI
reach for the skies

Likes (Received): 27

Disappointing but not surprised. At least the new university campus and Streets Ahead will spruce up part of the area, but North Street in particular is dire. There are a few depressing looking buildings that could at least be demolished until somebody decides to do something.
JohnnyNI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 01:59 PM   #28
Not Tall Enough

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
It's disappointing the short-term as the area is a complete tip and needs serious investment. DSD's withdrawal means the developer can not use their statutory powers in order to progress the plan.
Is statutory powers basically vesting and helping push through each separate planning application? It seems strange that DRD would pull the plug right before an election unless the scheme really isn't populate with residents in North Belfast.
I thought they'd be dying for some work to be done to regenerate the area, unless they are worried about being pushed outwith upmarket apartments etc.
Was DRD providing the £300m or was it coming from Private Developers?
Its Crazy how run down that part of the City is as soon as you walk past Castle Court, its like the land time forgot.
Not Tall Enough no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 02:50 PM   #29
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Tall Enough View Post
Is statutory powers basically vesting and helping push through each separate planning application? It seems strange that DRD would pull the plug right before an election unless the scheme really isn't populate with residents in North Belfast.
I thought they'd be dying for some work to be done to regenerate the area, unless they are worried about being pushed outwith upmarket apartments etc.
Was DRD providing the £300m or was it coming from Private Developers?
Its Crazy how run down that part of the City is as soon as you walk past Castle Court, its like the land time forgot.
Yeah, DSD was there to allow for vesting and so on. DRD aren't part of the project, only DSD

I don't think DSD monetary contribution was noteworthy, mostly private funding. DSD could be liable for costs now though.

Old April 27th, 2016, 03:43 PM   #30
Not Tall Enough

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
I don't think DSD monetary contribution was noteworthy, mostly private funding. DSD could be liable for costs now though.
Thanks, seems like a crazy decision to make just before an election if Lord Morrow is likely to be replaced anyway, why didnt he just park it.

If the DUP select Education instead of Finance we could end up with all of the ministries in the hands of a different politicians. Not that I have much confidence in any of the boys on the hill.
Not Tall Enough no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 03:53 PM   #31
plank007

Likes (Received): 689

When Marty becomes First Minister we might not have any boys on the hill as the DUP will throw their toys out of the pram.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 03:59 PM   #32
ulsterjamesie

As I thought, Pedro and co. at the Sunflower are right chipper about it, and understandably so if it safeguards its future. Surely any revised regeneration plans can go ahead without razing it to the ground?

Belfast's Sunflower Pub saved from bulldozer after £300m development project ditched
http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/be...dozer-11250125
Old April 27th, 2016, 04:03 PM   #33
plank007

Great news for the Sunflower. The last thing Belfast needs is more faceless apartment blocks with chain restaurants and bars.

ulsterjamesie liked this post
Old April 27th, 2016, 04:33 PM   #34
aaronniuk

Likes (Received): 115

"Responding to the DSD move, Frank Dempsey of the Carrick Hill Residents' Association said the project was "ill-conceived from the start"."

My issue is what say to the residents of Carrick Hill have]in a city centre development? There are so few residents on the Northside of the city centre....

...though I'd hate to lose the Sunflower but was hoping something could be done with North Street Arcade.

The city centre is roughly bound by the West Link, Lagan and Donegal Pass. In this zone there should be no dereliction, rubbish or gravel carpark's because this is the area that is seen by tourists. Lets get it sorted Belfast!

JohnnyNI liked this post
aaronniuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 04:38 PM   #35
ulsterjamesie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronniuk View Post
My issue is what say to the residents of Carrick Hill have in a city centre development?
i wouldn't cross them
Old April 27th, 2016, 05:05 PM   #36
belfastuniguy
Subliving

The moaning from Carrick Hill in their public built and supported housing does my head in at times. I have no issue with social housing close to the city centre but they seem to think they deserve a veto on new development, especially higher density development on prime city centre land. The same goes for Donegall Pass and Sandy Row.

They seem to want semi-detached houses on this land and more social housing on any vacant city site, it's not going to happen. Time they realised the city is entering a period of expansion and enhanced density.

ulsterjamesie, hypnotoad24 liked this post
Old April 27th, 2016, 06:20 PM   #37
plank007

Quote:
The moaning from Carrick Hill in their public built and supported housing does my head in at times.
Social housing tenants opinions are less valid than somebody living in a £800 a month apartment.
Old April 27th, 2016, 06:47 PM   #38
aaronniuk

Is there social housing in the city centre and specifically Northside. Off top of my head, can't think of any. Mostly just surface car parks.
Old April 27th, 2016, 07:34 PM   #39
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank007 View Post
Social housing tenants opinions are less valid than somebody living in a £800 a month apartment.
Where did I say that? I said they believe they should have an entitlement to veto new developments, which they do when you hear them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronniuk View Post
Is there social housing in the city centre and specifically Northside. Off top of my head, can't think of any. Mostly just surface car parks.
A few terrace houses and that's about it. The complaints are coming from the residents across the road in Carrick Hill.

Old April 27th, 2016, 09:36 PM   #40
aaronniuk

Quote:
A few terrace houses and that's about it. The complaints are coming from the residents across the road in Carrick Hill.
And this would be my gripe. The city centre is for everyone in the city to enjoy. Their views on the development are on a par with those who live in Four Winds or Castlereagh. They can have no complaints.

If they are Sunflower regulars then yes, complain away. But if they are feeling sentimental about losing a surface carpark, then Nooooooo!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: