search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Rate Our Talls > Rate Our Skylines

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Hmmm?
10 68 19.10%
9.5 27 7.58%
9 24 6.74%
8.5 16 4.49%
8 41 11.52%
7.5 12 3.37%
7 28 7.87%
6.5 13 3.65%
6 22 6.18%
5.5 6 1.69%
5 16 4.49%
4.5 6 1.69%
4 9 2.53%
3.5 20 5.62%
3 or less? 48 13.48%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 27th, 2005, 05:54 AM   #81
Jayayess1190

Likes (Received): 45

Is there good shopping in Yellowknife?
In Yellowknife, there are a large number of stores offering an extensive selection of goods. In fact, Yellowknife has undergone a significant retail boom as a number of large, national chains have moved into town, including: Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire, SAAN, Shopper's Drug Mart, Extra Foods, Bata and Mark's Work Warehouse. These chains, combined with Yellowknife's more traditional specialty shops and boutiques, give Yellowknifers excellent shopping facilities, both in the downtown core and the Frame Lake suburb.

What about restaurants?
Yellowknife has recently become home to a number of nationally known restaurants and fast food chains, including Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Boston Pizza, A&W, Dairy Queen, Tim Hortons and Dominos. As well, there is a selection of local choices offering everything from gourmet dining to many international favourites. Delicious Northern delicacies such as musk ox, caribou and Arctic char are also available at many restaurants

http://www.yellowknife.ca/__shared/assets/2831467_City_Map1678.pdf City map

Aerial picture of the city:

http://www.maca.gov.nt.ca/government...ellowknife.jpg

Downtown Yellowknifes main street is Franklin Avenue members.tripod.com/ ~higharc/yellowk.html

Last edited by Jayayess1190; July 27th, 2005 at 06:20 AM.
Jayayess1190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2005, 05:58 AM   #82
Jayayess1190

Welcome

The Basic Facts

Yellowknife is situated on the north shore of Great Slave Lake, the fifth largest lake in North America and the ninth largest lake in the world.

Yellowknife is home to over 18,000 people. Interestingly, Yellowknife has almost half of the population of the entire Northwest Territories! Yellowknife boasts one of the fastest growing populations in Canada. It has twice been recognized by national surveys as one of the top ten places to live in Canada.

The recent discovery of diamonds north of Yellowknife rivals the early boom days of gold, earning Yellowknife the title…Diamond Capital of North America. In addition, Yellowknife is the business, political, transportation and communications center of the Northwest Territories.

A little bit of history

Yellowknife is a town built on a rich gold mining heritage. Yellowknife began in the 1930’s when gold was discovered. In fact, the city of Yellowknife is built on gold with mine tunnels burrowing deep beneath the city streets.

How YellowKnife got its name:

Despite it’s strong ties to gold, the name Yellowknife does not derive from gold but from copper. So how did Yellowknife get its name? It actually goes back much further than the 1930s. In 1770, when Samuel Hearne was exploring the Great Slave Lake area, he encountered a tribe of Aboriginal people who used copper-bladed, yellow-colored knives. Fur traders soon began to refer to these people as the Yellowknives, and the tribe’s home become known as Yellowknife.

It wasn’t until 1896 that gold was discovered but because of the inaccessibility of the land, the rush did not begin until the 1930s. Aviation opened the North and the city began to grow and expand its boundaries in the 1940s and 1950s.

Yellowknife became the capital in 1967 and was declared a city in 1970. In fact, it is actually the only ‘city’ in the Northwest Territories.

Home to the ‘Northern Lights’

Yellowknife is one of the best locations in the world for viewing the aurora borealis or northern lights. People come from all over the world to Yellowknife during the winter months to see the unique and beautiful northern lights.

You may wonder why these northern lights occur? Well, to put it simply, the aurora or northern lights result from forms of electromagnetic energy that are drawn to the earths’ poles, literally charging the atmosphere and causing it to glow.

Some fun facts

For those into fishing, lake trout have tipped the scales at over 70 lbs and Northern Pike at over 30 lbs.

