daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #201
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Ethanol Development News No. 2

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:29 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:53 PM   #202
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

Hello. I'm fron Toledo and new to the forum. I'm a photographer and plan on posting many of my Toledo photos. It really is one of the most underrated cities in America. From the world class art musuem and zoo to the historic architecture, Toledo has a lot going for it. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=337298

Though a few things have been frightening me, namely talks of tearing down the Fiberglass Tower. From an older post:

With the news of the proposed downtown Sports Arena, there are 4-5 other sites they are looking to build around the CBD area. The most sought after site is across from the Seagate Convention Centre where the vacant 30-story Hytower building (former Owens Corning building)

I really think this is unlikely. The costs would be astronomical not to mention the property is owned by the Eyde Company in Michigan. It might actually be their most expensive holding. The building's asbestos replacement costs are estimated at about 2 million dollars. It is not unreasonable to plan for an office/residential renovation of this tower. I find it shocking that people thinnk no one would miss the second tallest building in the city. Anyway, I did a thread on the building in urbanohio, and will post what I posted there:

Toledo has the unique distinction of having its 2nd tallest skyscraper 100% vacant. The 400 foot Fiberglass Tower opened in 1970 to much fanfare and was the first skyscraper to utilize the "open floor" design. Today, it is abandandoned, water damaged, and has asbestos fireproofing that will cost 2 to 3 million dollars to replace. It was vacated in 1996 by OC after their new Cesar Pelli "Carnival Cruise Ship" headquarters opened on the Middlegrounds area (formerly railyards) between the Maumee River and Swan Creek. Ironically, asbestos lawsuits made the Fortune 500 company declare bankruptcy shortly after.

The Fiberglass Tower's future is up in the air. Toledo is in no hurry to tear it down and no private investors are in any hurry to renovate it. Some possible plans for it include condos, a mixed use loft/office tower, etc. I'd say a residential renovation is the most likely scenario, but at the rate things have been moving in Toledo, that could take another 20 years...

Some stats:
Primary Type: Office
Office Building
Divisible To: 576 SF
Maximum Contiguous: 16,570 SF
Building Size: 437,500 SF
Building Class: A
Year Built: 1969
Date Last Verified: 4/26/2006

Property Description:
Thirty-Story Office Building, magnificent views of the Maumee River, Lake Erie and CBD abound! Fantastic site for conversion to condominium, luxury apartment, mixed use development. Attached 519 +/- space parking garage. Building is linked to cities walk-way system. Former Owens Corning world headquarters, built in 1969. 11 passenger/1 freight high-speed 1,000' per minute elevators serve the building. (Building contains asbestos fireproofing/pipe wrapping, remediation estimated btwn 2-3 million, monies are available at state level to assist in removal)

Location Description:
Downtown Toledo CBD near new 39.2 million dollar Fifth Third Field, Maumee River, University of Toledo Medical School, Seagate Convention Center

No. Stories: 30 Lot Size: 1.64 Acres

It is owned by the Eyde Company of Michigan and is integral to Toledo's skyline. Their website has all the info on it, including floor plans. The black skyscraper is considered by some to be as much a signature of Toledo as One Seagate. In fact, many suburbanites confuse One Seagate with the Fiberglass Tower.

http://www.loopnet.com/looplink/eyde...Property+Types

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; May 4th, 2006 at 12:07 AM.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:13 AM   #203
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

I'd like it better if they tore down Southwyck and built a new mall there instead of one at Fallen Timbers.

Fallen Timbers is too close to the Perrysburg mall. I think South Toledo/Maumee region would have been a good location right in between Franklin Park and the Perrysburg mall for a 3rd mall on Toledo's west side.

But what do i know.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #204
Bonjourtoledo

Welcome Pilliod--I can't wait to see more pictures from you and engage some discussions in developments in our area.

Great pictures of Toledo with the link you put on. I would love it to frame it and hang it around my house.
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:07 AM   #205
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington
I'd like it better if they tore down Southwyck and built a new mall there instead of one at Fallen Timbers.

Fallen Timbers is too close to the Perrysburg mall. I think South Toledo/Maumee region would have been a good location right in between Franklin Park and the Perrysburg mall for a 3rd mall on Toledo's west side.

But what do i know.

I agree with you Paddington, with the current location at Southwyck it's in a very busy traveled area with large number of residents nearby. Too bad that b*astard owner from Kansas City is just collecting his rent and using this mall as a tax write-off. Let's hope something happens soon.
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #206
Pilliod Njaim

The Southwyck situation sucks. My parents are from Maumee, so that was my mall growing up. It used to be so lively and was a very cool place. Now, it's half empty and basically the "ghetto mall."

I still go there, but since Le Petit Gourmet moved to Monclova/Maumee, I've had less reasons to go there. Dillard's is still good, but I hear that's closing down soon.

Southwyck's location is perfect for a mall, but with Fallen Timbers going in just a couple miles away, it won't be able to survive.
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #207
Cincinnatus
JUNCTA JUVANT

Likes (Received): 4

C-Dawg, is that you!?
Cincinnatus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:14 AM   #208
Pilliod Njaim

Yes indeed
Old May 5th, 2006, 05:25 AM   #209
Bonjourtoledo

Southwyck Mall Latest Development 5-4-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim
The Southwyck situation sucks. My parents are from Maumee, so that was my mall growing up. It used to be so lively and was a very cool place. Now, it's half empty and basically the "ghetto mall."

I still go there, but since Le Petit Gourmet moved to Monclova/Maumee, I've had less reasons to go there. Dillard's is still good, but I hear that's closing down soon.

Southwyck's location is perfect for a mall, but with Fallen Timbers going in just a couple miles away, it won't be able to survive.

