daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2007, 01:03 PM   #21
aviator

Likes (Received): 848

This one's been quiet for some time since the conversion of the block fronting Regent Street. But work's now started on the new build at the back.

It's still a pretty dreary part of town but there's more development afoot just round the corner. Note the marketing people's optimistic assessment of how long it takes to get to the Victoria Quarter.

aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2007, 12:09 PM   #22
Fred2

Likes (Received): 0

As that last picture makes clear, this is in part of the Leylands- now grandly renamed as the Northern Quarter - the vast majority of which was swept away in 1936 when Regent Street was widened. Stangely however, this street, Leylands Road, did not exist until 1952.
Fred2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #23
aviator

Likes (Received): 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2 View Post
As that last picture makes clear, this is in part of the Leylands- now grandly renamed as the Northern Quarter - the vast majority of which was swept away in 1936 when Regent Street was widened. Stangely however, this street, Leylands Road, did not exist until 1952.
If it's any consolation to you, this part of town is referred to as Mabgate in the City Centre Action Plan. A much better title in my opinion, having at least some history to it.
aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #24
Fred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
If it's any consolation to you, this part of town is referred to as Mabgate in the City Centre Action Plan. A much better title in my opinion, having at least some history to it.
So has the name the Leylands !
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #25
mark*ie

Quote:
So has the name the Leylands !
Sounds like a 1970s black country Industrial estate ! I prefer the Mabgate.. sounds rather posh.
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #26
SirCWilson

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark*ie View Post
Sounds like a 1970s black country Industrial estate ! I prefer the Mabgate.. sounds rather posh.
I prefer Mabgate too, but posh? A 'Mab' was a prostitute, you know...
SirCWilson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #27
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 1766

City of Mabgate makes Leeds sound like a big place!
Old April 24th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #28
Fred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark*ie View Post
So you must be one of those people who prefer names like Lumiere (we already have a Light don't we - so why not have another one but this time in French!) or Broadgate (instead of say Lewis's ?. Very posh, mark*ie. A rose by any other name ?
Old April 24th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #29
Subliving
belfastuniguy

Likes (Received): 182

Quote:
So you must be one of those people who prefer names like Lumiere (we already have a Light don't we - so why not have another one but this time in French!) or Broadgate (instead of say Lewis's ?. Very posh, mark*ie. A rose by any other name ?
Ah, and you must be one of those people who prefers names such as 'Lard' and 'Coal' and 'Spit'? I think maybe 'Coal Mine Tower' instead of Lumiere might work. Maybe 'Phlegm On The Ground Shopping Centre' instead of Broadgate?

Subliving.
Subliving no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #30
Fred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subliving View Post
Ah, and you must be one of those people who prefers names such as 'Lard' and 'Coal' and 'Spit'? I think maybe 'Coal Mine Tower' instead of Lumiere might work. Maybe 'Phlegm On The Ground Shopping Centre' instead of Broadgate?

Subliving.
Yes I prefer names like Clay Pit Lane or Swinegate !
Old April 24th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #31
Fred2

[QUOTE=Subliving;12817786 Maybe 'Phlegm On The Ground Shopping Centre' instead of Broadgate?

Subliving.[/QUOTE]

I think 'Gum on the Ground Shopping Centre' would be more appropriate for Leeds !
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #32
Subliving
belfastuniguy

Quote:
I think 'Gum on the Ground Shopping Centre' would be more appropriate for Leeds !
You really are the wettest blanket in a pile of soggy, wet blankets, Fred. But we love you for it.

Subliving.
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #33
Fred2

Quote:
You really are the wettest blanket in a pile of soggy, wet blankets, Fred. But we love you for it.

Subliving.
A very realistic wet blanket I think - and thanks very much for the affection!
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #34
Subliving
belfastuniguy

Quote:
A very realistic wet blanket I think - and thanks very much for the affection!
Wouldn't have you any other way, you make me think and question why I believe what I believe about things, something which I like in a person!

Anyway, as for the tirade about nomenclature...

I think using posh, possibly pretentious names is quite useful. Firstly, they give an aspirational feel to a place, even if that place may not live up to that expectation. Think of the two different major projects in Leeds and Manchester - Eastgate and Lumiere. Lets be honest, the design of both is pretty similar. However due to the savvier name of the latter, it seems to have gained a much greater respect on this forum. If Lumiere had been named 'Wellington Tower' I can't see it having had the same response.

Subliving.
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #35
Fred2

Quote:
Wouldn't have you any other way, you make me think and question why I believe what I believe about things, something which I like in a person!

Anyway, as for the tirade about nomenclature...

