daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2006, 11:39 AM   #41
JOliver

Likes (Received): 71

Great shots, Jebus!
JOliver no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #42
aviator

Likes (Received): 848

Wandering down by the waterfront, I noticed that work has started on 1 Brewery Wharf. This final element of the Brewery Wharf development will comprise a 12-storey block to include office space and around 150 flats. The space has been used for car parking until recently but it is now fenced off and excavators are starting to remove the concrete surface.

I seem to recall somebody posted renders of the proposal a while back but I'm blessed if I can remember where. Sorry about that, folks.
aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #43
di Livio

Likes (Received): 1133

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator
I seem to recall somebody posted renders of the proposal a while back but I'm blessed if I can remember where. Sorry about that, folks.
No problemo, dude.

Quote:
Final Phase of Brewery Wharf Unveiled
31-Jan-2006

This is how the crowning achievement of Leeds acclaimed Brewery Wharf scheme and one of the most valuable buildings in Yorkshire will look when complete.

These images officially unveil the striking 30m office and apartments building - 1 Brewery Wharf - which is set to become a major new landmark in the city, says developer Rushbond Plc

The 12-storey building, bordering the mixed-use developments Western Courtyard, will incorporate 151 apartments, 10,000 sq ft of ground-floor offices and 85 car parking spaces.
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #44
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Likes (Received): 941

Well that's good, it continues a string of continuous mid rise development from the Royal Armouries to this point, looks like quite a flashy looking block with it's sloping glass top.

The 15 storey Opal 1 building is having all the wrappings removed at the moment, and its looking really good. We just need someone to nip along Kirkstall Road and get a shot of it.
Rob está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #45
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by di Livio
No problemo, dude.

Ah that beauty, I'd blanked that out of my mind but seeing it again whilst eating nearly made my Pad Thai recurr on me.

Absolutely minging!
Smoggie_Si está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #46
jimbo

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie_Si
Ah that beauty, I'd blanked that out of my mind but seeing it again whilst eating nearly made my Pad Thai recurr on me.

Absolutely minging!
ha! exotic cooking adventures or has one been feasting on Bermondsey's numerous takeout opportunities again?

crap grey bricks again, and no doubt more disappointing cladding. Sadly more identikit cack. Complete the set i suppose.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #47
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
ha! exotic cooking adventures or has one been feasting on Bermondsey's numerous takeout opportunities again?

crap grey bricks again, and no doubt more disappointing cladding. Sadly more identikit cack. Complete the set i suppose.
Hey Jimbo! Just a takeaway to cheer me up after my suitcase vanishing in the ether between here and New York and the smogmobile living up to its Lots of Trouble Usually Serious acronym by draining its battery in my 10 days away! Can't get into the bloody thing. British cars eh?

Anyway I digress, er it looks a bit like the Ark Royal doesn't it? ALso what happened to Leeds Threads 5 and 6?
Old September 5th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #48
Subliving
belfastuniguy

Likes (Received): 182

Well, I suppose in it's shiney simpleness it'll look good for a couple of years. And it'll fit into the area quite well I guess. I know we complain about these samey developments, but they bulk up the city, and fill int he gaps between the quality stuff. I mean, not everything can afford to be a masterpiece of architectural design. I'm sure when all the red-brick mills were being built in and around the centre were being erected, no one thought that they were pretty, beautiful or high-quality. I bet it was thought that they were all identikit pieces. However, now they're seen as being of a common theme from a certain era. I don't know of anyone who has anything against them. They're some of the most fashionable places to live now. I'm not saying what I'm meaning particularly well, I hope someone can put it better for me.

Subliving.
Subliving no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #49
magicrealist

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie_Si
ALso what happened to Leeds Threads 5 and 6?
Ah, well if you recall I suggested that as the 4 was nearly up to 1500 posts [and the limit was supposed to be 500] we should skip 5 and 6 and go straight to 7. Alas, the rules have changed and >500 posts are now considered OK.

Whatever. But, could someone unstickify the 4 and stickify the 7?
Old September 5th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #50
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicrealist
Ah, well if you recall I suggested that as the 4 was nearly up to 1500 posts [and the limit was supposed to be 500] we should skip 5 and 6 and go straight to 7. Alas, the rules have changed and >500 posts are now considered OK.

