daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #61
Fred2

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi Lalas
aren't they building the atrium on the unfinished corner of the building?
There seems to be no building activity on the exterior.
Fred2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #62
di Livio

Likes (Received): 1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlRP
The 'magnificent 6300 sq ft feature glazed atrium' sounds interesting. I can't imagine where it would be.
Nice find, AIRP.

Is it not likely to be the large glass extension at the top of building? I think they will add a couple of storeys and the central space at the top will have a big glass element. (Broadgate is one of the central spaces in Coventry. Ha, ha.)

I noticed Commercial Street is being re-paved at last. It seems they've kept the grey setts from the previous development and added square stone blocks to replace the hideous grey and pink early '90s effort.

Last edited by di Livio; September 14th, 2006 at 12:01 AM.
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #63
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 1765

That is to be finished how it was originally planned like the other end. Maybe the atrium will be over Dortmund Sq? Its a mystery spose!
Old September 13th, 2006, 09:22 PM   #64
Val Verde

Likes (Received): 342

Quote:
Had a look at the www.demandsattention.com website which used to be plastered around the old Allders, and noticed it's had a relaunch. It seeems they've branded the development (perhaps unimaginatively) 'Broadgate'. It's advertising '4 flagship retail stores' and a lot of office space. The 'magnificent 6300 sq ft feature glazed atrium' sounds interesting. I can't imagine where it would be.
Well it seems good to see this development progressing. Why couldn't they just call it 'The Old Lewis's' instead of the rather random sounding Broadgate which undoubtedly many people would still be what many people would call this building as the old Lewis's or old Allders anyway. Still rather basic website and have any detailed renders been released of how it will look yet? Also what will the glass atrium be used for is it a restaurant perhaps and has there been any more news regarding possible retailers on this site other than what I heard a few months ago of Sainsburys and Heals? Hope this will turn out to be a good conversion though.
Val Verde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #65
LeedsLad

Likes (Received): 296

I seem to vaguely remember the refurb involves some work to the back of the building - there is a small access road there currently - could this be the atrium? Can't imagine Dortmond Sq being part of the development...
LeedsLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #66
jimbo

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Had a look at the www.demandsattention.com website which used to be plastered around the old Allders, and noticed it's had a relaunch. It seeems they've branded the development (perhaps unimaginatively) 'Broadgate'. It's advertising '4 flagship retail stores' and a lot of office space. The 'magnificent 6300 sq ft feature glazed atrium' sounds interesting. I can't imagine where it would be.
good find! Add this Broadgate to Coventry's, then add in London's....

...quite possibly the biggest single site scheme in the City, next door to Liverpool Street station and about to get a 35 storey office tower.

Let's hope they didn't pay hefty bucks to some brand / design company to recycle that name.

Perhaps they are removing the crossing escalators in the middle (which you probably don't need if there will be 4 separate units), and creating an atrium space through the centre of the building?
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #67
Fred2

Why not call it 'The Light' in any other language than English or French which we already have ? How about 'La Luz' in Spanish or 'Свет' in Russian ? What is the Arabic for 'The Light' ?
Old September 14th, 2006, 02:26 AM   #68
ahmedd

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2
What is the Arabic for 'The Light' ?
'Diya'

not as catchy is it?
Old September 14th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #69
aviator

Likes (Received): 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeedsLad
I seem to vaguely remember the refurb involves some work to the back of the building - there is a small access road there currently - could this be the atrium? Can't imagine Dortmond Sq being part of the development...
LeedsLad, I think you might be onto something there. Di Livio suggests that the rooftop extension could provide the roof of an atrium and the notes from the revised planning presentation, considered by the Plans Panel in March, indicate that the rear facade will be altered to give a glazed central section:

"The rear elevation facing Mark Lane has also been revised such that the existing fourth and fifth floors will be retained in full, resulting in a reduction in the span of the proposed curtain wall. However, this reduction would not be substantial enough to adversely affect the effect of the curtain walling, and this curtain wall of glass will still be framed by defined reveals. In addition, due to the existing imbalances in this elevation there would no adverse effect on symmetry. The stone flutes to the rear will be retained and reconstructed as part of the infilling of the ‘missing’ eastern end of the building. As a result the revised proposal allows the proposed alterations and extension to integrate more successfully with the existing building.