I think using posh, possibly pretentious names is quite useful. Firstly, they give an aspirational feel to a place, even if that place may not live up to that expectation. Think of the two different major projects in Leeds and Manchester - Eastgate and Lumiere. Lets be honest, the design of both is pretty similar. However due to the savvier name of the latter, it seems to have gained a much greater respect on this forum. If Lumiere had been named 'Wellington Tower' I can't see it having had the same response.

Subliving.

I'm glad I make you question. Often what is more important than the answer is the question !

I fully understand what you mean about these posh names and the image they present to the world. I just feel that many of them are just that bit too pretentious in the land of 'luv'.
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #36
Subliving
belfastuniguy

My mum always used to quote someone, I've forgotten who now, something like, "I don't agree with a word you're saying, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it!"

Do you really see Leeds as being in the 'Land of luv' though? Down here, not a single person I've spoken to about Leeds has recognised it as being a part of Yorkshire until I've actually pointed it out. Believe it or not, Londoners are not quite so naive about regional cities as many would like to say. They know which the largest regional cities are, and always include Leeds in these. However, the mistake they tend to make is the location of these cities. They have both Leeds and Manchester far closer to London than they actually are, which is surely a compliment rather than an insult.

Anyway, to the crux of my point. If Leeds and Manchester are no longer intrinsically linked to Yorkshire and Lancashire respectively, should we really artificially force this link to continue? I personally no longer see the larger cities of this country being linked to their counties. Don't know if this opinion is shared, but it seems to be the southern way of thinking - which I suppose is the way forward.

Subliving.
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #37
Fred2

Quote:
My mum always used to quote someone, I've forgotten who now, something like, "I don't agree with a word you're saying, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it!"

Do you really see Leeds as being in the 'Land of luv' though? Down here, not a single person I've spoken to about Leeds has recognised it as being a part of Yorkshire until I've actually pointed it out. Believe it or not, Londoners are not quite so naive about regional cities as many would like to say. They know which the largest regional cities are, and always include Leeds in these. However, the mistake they tend to make is the location of these cities. They have both Leeds and Manchester far closer to London than they actually are, which is surely a compliment rather than an insult.

Anyway, to the crux of my point. If Leeds and Manchester are no longer intrinsically linked to Yorkshire and Lancashire respectively, should we really artificially force this link to continue? I personally no longer see the larger cities of this country being linked to their counties. Don't know if this opinion is shared, but it seems to be the southern way of thinking - which I suppose is the way forward.

Subliving.
Whether or not you see it as the land of 'luv' much depends in which circles you move. Have a saunter down to the market - the folk there won't think much of the pretentiousness you seem to espouse (in names anyway)
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #38
Subliving
belfastuniguy

Quote:
Whether or not you see it as the land of 'luv' much depends in which circles you move. Have a saunter down to the market - the folk there won't think much of the pretentiousness you seem to espouse (in names anyway)
Whilst working in the Victoria Quarter throughout the last summer, I spent most of my lunch times in and around that area, from the really cool sandwhich shop at the front of the market, which I forget the name of, through the fish and chip shop at the side, and I would also go into the market for my lunchtime bunch of grapes. I've always been fairly well spoken, and no one in there seemed to have an issue conversing with me. There was one particular chap I don't remember the name of who used to give me free stuff for being 'such a polite and well mannered young lad'.

I think it's a common mistake to think that it's the well spoken who like to eshew those who speak with a regional accent. I see it far more in the reverse. The most unaccepting people tend come from the other angle.

Subliving.
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #39
Fred2

Quote:
Whilst working in the Victoria Quarter throughout the last summer, I spent most of my lunch times in and around that area, from the really cool sandwhich shop at the front of the market, which I forget the name of, through the fish and chip shop at the side, and I would also go into the market for my lunchtime bunch of grapes. I've always been fairly well spoken, and no one in there seemed to have an issue conversing with me. There was one particular chap I don't remember the name of who used to give me free stuff for being 'such a polite and well mannered young lad'.

I think it's a common mistake to think that it's the well spoken who like to eshew those who speak with a regional accent. I see it far more in the reverse. The most unaccepting people tend come from the other angle.

Subliving.

You may well be right, and I don't talk with a broad local accent - at least I don't think so. And I do not appreciate sloppy speech, whatever the accent
But actually I was thinking more of the Yorkshire trait to call a spade a spade and not a fancy French name. Also the juxtaposition of say Lumiere with Wellington Street or Malmaison with Swinegate is a bit idiosyncratic you must concede - n'est ce pas? Having said that, I shouldn't think it will be possible to buy mushy peas in either,which could make the 'luvs' forever prejudiced against them !