Whatever. But, could someone unstickify the 4 and stickify the 7?
Hey Magic! I wondered if the Hoegaarden and Moules out in Brussels had caused some counting issues

Have you seen the Manneken Pis with one of his outfits on? I seem to recall the Elvis outfit being particularly spectacular. Those crazy Belgians!
Old September 6th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #51
homesweethome

Likes (Received): 33

Looking for Information

I wonder if anyone on here could help me. I am trying to find out some information about my Grandpa who recently died. He was an architect who started out his career after the war and was involved in many projects in and around yorkshire mostly housing. And this is as much as i know, my grandma did inform me recently that he was in volved with the park hill flats in sheffield but didnt know to what extent,i do know he was nt the top archtect on this as he was a chap called Ivor smith. I think when he worked on this it was early on in his career so he may jus have done drawings for it etc.

I do know that he worked for leeds council and had something to do with the planning of new housing estates but again this is all i know. Where would i begin my research to find out what he was responsible for? Is there any archives in leeds that tell you this sort of information? I read these forums regulary so i know there is a big mix of people on them surely someone could point me in the right direction.

Many thanks
homesweethome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #52
livefrom
Juno

Manor Mills

Sorry if this is a duplicate or if I'm posting in the wrong place. Please direct me to the right thread if necessary.

I do remember reading on the Leeds Metro Area that the price points at Manor Mills aren't so awful. But I cannot for the life of me find that conversation, and I have been looking. Can someone help me out? What do people think of the Manor Mills design?

And: I like Leeds because the clash between riproaring capitalism and the old-time burgher mentality makes for an interesting, if at times, perverse life (by perverse, I mean some of the developments and the speculators who make it impossible for first-time buyers).
livefrom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #53
di Livio

Likes (Received): 1133

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesweethome
Where would i begin my research to find out what he was responsible for? Is there any archives in leeds that tell you this sort of information? I read these forums regulary so i know there is a big mix of people on them surely someone could point me in the right direction.

Many thanks
Sorry to hear about your loss.

To find the kind of information you're looking for, i suspect the Civic Trust would be worth contacting, or the Yorkshire Archeological society.

http://www.leedscivictrust.org.uk/

http://www.laplata.co.uk/yas/content/about.html

Failing that, the central library might have something in their local history section

Last edited by di Livio; September 6th, 2006 at 05:39 PM.
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #54
Liam

Sorry but my view seems to contradict the current wave of opinion - I rather like the look of this. It beats spastic blue....
Liam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #55
Fred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesweethome
I wonder if anyone on here could help me. I am trying to find out some information about my Grandpa who recently died.
I do know that he worked for leeds council and had something to do with the planning of new housing estates but again this is all i know. Where would i begin my research to find out what he was responsible for? Is there any archives in leeds that tell you this sort of information? I read these forums regulary so i know there is a big mix of people on them surely someone could point me in the right direction.

Many thanks
Suggest contact the Local History Section, Central Reference Library, Calverley Street, Leeds 1. They may search all the relevant sources but may charge a fee for time.
Fred2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #56
pfeatherstone

Likes (Received): 13

see criterian place is out for pre-planning 46 mil
pfeatherstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #57
SimCity4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfeatherstone
see criterian place is out for pre-planning 46 mil
Have you got more information on it. where did you finde it out. has any one ells heard about Criterian Place
SimCity4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 04:50 PM   #58
Alphie

Had a look at the www.demandsattention.com website which used to be plastered around the old Allders, and noticed it's had a relaunch. It seeems they've branded the development (perhaps unimaginatively) 'Broadgate'. It's advertising '4 flagship retail stores' and a lot of office space. The 'magnificent 6300 sq ft feature glazed atrium' sounds interesting. I can't imagine where it would be.
Alphie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #59
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 1769

Maybe it will be almost like a shopping centre then? An atrium could go at the back between the SJ centre maybe? Or they might have knocked through some of the floors to create an atrium though it...
Old September 13th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #60
Alexi Lalas

Likes (Received): 76

aren't they building the atrium on the unfinished corner of the building?
Alexi Lalas no está en línea   Reply With Quote