Full height glazing is to be installed at ground floor level to the Dortmund Square and New Briggate ends of the building to provide views into the retail areas from Mark Lane. These revisions will serve to visually open up Mark Lane bring a new level of life and vibrancy to this under utilised thoroughfare."
aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #70
Fred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedd
'Diya'

not as catchy is it?

Oh Diya ! (couldn't resist that)
Old September 14th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #71
Fred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator

Full height glazing is to be installed at ground floor level to the Dortmund Square and New Briggate ends of the building to provide views into the retail areas from Mark Lane. These revisions will serve to visually open up Mark Lane bring a new level of life and vibrancy to this under utilised thoroughfare."

Mark Lane is so neglected that there now isn't even a street sign for it.

Its name means boundary lane and that is probably also the original meaning of Marsh Lane.
Old September 14th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #72
harryd

Likes (Received): 121

On Sunday (just gone) there seemed to be a little bit of work taking place - they were craning some scaffold onto the roof of the 'unfinished' section near New Briggate - though thats probably for some preparatory work rather than anything proper.

I personally think this could be a really good scheme in the vein of the Light & Primark bringing new life to a building which had just gotten a bit tired. Hopefully it'll be moving in earnest soon.
harryd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #73
harryd

Likes (Received): 121

I spotted this in todays YEP..

£20m smart cash
THE CENTRAL riverside area of Leeds is to receive a £20m regeneration boost.
It follows the acquisition of the former Thistle Hotels headquarters building on The Calls by Leeds-based property development company, Bracken Ltd.
Bracken has bought the one acre site from construction firm Taylor Woodrow for an undisclosed sum. Taylor Woodrow was advised by Savills and Hill Woolhouse, and both agents will be retained to market the scheme. Ricksons solicitors advised Bracken Ltd on the acquisition.
Initial plans for the site, which fronts onto the River Aire, include the extensive refurbishment of the existing buildings, which total 60,000 sq ft, into contemporary office space.
The site also has consent for the development of a further 50,000 sq ft of residential apartments.
Bracken Ltd is a property investment and development company based in Horsforth, Leeds. It was established in 1995 by Matthew Fuller and Neil Clark, joint managing directors.
Mr Fuller said: "The redevelopment of this strategic site is highly significant as it will complete the regeneration of the entire Calls area.
"Up until now, the dilapidated Thistle buildings have marked a distinctive cut-off point from the regenerated area with its smart restaurants, apartments and office buildings – our dynamic plans will change that."
Paul Fairhurst, director of Savills (Leeds), added: "The office element of the scheme will undoubtedly prove a major draw for companies wanting high quality premises in a vibrant, fashionable area of the city."

Is this the site kind of between Calls Landing and the Transport and General Workers building? Thats one of the few sites I can think outstanding on the riverside.
harryd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #74
Fred2

I think the site is referred to as Warehouse Hill.
Old September 15th, 2006, 07:35 PM   #75
di Livio

Good news re: the Thistle Hotel. I went past there yesterday and thought it was a disgrace. Hopefully the two storey white warehouse frontage on the Calls will be restored too.

On another note, I've just finished Kevin 'the beard' Grady's Illustrated History of Leeds and the University's fantastic 21st Century Leeds, which is available for £9.99 (half-price) from the reception of the uni's Parkinson building.

http://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/publicat...tCenturyLeeds/

The last few pages of the former are worth dipping into for Grady's thoughts on Leeds' present and future.

For example,

Quote:
"Today some people argue that the great prosperity of Leeds in recent years has made its rulers complacent about its future prospects. Comparative studies into the infrastructures of England's core cities suggest Leeds has fallen behind in the provision of important aspects of infrastructure which other major cities, particularly those in Europe regard as essential...It has no major modern iconic or landmark buildings designed by an internationally acclaimed architect. Its waterfront, though attrractive to lookat, offers little more than the Royal Armouries to draw visitors. While other cities have built new multi-million pound art galleries and museums, the Leeds municipal collections have been allowed to reside in sub-standard accomodation."
Old September 15th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #76
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Likes (Received): 937

Fair comments from Grady perhaps, but fairly meaningless unless he can stump up the £30m+ for a new museum or art centre .. we haven't had a free one provided like Newcastle or Glasgow. As for the iconic building by acclaimed architect, watch this space.
Rob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #77
Fred2

Yes, Burt and Grady's book is excellent and I often consult it. To be fair, however, Grady's remarks were made 12 years ago when the book was first published. There has been much progress since then.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 09:52 AM   #78
di Livio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2
Yes, Burt and Grady's book is excellent and I often consult it. To be fair, however, Grady's remarks were made 12 years ago when the book was first published. There has been much progress since then.
It was in a second edition from 2002, but it didn't seem that much different to the 1994 edition.

