daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2006, 08:29 PM   #121
Molly
( rolling pin )

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2
Of course it's a matter of opinion and taste. All I can say is that a great number of Leeds people (and they are the ones who have to live with it) agreed with my opinion. They liked it so much that they dubbed it 'The Kremlin' - which is an insult to the real Kremlin but is a reference to its Soviet-style massive obtrusive bulk. There is absolutely no grace or finesse about the brutal design. Fortunately over the years building has taken place around it, and more is yet promised, which will hide it at least from its worst western aspect.
well..until recently it's probably been one of the most iconic buildings in Leeds... you can't really miss it ( my friend excepted ) so you know you've arrived! Not all buidings need to be beautiful or dainty.
Molly no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2006, 08:36 PM   #122
Skopie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls12
i'm sure the footprint for bwp was much bigger,and how ridiculous does the grove pub look sat next to bwp!
I love the contrast between the tiny pub next to the massive highrise. I'm glad it was retained.

Plus the landlord must be pretty pleased to have so many office workers moving in next door. Also handy for the new residents of BWP, having a pub within stumbling distance of the elevator.
Skopie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 08:56 PM   #123
Fred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly
well..until recently it's probably been one of the most iconic buildings in Leeds... you can't really miss it ( my friend excepted ) so you know you've arrived! Not all buidings need to be beautiful or dainty.

Iconic, Molly ? I give up !
Fred2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 09:00 PM   #124
Fred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skopie
I love the contrast between the tiny pub next to the massive highrise. I'm glad it was retained.

Plus the landlord must be pretty pleased to have so many office workers moving in next door. Also handy for the new residents of BWP, having a pub within stumbling distance of the elevator.
Actually I also like the contrast and have seen this effect in other cities- particularly in America. eventually the Commercial pub in Sweet Street will also be dwarfed by surrounding developments. Peter Lorimer must be rubbing his hands !
Old June 21st, 2006, 09:41 PM   #125
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Likes (Received): 941

Quote:
Iconic, Molly ? I give up !
It's definately iconic, even if you don't like it !

Park Hill flats in Sheffield are iconic, Trellick Tower in London is iconic, but we would probably both agree that these two will not be in HRH Prince Charle's scrapbook of little architectural gems, (but both are listed !).

I definately like Quarry House, it has a strong style and bold identity which suits an architectural purpose where it is, it wouldn't suit other parts of Leeds but it suits where it is very well.
Rob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 09:46 PM   #126
JOliver

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
... They liked it so much that they dubbed it 'The Kremlin' - which is an insult to the real Kremlin ...
You know what, it DOES look like a Kremlin. Every time I pass it - which is rarely now, I feel nostalgie. Honest. Had it from my window view for some time and really enjoyed it.
JOliver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 11:45 PM   #127
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 1767

Its big and everyone knows bigger is better. It crowns the Eastern End of the city, and provides a focal point for The Headrow and Eastgate, and already marks the eastern edge of the city, and this will be enhances as the Magnificent Mile scheme comes in with The Headrow extended up to the glass curtain of Quarry House.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 12:03 AM   #128
Fred2

Can see I'm outvoted on this. Anyone on my side ?
Old June 22nd, 2006, 12:37 AM   #129
Stig282

I am!
Stig282 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:05 AM   #130
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 1767

you missed the word 'not' off that statement.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:32 AM   #131
Fred2

Another comment at the time on the 'Kremlin' by an architectural journal; "A baffling exercise in controlled ugliness".
Old June 22nd, 2006, 12:49 PM   #132
di Livio

Likes (Received): 1125

Quote:
I'd rather it wasn't there, but it does have a presence and power, particularly when you get close to it. I don't like the way it ruins the view down the Headrow, and it shows its worst side to the city centre.

I remember, shortly after it was built, my mum, in her inimitable style, said she thought the smoke billowing out of the antenna made it look like a giant crematorium. It's also funny when all the civil servants come out for lunch, heading down those steps like an army of automotons.
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 02:19 PM   #133
Fred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by di Livio
I'd rather it wasn't there, but it does have a presence and power, particularly when you get close to it. I don't like the way it ruins the view down the Headrow, and it shows its worst side to the city centre.

I remember, shortly after it was built, my mum, in her inimitable style, said she thought the smoke billowing out of the antenna made it look like a giant crematorium. It's also funny when all the civil servants come out for lunch, heading down those steps like an army of automotons.
Very good ! Your picture, di Livio, shows the best (eastern) aspect of the building but still werllo conveys its brooding hulk.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 02:21 PM   #134
Fred2

Sorry, 'werllo' was a typo for 'well'.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:30 PM   #135
LS8
break

Cool

Quote:

I agree with you fred, this building has a much too big foot print. Preventing flow of pedestrians and line of sight too any further north of the named building therefore signifying an end to the city centre centre halting further development and expansion of the city northwards.
LS8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:48 PM   #136
Simon22

Quote:

I am, I think it is awful. A huge monstrosity of that awful 'Leeds Look' circa 1990.

Comparing it to the The Kremlin is unfair at leaast the Kremlin has some architectural merit, this thing has bugger all IMO.
Simon22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:53 PM   #137
Pigpen

It certainly has a Eastern European flavour, post war perhaps. Kermlin? May as well compare it to York Minster. Any how it's red brick bulk will so be eclipsed by the Mould green of Gateway.
Pigpen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:05 PM   #138
Fred2

Seems as if I am not outvoted after all on this mostrosity.

I am really gratified that there are other people on this board who are concerned not just with size and height but with quality of design as well.

A toast to you !
Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:26 PM   #139
Pigpen

A short signed 90's design that perhaps will be viewed with regret now Leeds seems to have a far more bold approach to it's development. Alot of wasted space that could have be home for at least two or three taller building projects with space between for much needed "green" area's in the city. Which takes us back to the far smaller footprint for Lumiere. I fully back the project but have to question why it is being jammed into such a tight area, surrounded by a far old quarter of the city.There are vast areas of land just down White Hall Road that could have sited this project, and allowed further modern projects such as Globe Roads Green Bank to complement it???

However rather it be approved where it is than not at all, just feel it adds to the patch work lay out of Leeds. Maybe by 2010(ish) when more projects complete all will look well?
Pigpen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:29 PM   #140
ahmedd

Likes (Received): 2

I really like it, does that tip the balance again?

Damien Hirst named one of his favourite buildings as the Dental Hospital building in Leeds. I used to really dislike the concrete building, but he described it as brooding and having a presence which on reflection it does. It's also where the medical trainees do their autopsy training so you can see where Damien may have got his fondness for mortality.