Who says Yellowknife doesn’t have its share of celebrity ties? A piece of Hollywood can actually be found in Yellowknife. A small street in Old Town, Lois Lane, was named after Superman’s girlfriend played by Margot Kidder, who was born in Yellowknife. Also, Ragged Ass Road, which inspired Tom Cochrane’s album, is located in Yellowknife.

Yellowknife sits on the North shore of Great Slave Lake. The Mackenzie River, originating from this lake, drains into the Arctic Ocean. Together with its tributaries, it is the longest river in the world.

Yellowknife ranks #1 among all Canadian cities for summer sunshine. In June alone, there are over 375 hours of sunshine.

Last edited by Jayayess1190; July 27th, 2005 at 06:24 AM.
Jayayess1190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 06:25 AM   #83
Jayayess1190

Bus schedules: http://www.yellowknife.ca/Residents/Bus_Schedules.html

(New!) Yellowknife Transit is the only transit system in the Northwest Territories, providing the 17,000 residents of the territorial capital with two routes during the week and a one on weekends. 2485 is a Thomas Transit-Liner, shown on a cool day in May 2005. (Photo by Chris J.)

From http://www.tomsbuspage.ca/Misc.htm
Old July 27th, 2005, 06:11 PM   #84
mlovecan

Likes (Received): 0

8/10. Hard to imagine a "skyline" in a city of 17,000. One building is 20 stories?!? Wow!
mlovecan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:11 PM   #85
♣628.finst
Optimum

Likes (Received): 5

I'm amazed how could a city with 17,000 inhabitants build highrises like that. Probably because of those living in poorer parts build them. And I am happy to see new houses are building in those areas. (Yes, lots of beautiful houses are replacing those old one, but those poorer people cannot afford them)
♣628.finst no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #86
Zarkon
Metalhead User

Likes (Received): 4

really nice. 7
Old September 7th, 2005, 03:09 AM   #87
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8126

8/10
Old September 7th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #88
phillyskyline

hmmm, thank u for sharing those pics... so is there a raging nightlife in YellowKnife?
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:15 PM   #89
chris_yk

there is a pretty "raging" nightlife if you walk down 50th street on a Friday or Saturday nite, it's home to the Gold Range bar and things can get pretty crazy there
chris_yk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 04:45 AM   #90
Endrit
BANNED

LOL

Keeping in mind that this city is close to the North Pole... and having a skyline?

9/10
Endrit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2006, 07:55 PM   #91
forvine

Likes (Received): 3

amazing... 7/10
forvine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 12:28 AM   #92
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

Such a cool name for a city. 7/10 considering its size and location.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 12:39 AM   #93
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1537

7/10
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 02:08 PM   #94
Sinjin P.
TheLibotero

Likes (Received): 535

7/10
Old January 3rd, 2006, 01:18 AM   #95
Phriggin' Ogre
American't

Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Likes (Received): 2300

10/10.... just imagine if the city had 17 million people!
Old January 3rd, 2006, 03:24 AM   #96
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

Sorry I don't like this. 4
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #97
Oaronuviss
The Mighty.

Likes (Received): 1504

I'd absolutly love to visit Yellowknife, from what I hear and read it's an amazing place.
Jayayess1190, thank you very much for adding in many facts I did not know! You sound very interested in this tucked away Canadian gem!

Keep votin'!
Old January 29th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #98
Franky

Likes (Received): 9

Amazing for 17,000 people! Is there a reason why they build that way? It would have thought the permafrost would make high-rise construction impossible. I give 8.5
Franky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #99
algonquin

Likes (Received): 22

I love these photos, especially those showing the lake and the skyline together. The rocks and trees are very beautiful. I'm suprised that no one has mentioned that Yellowknife looks just like Sudbury in that respect... the resemblance is almost uncanny.

I have a question for Yellowknifers... is it possible to have ship traffic come up the Mackenzie from the Arctic? I know it is a very large river, and is only crossed by ferries. From looking at maps, I've always wondered in Yellowknife had the potential to be a port. I've noticed too that a rail line terminates at Hay River across the lake... are goods delivered from Hay River?
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 12:35 AM   #100
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12147

I didn't know a lot about Yellowknife, and am happy you took the time to create this
thread!!
I'm surprised at all the development, and very impressed! 8.5/10