daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 11th, 2005, 08:08 PM   #61
SmartCity
Building Sustainability

Likes (Received): 193

Jet2.com set to start flights to the city of Milan

www.jet2.com boss has taken the unusual step of announcing another new destination today in a letter to the YEP, he says "we will shortly be announcing more, including Milan" I will add Philip Meeson's letter, taken from the YEP onto the Airport Sale Thread.

Please read the thread bellow about another story about Airport West.

Last edited by SmartCity; November 12th, 2005 at 02:16 PM.
SmartCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2005, 10:37 PM   #62
SmartCity
Building Sustainability

Passenger numbers on the up

Summer Proves A Scorcher For Leeds Bradford Airport

Leeds Bradford airport has announced record passenger numbers for the summer just ended. The six months May to October saw 1,575,347 passengers pass through the airport terminal. This was a 12.6% increase over the previous summer and was higher than the throughput achieved in the whole calender year just 3 years ago in 2002.

Leeds Bradford expects to reach in excess of 2.6 million passengers by the end of this year, which represents growth of around 75% in 3 years, and the airport is confident that the 3 million passenger mark will be expected next year.

Airport Managing Director Ed Anderson said, "This has been our busiest summer and the Yorkshire travelling public have demonstrated yet again the very high demand for flights from their local airport. We look forward to providing an ever increasing choice of services to business and leisure destinations over the coming years."

ENDS.

taken from www.lbia.co.uk
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #63
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 1769

Air Southwest doubles flights from Leeds Bradford Airport
16 November 2005

Air Southwest, one of the UK’s fastest growing low fares regional airlines, has today announced is it to double flights from Leeds Bradford Airport to the South West of England.

A third daily flight will be added from Leeds to Bristol giving increased flexibility for business and leisure travellers alike, and a new daily non-stop flight to Newquay in Cornwall will be introduced.

Tickets for the extra flights go on sale today from just £19 one-way to Bristol and £29 one-way to Newquay, including all taxes and charges, at www.airsouthwest.com. The extra flights will start on April 10 next year, so passengers are urged to book early to secure the best deals.

Malcolm Naylor, chief executive of Air Southwest, said: “We’re delighted to be doubling our flights from Leeds Bradford in response to demand from our customers, building on our established formula of low fares and quality service.

“With the new enhanced schedule it’s never been easier for people to head to Cornwall and Newquay Airport is just a few miles from the stunning Watergate Bay, soon to be home to Jamie Oliver’s new Cornwall Fifteen restaurant.

Ed Anderson, Managing Director of Leeds Bradford International Airport,
said: “We are delighted by the success of Air Southwest’s links to Devon and Cornwall over the last 9 months, and that the popularity of these flights has enabled them to give the people of Yorkshire more choice with the addition of a direct flight to Newquay.”

Air Southwest was launched two years ago and is part of the Plymouth-based transport and regeneration group Sutton Harbour Holdings Plc, which is listed on the London Stock Exchange.

Air Southwest operates a fleet of comfortable 50-seater Dash 8-300 aircraft.

-Ends-

Notes to Editors:
Air Southwest is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Plymouth-based transport and regeneration group Sutton Harbour Holdings Plc, which is listed on the Alternative Investment Market of the London Stock Exchange.

Air Southwest was launched on October 26 2003. Since its launch it has flown 420,000 passengers. Some 93% of bookings are made over the internet via www.airsouthwest.com

For a full archive of Air Southwest press releases please visit www.airsouthwest.com/news

For enquiries regarding this story please contact:
Jason Clark on 01822-833180, [email protected] or Mike Coombes on 01752-242630
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #64
Stig282

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
“With the new enhanced schedule it’s never been easier for people to head to Cornwall and Newquay Airport is just a few miles from the stunning Watergate Bay, soon to be home to Jamie Oliver’s new Cornwall Fifteen restaurant.
Wow - what a draw to go to Newquay - not. Glad they're not marketing Leeds!!
Stig282 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #65
Leeds No.1