If the blarsted server had been working on Monday afternoon i would have mentioned a walking tour along the riverside with Dr. Rachael Unsworth.I think it's pretty good that we have an institution in the city that does this kind of thing. No doubt she had some constructive criticism for Brewery Wharf/Whitehall riverside.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 10:27 AM   #79
di Livio

From much earlier in the week.

It was quite telling that in the programme broadcast on Monday/Tuesday, Hutchinson was very surprised to hear John Thorp talk of a 54-storey tower in Leeds. "54 storeys!? In Leeds!?"
He really didn't seem to know very much about the city he was discussing. I also don't share his view that Clarence Dock is a 'soulless place', it doesn't feel that way at the moment and it's not even finished yet.

Andrew Carter responded by saying he was fed up of people coming from outside the city, taking a 'snapshot view' and then coming out with 'headline-grabbing, outlandish statements'.
Even Kevin Grady weighed in by saying Hutchinson didn't undertsand the city sufficiently.

Quote:
BBC News, Tuesday

Is Leeds missing out?

A leading architect thinks Leeds is missing out on the opportunity to create a truly great city. Leeds is one of the UK’s fastest growing cities, new investment is flooding into Leeds and the skyline is changing daily but...

In a hard-hitting look at Leeds, for BBC One's Inside Out, Maxwell Hutchinson, a critic and former leader of the UK’s architects, takes a look at Leeds' plans for the future.

Maxwell Hutchinson is not optimistic, as he claims in the film, "there are worrying signs that Yorkshire is about to make the same mistakes that we have made in London over 20 years ago".

One of Maxwell's concerns is the dearth of services in city centre Leeds, he is concerned at the lack of doctors, dentists and schools. He believes that one of the problems that Leeds is storing up is not building city-centre communities.

Nor is Maxwell that enamoured with some of Leeds' new buildings, he calls the Clarence Dock development a "mundane collection" of buildings and an "incredibly soulless place".

Hutchinson says that "Leeds has a once in a lifetime opportunity to create a city centre". An opportunity he believes is being missed.

He is incredulous when he is told that only about 5% of city centre properties are owner occupied. With such a large proportion of properties in the buy-to-let sector he believes it means "the centre of Leeds no longer belongs to the people who live in Leeds".

Some of Leeds' development does come in for praise, including the area around the Calls but overall Maxwell Hutchinson believes that "...in two or three decades these shiny new buildings will be following Quarry Hill down the spiral of decay.

Quote:
R.S, Leeds
I don't get comments like 'the city no longer belongs to them (residents of Leeds) any more'. Virtualy all the new apartment buildings have been built from derelict old buildings or on empty brown field sites that had nothing on them and were just used as car parks or for dumping rubbish, and there was no prospect of anything being built on them. So if entrepeneurs come and build new city residential buildings on these derelict sites, that hasn't changed anything about the ownership of Leeds by the residents as none of these sites were owned by Leeds residents in the first place. As for Leeds being overpriced, property prices are set by market demand, not by any individual or group of people, so who are you trying to blame ? People who buy them and pay the going price have every right to do so, this is a free democratic society.

Ian De whitkirk
I think it's daft to state that clarence dock is a desolate place,when it's only just half finished and is surely Leeds classiest looking big new development so far.OK some other new schemes look rather ordinary but Leeds will have iconic new buildings aplenty if and when schemes such as the Lumiere, Criterion place and the Kite tower get off the ground.The city might then be famed for something other than ****** shopping.

Richard Preece
I really feel sorry for the native residents of Leeds, who are on low-incomes, the city no longer belongs to them anymore. It certainly is shocking that only 5% of apartments in the city centre are actually owner-occupied, with many of the apartments now worth less than their purchase price. I can only see the situation getting worse. Leeds for me has to be the most over-priced and over-rated city in the UK!

Moira Corcoran
I agree with Maxwell Hutchinson to a certain extent. However, I am sure the planners/property developers have done their homework and know what they are doing. Having said that, I do agree that Leeds is becoming "too big for its boots" and the planners have forgotten the less well off in our city. Quarry Hill however is not a good example as its was Council owned and it was their lack of investment in its upkeep that lead to its downfall!