According to ABC 13 news tonight that this coming Monday the Levis Commons developer is releasing plans for redeveloping the Southwyck area with over $150 million of investment. They released a new branding of the name and the art design of "The Village at Southwyck" today. He mentioned that the project will be completed late 2007 and so we will see what he will propose for the final plans this coming Monday.
Old May 5th, 2006, 05:28 AM   #210
Bonjourtoledo

Southwyck Mall Latest Development 5-4-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim

Right now there is only sewer lines going into the ground out at Fallen Timbers which they've been doing this for a few months now. This is going to end up being a horse-race between Fallen Timbers or Southwyck to finish first. So time will tell.
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #211
Bonjourtoledo

Southwyck Mall Latest Development 5-6-2006

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #212
Bonjourtoledo

Bass Pro Shops Latest News 5-6-2006

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old May 6th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #213
Bonjourtoledo

Spring Pictures 5-6-2006 *BONUS*

It's a gorgeous spring day today 65 degrees and not a cloud in the sky:

My rooftop patio with the skyline view:

I'm trying to do urban gardening on my rooftop:

Begonia--so gorgeous:

Toledo is also known as Frogtown as well:

More urban planting with the turtle:

Skyline on a spring morning:

New patio furnitures for our new home with different views:

Old May 6th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #214
Pilliod Njaim

OMG!! Bonjour, your place is AWESOME!!

The patio view looks about 4 floors off the street. Is this Riverwest Townhomes?
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #215
Bonjourtoledo

Yep--I posted several posts in this thread with pictures and details about this place. We moved in once it was finished with construction in mid-January of this year and it is four floors. We love this place to death.
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:13 AM   #216
Bonjourtoledo

Southwyck Mall Latest Development 5-8-2006

The day has arrived--Mr. Larry Dillin has did a press conference on the redevelopment of Southwyck Mall. Here is the link to the architecture drawing, plans, and information in regards to this project:

The Village at Southwyck
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #217
Pilliod Njaim

Great news!
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #218
Bonjourtoledo

Adams Street-Uptown District Development News

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #219
Bonjourtoledo

Westgate/Costco Perspective

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #220
Bonjourtoledo

Southwyck Mall Latest Development 5-10-2006

This type of move for Stautzenberger College makes sense to be part of a "town-within-town" open air mall. This redevelopment project which I believe will re-energize the southwest urban area of Toledo area which is surrounded by city of Maumee, Monclova Township, and Springfield Township. This area has a high population with over 150,000 residents combined within a 5-mile radius.

Stautzenberger College to becomes tenant at Southwyck 'village'
By Danielle Portteus
Toledo Free Press Staff Writer
[email protected]

Stautzenberger College will aid in the renovation of Southwyck Mall with a 40,000-square-foot academic building in the former Lion Home Store, Stautzenberger President George Simons said May 8.

"We are absolutely delighted to be part of this project," he said. "It is a major change for us."

Simons, Toledo Mayor Carty Finkbeiner and Larry Dillin, owner of Dillin Corp., announced the renovation plans for The Village at Southwyck.

Simons said the Board of Trustees has signed a letter of intent to expand into the mall by July 2007.

"It's not going to be another mall," he said. "It will be the re-emergence of the community and our charter is to serve this community."

Simons said academic programs including veterinary technology and private investigation will be available at the new site.

Dillin said the college is a part of the new vision for Southwyck.

"We've accomplished a major milestone and have positive support from the community," he said. "The college will bring a core group of customers back to a center of education and other stores."

Finkbeiner said the success for redevelopment plans for Southwyck depends on the
Dillards Department Store.

"We would really like to see them stay and help develop the center," he said. "We have not finalized anything with Dillards yet, but we thank them for their willingness to stay here and stay loyal to us."

Finkbeiner said he wanted to thank those who have stayed loyal to the mall project.

"I want to thank the mall walkers, but also the vendors who have hung in there through the challenging days," he said. "Citizens have been loyal in the good times and the not so good times."

Finkbeiner said he encourages businesses to look into the redevelopment project and continue to support the community by considering a move to the new facilities.

"If we work together we can promote the reinvigoration of the south end," he said.

Current plans put the renovation project exceeding $100 million in three construction phases, but the price and phases could increase depending on the retailers, Dillin said.

County Commissioner Tina Skeldon Wozniak said the community should say a big thanks to Dillin.

"We are fortunate he is a friend to the community," she said. "Projects like this don't get done unless we collaborate together."

Toledo resident Jeanne Crossen said she was debating on whether to move away from the south end because of the lack of development.

"I'm ecstatic Stautzenberger is coming because it's a great way for them to use the space," she said. "They didn't elaborate on too much, but it's wonderful to hear they are making progress."

She said she is worried about housing development as part of the project.

"There's always the doubt over the housing," she said. "Whether it is upscale homes, assisted living or low income housing, there is a lot of concern. I just want to see Southwyck cleaned up."

Dillin said he has had dialogue with assisted-living facilities.

"There will not be any low-income housing," he said. "But we have had no commitments."

Toufic Arou-Dhech, Toledo resident, said he was pleased
with the news.

"We are waiting for this," he said. "Moving the school here and having Dillards stay is very important for the project — if they stay, it will be good."

Dillin Corp. built Levis Commons in Perrysburg. Despite that development and the increasing stores at Westfield Shoppingtown, Dillin said he is not worried about Southwyck surviving.

"I hate competition," he said. "We will distinguish ourselves from those projects and have merchandise plans that are specific to the south end."

Finkbeiner and Dillin will travel to Las Vegas May 21-25 to meet with prospective anchor stores, existing tenants and new tenants
to discuss the timing of the project.

Dillin said the design phase for the project will take until September 2006 and possible construction can start as early as this winter.