Ive always wondered how destinations like this have become succesful...
Old November 16th, 2005, 09:11 PM   #66
The Oil

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1
Ive always wondered how destinations like this have become succesful...
It's because Cornwall is great, one of the best places to visit in the UK.
The Oil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #67
Leeds No.1

Well if thats the case don't you think there should be regular flights to loads of other UK destinations?
Old November 16th, 2005, 10:22 PM   #68
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig282
Wow - what a draw to go to Newquay - not. Glad they're not marketing Leeds!!
You're not a surfer I take it!
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #69
The Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1
Well if thats the case don't you think there should be regular flights to loads of other UK destinations?
Nope - I've lost you there...............

Explain that statement, I have no idea what your point is!?!?
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #70
Stig282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie_Si
You're not a surfer I take it!
Would be if I had more opportunity...I'd be highlighting the countryside and beaches not Jamie's new restaurant for something like this!
Stig282 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 02:46 PM   #71
SmartCity
Building Sustainability

New updated destination list

Schedule service only
Charter/holiday service only
Both scheduled and charter services

Aberdeen............................x3 Daily
Acapulco, Mexico.................(Selected dates only)
Alicante..............................x3 Daily
Amsterdam..........................x5 Daily
Barbados, Carribean..............(Selected dates only)
Barcelona............................x1 Daily
Belfast City.........................x3 Daily
Belfast International.............x2 Daily
Bodrum, Turkey..................(NEW for summer 2006!)
Bourgas, Bulgaria
Bristol................................(NEW three times daily from April!)
Brussels.............................x3 Daily
Chambery...........................(NEW seasonal service!)
Corfu, Greece
Cork..................................x1 Daily
Dalaman, Turkey
Dublin................................x3 Daily
Edinburgh...........................x4 Daily
Exeter...............................x1 Daily
Faro, Portugal.....................x1 Daily
Fuerteventura, Canary Islands
Funchal, Maderia
Geneva..............................(Seasonal)
Glasgow.............................x3 Daily
Heraklion, Greece
Ibiza..................................x4 Weekly
Innsbruck
Isle of Man..........................x1 Daily
Jersey................................x1 Daily
Lanzarote, Canary Islands
London Heathrow..................x4 Daily
Larnaca, Cyprus
Las Palmas, Canary Islands
Malta
Mahon.................................x3 Weekly (NEW for summer 2006!)
Malaga................................x2 Daily
Milan...................................(NEW announcement pending)
Murcia.................................x2 Daily
Newquay..............................(NEW direct service starts April)
Nice....................................x1 Daily
Palma..................................x2 Daily
Paris...................................x4 Daily
Paphos, Cyprus.....................(NEW for summer 2006!)
Pisa, Italy............................(NEW for summer 2006!)
Prague, Czech Republic...........x1 Daily
Reus
Rhodes, Greece.....................(NEW for summer 2006!)
Rome, Italy..........................(NEW for summer 2006!)
Southampton........................x5 Daily
Tenerife..............................(NEW scheduled service NOW FLYING!)
Varna, Bulgaria
Venice
Zakynthos, Greece

Jet2.com....................here
BMI...........................here
Eastern Airways...........here
Air South West............here
Ryanair......................here
FlyBe.........................here
KLM............................here
My Travel...................here
Astraeus.....................here
ThomsonFly.................here
British Jet...................here
Air Malta.....................here
Air Europa...................here
Balkan Holidays............here

Even more announcements to come in the next few weeks!!
Leeds Bradford, the airport on Leeds and Bradfords doorstep!

Last edited by SmartCity; November 20th, 2005 at 10:42 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:15 PM   #72
ahmedd

Is this ambitious enough?

