daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Western Australia

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE EXTINCT PERTH BUILDING - NO. 2
Bank of Adelaide 12 32.43%
Capitol Theatre 9 24.32%
Christian Brothers College 3 8.11%
Commercial Bank of Australia 0 0%
Federal Hotel 4 10.81%
Forrest Chambers 5 13.51%
J Masel Building 0 0%
Mechanic's Institute 3 8.11%
Paddington/King Edward Hotel 1 2.70%
Perpetual Trustees/Stott's Business College 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 13th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #21
jonwil

Likes (Received): 128

Yes I was referring to that particular Westpac branch (you can see it on Google Street View easily)
jonwil no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 13th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #22
dallastexjr
I'm outta here

Likes (Received): 236

Sorry, thought you were talking about the Westpac building. So, yes, just where you said.
dallastexjr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #23
NZPOM

Likes (Received): 13

Mechanic's Institute for me...trying to recall what is there now. Isn't it a bakery?
NZPOM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #24
Dilaz89

Likes (Received): 1095

It's a 12lv office building from the 80's, I think.
Dilaz89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:03 AM   #25
dallastexjr
I'm outta here

Correct. It's the shit-brown glass and whatever edifice looking nervous watching the State Trustees building next door get taken down. It's the sole blot on the Hay/Pier/Barrack St/St George's Tce block.
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:29 AM   #26
Urbicus

Likes (Received): 2270

Isn't that getting refurbed/reclad too?
Urbicus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:52 AM   #27
hack404

Likes (Received): 435

We need a thread for worst extinct Perth building, though I wonder if it might break the internets.
Old June 14th, 2013, 05:19 AM   #28
HighgateJohnny

Likes (Received): 180

R&I Bank building that surrounded the town hall would get my vote for the worst building.
HighgateJohnny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #29
HighgateJohnny

Likes (Received): 180

The old Legislative Council Chamber was between the Town Hall and Treasury Building on Hay Street before destruction for the R&I Building. I thought that building was also originally a Mechanics Institute.

Info from Wikipedia on the Mechanics Institute cnr Hay and Pier that we are voting on. It had its own concert hall.

"In 1899 the old building was replaced by spacious two storey premises on the same site which included a concert hall with seating for 400 people and a lodge room with accommodation for another 200.
The foundation stone for the new building was laid by the Premier Sir John Forrest on 20 June 1898. The premier was a former president and the president at the time was Mr. M.F.A. Canning.

The West Australian described the building:
[The hall] is a magnificent apartment, 70 feet x 31 feet, with platform, dressing rooms, and so forth. This and all the rooms on the same floor facing the street have French casements opening on to the balcony which surrounds the building. The edifice is in the Italian style of architecture, and the main entrance to the institute is from Hay Street. There are six shops in the building facing the same street, and a block of offices in Pier-street for letting purposes. The room in which the lending library is to be situated is 40ft. x 25ft., and faces Pier street, and the reading room measures 40ft. x 24ft.
At the time of its opening in 1899, the library contained 6,000 volumes and membership was 389.The cost of the building was ₤10,721.

Its name was changed to Perth Literary Institute in December 1909 and at about the same time its inventory showed the library to contain 564 books related to history; biography, 359; essays, 382; travel and geography, 421; general science, 275; social science, philosophy, and theology, 238; poetry and the drama, 199; serial and miscellaneous, 333; statistical and works of reference, 398; and fiction, 6,274, and a grand total of 9,443 volumes."
HighgateJohnny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 05:46 AM   #30
NZPOM

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilaz89 View Post
It's a 12lv office building from the 80's, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastexjr View Post
Correct. It's the shit-brown glass and whatever edifice looking nervous watching the State Trustees building next door get taken down. It's the sole blot on the Hay/Pier/Barrack St/St George's Tce block.
Thanks for that. One the otherside of the road to where I was thinking. I'll keep my vote with the Mechanics then... to replace it with what's there now is just depressing
NZPOM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #31
dallastexjr
I'm outta here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbicus View Post
Isn't that getting refurbed/reclad too?
I wasn't aware of that - I hope so. My reclad suggestion would a 21st century material that reflects everything around it, rendering it invisible.
Old June 16th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #32
dallastexjr
I'm outta here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighgateJohnny View Post
The old Legislative Council Chamber was between the Town Hall and Treasury Building on Hay Street before destruction for the R&I Building. I thought that building was also originally a Mechanics Institute.
it could have been. There was a nave-like building next door to Town Hall along Hay Street (Howick St back then) in the mid to late 1800s that served as Perth's first museum and a Masonic Lodge.