R.S, Leeds
If Leeds skyscrapers don't get built, it'll be a disaster for the city, we will be permanently in the shadow of our competing neighbours and not be taken seriously as a major city. If you don't like skyscrapers, don't live near a big city. We need the other infrastructure in place too, but the government are refusing to fund any of it.

John Osborne
The problems with the new buildings in Leeds city centre, aren't that they look ugly (which they do). No the problem is we need more old style council housing, not social housing or these over priced carbuncles.

Gerri Kostrzewa
I agree with the concerns. Much of the new build is homogenous with little variety. The high rise should be interspersed with mews style developments. Where are the public open spaces? Where is the iconic public building - Gateshead has Baltic Mills and Sage Centre, Salford has the Lowry - Leeds is failing to deliver public art and public spaces. If the city council do not demonstrate their civic pride no one will be proud of the city

Robert Shaw
I think Maxwell Hutchinson is right to some degree there needs to some safe guards to ensure that the infrastructures that the suburbs take for granted should be also be avaible in the center. This is up to the town the planners and council. But everyone reckonises that swapping life in a leaft grove for a 2 bed in the city center has it's own pros and cons. I can't walk outside a 3 bedroom semi in Rawdon and pick up a latte in Cafe Neru or visit the art gallery, or have a five minute walk home after a nice meal on Greek Street. I have M & S food at the train station as a corner shop and i can drive to super market in less 5 minutes at Hunslet. What is the alternative?Another collection of car parks and brownfield sites. A city that had so much potential but never quite realised it. As Maxwell Hutchinson describes places like Clarence Dock souless, i guess we can all say that about any newly built estate.

Andy, Skipton
I think that Leeds' skyscraper revolution is a disaster for the city's skyline. However, at least the future residents of Bridgewater Place will be next door to one of the city's finest traditional pubs - the Grove!

Robert S.
City living isn't for everyone ! Some love and same hate it, this guy no doubt lives in a traditional area and wouldn't like it, fine, but why does he get to publicise his personal view like this ? Leeds is a big city with many comunities including those in the city centre, and ALL major cities have a city centre comunity living in apartments, thats been the way in Europe for many decades and is now spreading across all the UK cities at last. Clarence Dock isn't soulles at all, its a great place and I love it already; it'll be great when it's finally finished, but I don't expect everyone to feel the same way. I agree that more facilities (corner shops etc) are needed for the city centre community, but they are starting to appear now, these things just take time. Leeds is a major city, and should have a good skyline, some good quality high rise buildings is what this city needs to add to the one currently under construction if we are to be taken seriously as a major city. For those that really don't like it should consider living somewhere more suitable as there are plenty of smaller and more historic towns around, instead of trying to block this city's progress all the time.

Last edited by di Livio; September 22nd, 2006 at 10:34 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 08:08 PM   #80
di Livio

Quote:
[I]Future's looking rosy for the Met
Ultra-modern centre set for Civic Hall area

By DAVID MARSH

LEEDS Metropolitan University is expanding – with a major new landmark building behind the Civic Hall.
At the heart of the multi-million pound centre is a distinctive circular lecture theatre – the Rose Bowl – linked to a five-storey U-shaped building by a glass atrium.
The Leeds Business School will be based in the building, along with offices, teaching areas, lecture theatres, cafe and 269 parking spaces, most of which will in the basement.
Leeds City Council will be allocated 26 of the basement spaces.
The majority of the rest will be open to the public.
The building will be built largely of glass and reconstituted Portland stone.
A report to the council's city centre plans panel said the south side of the rose bowl would be clad in laminated enamelled glass with a metallic green tinge.
Part of the lecture theatre pod will sit on a series of Y-shaped columns.
W-shape
The Rose Bowl is phase one of a larger scheme proposed for the site, now a 173-space car park.
Phase two, for which detailed plans have still to be submitted, will be up to 12-storeys high. It is likely to feature two buildings arranged in a W-shape along Woodhouse Lane.
The report said: "The two buildings would be linked at higher levels by bridges and the external finishing would comprise extensive glazing."
Daljit Singh, a planning officer, told the panel that the Rose Bowl met the design brief for the site, as it reflected the geometry of the Civic Hall and had good pedestrian links and active frontages.
Coun Elizabeth Minkin (Lab, Kirkstall) said: "It will be a fine building, dependent on the quality of the material and the workmanship being followed through."
The panel approved the scheme in principle and agreed planning officials could grant consent once a range of planning conditions had been agreed.

20 September 2006[I]