Airport steps up plan for road and rail links

25-year plan calls for better terminal facilities and many more parking spaces

AIRPORT bosses are stepping up plans to improve road and rail access to Leeds-Bradford Airport following the collapse of the supertram scheme.
The road and rail proposals form part of a 25-year masterplan published today which will guide the future development and expansion of the country's 15th biggest airport.
Leeds-Bradford has expanded rapidly in recent years and the growth is predicted to continue. It is now used by 2.6m passengers, a figure expected to rise to nearly 7m by 2030. The number of people employed there is forecast to more than double to 3,500 over the next 25 years.
The blueprint proposes a new direct road link to the airport from the A65 and investigations are already underway for a new rail line running between the Leeds-Harrogate line and Guiseley with a station at the airport.
Other key proposals are:
• Improved terminal facilities
• Construction of a parallel taxiway alongside the runway
• New hotel and offices
• More car parking spaces
• Landscaped buffer zone between the airport and Scotland Lane
• Increase in the number of aircraft parking stands from 18 to 29 by 2016.
The plan sets out a case for increasing the number of short-stay parking spaces from 733 to 1,633 over the next 10 years, and long-stay spaces from 2,100 to 5,100.
The Government's Aviation White Paper, which called on airports to produce masterplans, suggested a 300m runway extension might be needed at Leeds-Bradford.
According to the masterplan, there are no plans for a runway extension, but the issue will be reconsidered after 2016. The masterplan will be reviewed every five years.
Over the next two months, exhibitions will be held in neighbourhoods and villages near the airport in a public consultation exercise.
Full details of the plan are on the airport website at www.lbia.co.uk.
Airport board chairman Coun Stuart Golton said it was important people were aware of possible airport developments and were given the opportunity to have their say. He added: "What is equally important is that we should avoid surprises for people."
[email protected]
22 November 2005
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:59 PM   #73
Fred2

I don't want to appear hypercritical or tetchy, but I would think that most of us do have access to the Yorkshire Evening Post and have already read this article and others like it posted by other contributors - often without attribution to the paper as its source.
Fred2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 01:24 PM   #74
Simon22

I think you are being a bit tetchy Fred, no harm in people doing this.
Simon22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 02:17 PM   #75
The Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2
I don't want to appear hypercritical or tetchy, but I would think that most of us do have access to the Yorkshire Evening Post and have already read this article and others like it posted by other contributors - often without attribution to the paper as its source.
You may not wish to appear hypercritical or tetchy but I'm afraid that's exactly what you're doing! However I do agree that sources should be credited.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:38 PM   #76
ahmedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2
Fred i take it you mean the article I posted? It clearly has on the bottom of it David marsh at YPN.

Back to my question are the plans imaginative enough? should they be aiming for even bigger growth?
Old November 23rd, 2005, 05:01 PM   #77
mike68

Likes (Received): 6

Even if people have read the articles in the YEP, I think it is important also to have the information in the relevant thread, so everyone reading and contributing to the thread is up to speed on the latest information.
mike68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 05:03 PM   #78
Jonaldo
Village Idiot

Likes (Received): 9

Specifically Ahmedd, I can comment on one aspect of this plan that seems well short of the mark.

This is the proposed A65 road link on page 34 of the masterplan (it is also shown on the summary map).

I simply cannot see how this will majorly benefit access to the airport to not only take the airport upto 2030 but also justify the cost.

From what I can gather looking at the vague maps (plus my knowledge or the area) the new link would start at the A65 by Rawdon Crematorium cut though the fields opposite, straight through Horsforth Golf Club and the underside of the runway by Scotland lane.

Surely the current link from the A65 onto Harrogate Rd pretty much covers that task anyway? If anyone else knows that area during peak traffic times then they will agree with me that the majority of the difficult journey to the airport is over by then from both Bradford and Leeds. I think this must be some poor compromise between servicing the Bradford and Leeds Ring rds.

If the Councils and Airport want to solve the problem of people getting to that airport for the next 25+ years then they must look at a much larger solution than that. I cannot speak for Bradford (maybe someone else who knows the traffic issues there better can) but IMHO an extension to the Otley old Rd connection from the Leeds Ring Rd straight to the airport is a much better solution.

Map Here

BTW Otley Old Rd runs from Just off Weetwood roundabout over the top of Cookridege/Tinshill and then veers off in the direction of Bramhope.

Anyone else any suggestions as to which way the rd can run
Jonaldo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 07:37 PM   #79
SmartCity
Building Sustainability

Firstly I have to say that this is the DRAFT proposal.

Passenger numbers to increase

I think that all in all the proposals look quite reasonable, the only thing that I feel doesn't add up are the expected passenger figures of 4.7 million by 2016. The airport handled 1.4 million passengers just three years ago,with 2.7 million expected this year. So the airport has doubled its passenger figures in three years but it doesn't expect passenger figures to double again for another ten years. It is my opinion that the airport will probably handle 4.7 million passengers by the year 2009 rising to 7 million by 2016. I have based this on growth at Leeds and other airports of a similar size and catchment.

Proposed future runway extensions

The report says this is to be looked at again every five years. Although an extention to the runway would be advantageous,the airport has a list of other priorities that must be addressed prior to this. Technical advances are now available at less cost to effectively increase the available runway lengh to aircraft. Alterations to the runways glideslopes can increase the available runway without extending the actual lengh of concrete.

Proposed paralllel taxiway and extended tunnel

This project is a MUST if the airport is to carry on increasing the number of aircraft using the airfield. At the moment aircraft have to make full back-tracks of the runway before takeoff and after landing. This proposal is fundermental to the airports future growth and it must be carried out as soon as possible.

Addition aircraft parking stands

The proposals are to increase the aircraft parking stands from 18 to 29. Again the time scale for this looks wrong. The airport often has all stands in use during the night time in the summer months. Extra parking stands are needed now if the airport is to attract additional based aircraft.

New dedicated service area

This area is used for a large number of things. Cargo facilities, Catering, Airline offices, Maintenance buildings, Airline Engineering offices, aircraft cleaning facilities, fuel farm etc. The present area located near the main roundabout at the airport is too small. The area also used as a staff entry point can be overcrowded at peek periods. The new area for most of the services will be located near the Scotland Lane area, also on the new proposed link road.

Addition carpark space

I think the number of surface carparks needs to be addressed, the airport must look at multi-storey car parking medium to long-term.

New rail links from Horsforth to Guiseley with a station at the airport

This is a fantastic proposal if it ever gets off the ground. The service could be used be people from Yeadon and Rawdon as well as airport passengers. Guiseley could also have a new station incorperated into these proposals.

New link road from the Leeds Ring Road to the airport

The airport needs a link road. the A658 and the A65 in the Aireborough area are very busy even off peek. The DfT has said in the White Paper for airports that without a new link road it cannot see how the A658 can cope without making it into a dual carrigeway. The proposed link road are fundermental to the future growth of the airport.

Proposed areas for airport related employment

There are two main areas earmarked for this, Airport West is already under construction and will generally be used as light industrial. The other main area will be opposite the main terminal and will probably be for new hotel developments.

My summary

I think the airports plans for sustainabe growth incorperating various environmental measures is the correct way forward. Whilst I feel the timescale for some of the proposals need adjusting, the projects proposed are reasonable. Overrall the proposals do allow for significant growth at the regions airport. Eventual runway extensions will allow for greater flexability by airlines to operate to destinations further afield. The airport needs to try and meet its goals sooner if it is to propel the airport into the next division.

Please submit your opinions and make a difference. www.lbia.co.uk

Last edited by SmartCity; November 23rd, 2005 at 07:49 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 07:44 PM   #80
AUHKnight

Why no flights into Asia??

Given the huge Asian community in West Yorkshire, wouldn't it make sense for an airline to run some flights into Asia from LBA?? There are also a large number of Asians in the Middle East and plenty of connecting flights from the Indian subcontinent that pass through hubs like Dubai...yet it seems there are no flights to anywhere further East than Turkey and no flights to the Middle East at all.

Is this political (has this been stitched up by Manchester) or is there some other reason for this?? I'm sick of driving up to Bradford from Heathrow and also sick of paying about 40% more to fly into Manchester from the Gulf. Anyone have any ideas?
AUHKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airports, airports of north england